Media Player software

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Mutoid, May 13, 2016.

1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @ThomasMann: I'm not sure that it does, but it handles pretty much anything I throw at it. And you don't need to download a codec pack for it to work.

At least I haven't had to so far.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I like it for 2 reasons:
    installs its own codecs
    automatic subtitle download

P.S. I don't use BSPlayer to play youtube videos...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    No you need no codec packs they, both vlc and mpc-hc, have portable versions that you can stick on a usb drive and run on any Windows machine irrelevant of codecs on that machine.

4. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Sorry to insist....

I have unsinstalled MPC again, because it does not allow me to watch documentaries, Talkshows or programs like Horizon at 1.5 speed. Vlc does this with one click, and the result saves a lot of time.

Other VAST disadvantages of MPC compared to VLC:

VLC offers Screenshot,
    record excerpts of everything you watch,
    allows you to run certain excerpts of the video you watch in a loop as many times as you want.

EVERYTHING with one mouse click.

But still... my question:
    Can I use VLC without a codec pack like K-Lite, or will there be problems?

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    VLC already has a lot of codecs to play just about anything you can throw at it.
    Not sure if adding a K-Lite codec pack would make any differences

6. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Well you seem to be using VLC, so... have you run into any problems?

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I've been using VLC for years and never had any problems, except for trying to play something that's been locked by Windows WMP licensing DRM.
    I have WMP on my Windows 7 pc disabled....don't want or need it

8. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Yes, you can.

9. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Try playing a blu-ray wthout any codecs.
    We eagerly await your results.

10. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    @JFKI: you can always rip the blu-ray to mkv/mp4. ;)
    Even though I own a few blu-rays I never play them. I rip them to mp4 and then I play the mp4 as many times as I want. ;)

11. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    I know I could do that, but it is usually easier to just download someone else's rip.

My point was that you can not play most blu-rays without the proper codec even in mpc-hc...
    And that includes the version of mpc-hc included with CCCP as found out last nght.

12. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    And which codec would that be? MPC-HC can decode all the Blu-ray video formats (MPEG-2, H.264, and VC-1). Pretty sure it can decode most audio formats also.
    It's probably not a codec issue, so the codec pack isn't going to be of any help either.

13. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    So true.

That's why I use BSPlayer Pro and not other media players. ;)

14. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Why the hell should "we"? So that you don't have to answer my question or put up with other people's differing opinions here?
    "Codec packs" unnecessary. Deal with it.

15. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    I play all different movie formats, DVD's and Blu-Ray's and have yet to download any kind of codec pack in order to play something.

Bottom line ..... keep your player(s) and drivers up to date and you'll never have to download a codec pack.

16. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    PotPlayer for all usage (video, audio, streaming)

17. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I once installed KMPlayer ..... oh what a terrible mistake !

It's one of those apps that hooks itself in all over the place ( eg "File association " is enabled by default )

I uninstalled with IOBit Uninstaller , which is usually pretty good at picking up the scraps , if you select Deep-Scan
    but months later , I am still finding left-overs in the registry ( 54 remained after the uninstall )

A lesson to be learned .... it does nothing that other plays can't do just as well , or better , and it it leaves it's
    filthy footprints EVERYWHERE !

18. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    #59 Dark Knight, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Revo Uninstaller would have picked up on all those leftover registry entries the first time around.

The only thing iObit makes that is worth anything is it's driver booster.

19. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012