Memory Usage Goes Up Gradually (Memory Leak)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by raya2, May 25, 2010.

1. dgriff20

dgriff20 MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Had one once and it stopped when I updated chip-set drivers on my DFI DK P45.

2. raya2

raya2 MDL Novice

May 25, 2010
    Yes my CPU (P4) is HT
    I checked my PC with 3 Antispywares

3. raya2

raya2 MDL Novice

May 25, 2010
    How can I do it ?

4. raya2

raya2 MDL Novice

May 25, 2010
    Yes - I know that Avast could be a problem , but I uninstalled and replaced it with Avira Internet Security and my problem didn't solved

I have more than 600 softwares and games installed on my PC , how can I uninstalled them one by one and wait one day for each of them to see if they are problem or not ( it takes 2 years)

5. raya2

raya2 MDL Novice

May 25, 2010
    I updated intel chipset driver last day but nothing changed

6. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    I have an old computer with Win7 Ultimate, 2 gig of RAM and avira antivirus but don't have mem leak. There is probably one of those "600" apps and games that is making problems.
    I am guessing, but 600 apps (you are using cracks) and one of them screwd your computer.

7. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #28 burfadel, May 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Never ever disable the superfetch service! You also disable prefetching if you do. If you have set it back to automatic!

To disable properly, copy and paste the following in to notepad, save as filename.reg (call it what you like, as long as its .reg) and merge with the registry.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
    "EnableSuperfetch"=dword:00000002
    By default it is set to 3 which applies to programmes and Windows startup.

3 = Both Apps and Windows startup
    2 = Windows startup only
    1 = Apps only
    0 = Disabled

The same applies with the 'Enableprefetcher' key, but that should be left at 3 (which is the same as with XP)

In the task manager, its not the 'free' amount thats important under the peformance tab. The important value is what is shown under 'available' as that is what is available to programmes. This is also mirrored down the bottom as a percentage under 'Physical Memory' which shows whats actually in use by programmes, and of course the 'Memory' graphic.

So whereabouts do you actually see the memory leak? The different between 'available' and 'free' is programme cache, that is immediately given up to programmes if needed, and programmes see the amount under 'available', not whats under 'free'.

There is no benefit of flushing the programme cache, and it will actually detriment performance. Programme cache will still be fully utilised once programmes are loaded even without superfetch, it just won't keep loading the programmes once the memory becomes free.

8. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
  9. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I agree. The Nonpaged value seems a 'little' on the high side.

I made it a philosophy to have only processes running that are absolutely necessary and i have 87MB Paged and 25MB Nonpaged for Kernel.

Attached Files:

• mem.jpg
      mem.jpg
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    A little? Even with every service loaded and every possible bit of kernel hardware (not including drivers) and software support it won't even come close to that value!

11. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Thats why i put 'little' in apostrophes. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. GanjaStar

GanjaStar MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2009
    ctxfisp.exe might be the culprit.

are you absolutely sure you have the latest drivers for your x-fi soundcard?

i know past sets had memory leak issues.

13. raya2

raya2 MDL Novice

May 25, 2010
    Yes - I have the lastest drivers for everything (including Creative X-fi Xtreme Music)
    someone in another forum suggested me to disable my sound card and now I disabled it . maybe it is my problem...

14. MadSheep!

MadSheep! MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2009
    program leek 98%

try to close this programs and use the computer for 2-3 hours

Wacom_TabletUser.exe (Wacom)
    Wacom_Tablet.exe (Wacom)
    PsiService_2.exe (Corel)
    nvSCPAPISvr.exe (Nvidia)
    nvvsvc.exe (Nvidia)

if problem continuous try closing this too
    ctxfihlp.exe (Creative)
    ctxfispi.exe (Creative)
    ctAudSvc.exe (Creative)

15. dgriff20

dgriff20 MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Check in device manager to see if they did update, I needed to use 7 zip to unpack the Intel drivers then manually install each one!

16. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    The Intel chipset drivers aren't drivers per se, they are just .inf files. Updating manually literally won't make a scrap of difference :) - if it does, its because the act of reinstalling the device has fixed it more than just installing the INF reference :)

Proper Intel drivers are like the AHCI/RAID performance driver, AMT, Turboboost...

17. raya2

raya2 MDL Novice

May 25, 2010
    I found something important related to my problem:

Each time I use my hard drives (copying, cutting, writing, downloading files on any of my 3 hard disks) , the speed of memory leak , increasing.(the memory usage goes up more quickly)
    It seems that the source of my problem is related to H.D.Ds.
    I already defragged all of my hard disks but it didn't help.
    Any other solution ?