Memtest86+: How many passes you reccomend?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Demencial777, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Demencial777

Demencial777 MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Hi there!

I'm running memtest86 in one of my laptops to discard RAM failure, so far, after 6 hours and 2 and half passes, no errors popped out...

I've read some people tat says that the first 2 passes are crucial to find errors, while the rest are less subtle or something like that... what do you reccomend, the machine I'm testing has 16 gigs of RAM, and honestly, I don't know if going too far as testing for more than 8 hours will harm my system, and I need it for work.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Thanks in advance.

Cya!

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    A lot of folks test overnight, I'm sure 8 hrs should show something if there is an error. May I ask as to why or the reason your testing your memory?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    depend how much the data is crucial in case of crash
    and if user cant lose time when the os wont boot up

4. Demencial777

Dec 30, 2012
    Ahh, well, I've been having this weird unexpected reboot with Firefox only, in which, randomly, scrolling a page is enough for a WHEA Error Code 20, this doesn't always happens, but if it does, is only with Firefox, I've used Chrome, Edge and even Internet Explorer, and none exhibit this weird thing...

I have been told to run Memtest86+ to discard my RAM is bad, which I did, I left it overnight for 12+ hours, and no errors were shown, and since this stressed the CPU too, I also believe the rest of my stuff is fine. the HDD is new (So the clean install of Windows 10 1703), because the one that came originally with this PC was slow as heck, and all the parameters in AIDA64 are good, no shocks or bad sectors...

I had a Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Virtual machines running at the same time in this PC, or even I've been streaming during hours using OBS and using the GPU encoder, and this never crashes or reboots, I've made sure I even used more than 80% of my RAM (hard task with 16 gigs for me) and I have no crashes... I've run a GameCube emulator for hours, and besides a bit of expected heat (Which even runing stability tests, never goes beyond 75 C), I have no reboots or crashes...

The weirdest thing is how this happens, prior to reboot, the cursor lags, like if it was throttling, then it reboots, with succesive Windows Upgrades (from 1511 to 1703) this lag lasts longer, like if the system is trying to recover before atempting to reboot... and then the WHEA thing is written in the event viewer. Again, this only happens with Firefox...

I'm beggining to think it's because I've used a 32 bit version instead of a 64 bit version... I even suspected Avast had something to do, and I replaced it with AVG... even used Defender...

I have all windows updates and cumulative ones, sfc /scannow and Dism Restorehealth find nothing, all my devices are updated and installed.

So... this is the story, ah, there can pass two months or more before Firefox makes this...

Not my case, the OS boots perfectly, I don't use fastboot and the thing reaches desktop in seconds... It's quite fast and never crashes or BSOD's during boot time.

5. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    I mean like server that lose its memory while working is too curial

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Demencial777

Dec 30, 2012
    Mhhh... dunno, sites like tenforums.com or Tumblr can have those kinds of issues? I use Ublock Origin BTW...

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  9. Demencial777

Dec 30, 2012
    Ran AdwCleaner as you suggested, nothing found... not even a single thing... It said everything was clean, Edge, Chrome and Firefox...

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  11. Demencial777

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, I did as you said, also, I decided to jump into the 64bit banwagon, hopefully, I just backup my bookmarks and passwords with Sync so, everything is back without any hassle.

Now let's hope this works XD

Thanks for the assistance! :D

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if it doesnt its graphics (hardware graphics acceleration) or sound driver.. firefox is being recoded to do things faster trying to compete with chrome.

i run memtest 45 mins, never found errors running 6+ hrs that didn't find in first 45 min... except overheated ram causing temporary failure.

13. Demencial777

Dec 30, 2012
    That's what I noticed with memtest and many posts on the net (with photos), as soon as someone sends a person to do the tests, if the RAM is bad, it's more likely to show a problem or errors during the first or second passes, hopefully, thsi laptop is pretty good with temps, is really cool for being an AMD setup.

About Quantum, yeah, seems they are switching to a Rust based engine (servo or something) which claims to be faster than Chrome, I believ thsi was a total recoding for Firefox so, hopefully, that will get rid of all the bugs the browser might have.