Memtest86+ passed, but windows memory diagnosis says hardware error at 15%?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by pirategeek, Apr 30, 2013.

1. pirategeek

pirategeek MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2013
    Hi. I am having a DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM with timings 6-6-6-15. I experienced game crashes in windows 8 and BSODs in windows seven. So, I suspected the RAM and decided to test using windows' inbuilt memory check utility. It said I had an hardware problem at 15% and then it froze, I reset the system by holding power button and told myself I will replace the stick. but my store guy won't give me a new stick easily, so I had to be sure. I ran memtest 86+ 4.20. and my system passed the test. ( I had power outages at first two tries with power failing at 18% and 30%. so how am I to ascertain that the RAM is actually ok?:confused::confused::confused:

2. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    no one will RMA ram stick which was removed from packaging because it can be damaged by user :biggrin: OC, static electricity damage etc..
    also give BSOD info... like "parameter0(parameter1,parameter2,parameter3,parameter4)"
    but at first, try to clean golden ram pins with some clean cloth.

3. Vogt

Vogt Guest

#3 Vogt, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
    it is very low timings for 1333, normal timings for 1333 due to JEDEC standart is CL9 = 9-9-9-24
    try to raise the voltage a little bit .. or set up timings 7-7-7-20
    one of my computers has Kingston HyperX RAM 1333/7-7-7-20/1.5v
    and it even does not boot at 1333/6-7-7-20/any voltage up to 2.0v

4. pirategeek

pirategeek MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2013
    First, i'm not going to RMA it, but claim warranty of 1 year period. and secondly, i reinstalled the os, so no info regarding the BSOD. and, since the RAM is fairly new, (1 week old) i don't think there will be a contact pins problem. My question's intention was to get the answer- is windows mem diagnostic wrong, or is memtest86+ wrong. i know it is difficult to say using the info i gave, but I think guys at MDL can give fairly correct opinions. Thanks:D

5. Vogt

Vogt Guest

#5 Vogt, May 1, 2013
    contacts may become contaminated during transporting or labeling, sometimes there even left a piece of scotch tape on the contacts
    usually contacts of RAM should be rubbed with a pencil eraser
    neither Win memtest nor memtest86 is not wrong
    if one of them shows errors it means that something wrong with your RAM (or with settings of RAM)
    (the more you said that there were BSODs in games)

Gabris, you are wrong here, the warranty remains in this case, but there should be no visible damage. Hi, btw :)
    (according to the laws of the country, in different countries it's slightly differently)

6. pirategeek

pirategeek MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2013
    How do I change the timings, there seems to be no option in my BIOS for doing so.

7. Vogt

Vogt Guest

#7 Vogt, May 1, 2013
    I do not know :) Coz I do not know what is your PC. :)
    even if there really is not, you can try MemSet (search in Google, I can not post links) and look in the BIOS option to increase the voltage on RAM. But with MemSet you can change the timings only in Windows, that is, after the change of timings with memset you should check the memory tests in Windows (for example, Prime95, Aida64 etc).

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #8 LatinMcG, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
    sometimes its XM profile or something

also keep in mind i saw 1 rare mass case with kingston 1gb ddr sticks in 2007 that would pass memtest yet they caused crashes on all computers.

if its a desktop and u have a spare power supply.. try that.
    sometimes power is unstable and cause issues like this

9. pirategeek

pirategeek MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2013
    OK. I will run another couple of tests with both windows mem diag and also memtest86+. Now lwt us come to the RAM itself. My speccy report shows this:
    TypeDDR3
    Size4096 MBytes
    Channels #Single
    DRAM Frequency400.0 MHz
    CAS# Latency (CL)6 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)6 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP)6 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS)15 clocks
    Command Rate (CR)1T

TypeDDR3
    Size4096 MBytes
    Manufacturer
    Max BandwidthPC3-10700 (667 MHz)
    From my processor's specs(Pentium dual core e5500@2.8 Ghz), i understand that the FSB is 800 Mhz. does that mean my RAM will run only at max 800 mhz?
    If yes, then why is i`t telling 400 mHz in speccy?. Please point me to some resource regarding RAM timings, frequency and relations between FSB and RAM.
    Also, does overclocking FSB affect RAM frequency?:coffee:

10. Vogt

Vogt Guest

pirategeek,
    I can not post the links here, read my Private Message to you

11. Vogt

Vogt Guest

#11 Vogt, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
    I'm here again ..
    - yes, your CPU has FSB=800 and your RAM can not be higher than 800 frequency
    if you do not overclock the CPU by increasing FSB frequency..
    (and usually there is no multiplier for the RAM more than 2:1)
    If you will overclock your CPU then your RAM can be higher.
    Though, for the overclocking you should search again in your BIOS options for CPU/FSB/RAM frequency control..
    - and It shows 400 coz DDR = Double Data Rate, it means that real frequency is 400 and effective =2*400
    for DDR3 1333 it means that it has real frequency = 667 and effective = 667*2=1333
    Your main problem is that you have DDR3 1333 and your CPU has FSB=800,
    here are a few options :
    1. your RAM and CPU, Mobo may not be fully compatible
    - in this case, the problem of memory errors may be unsolvable in general
    2. your RAM is designed to operate at 1333 but runs at 800, for that BIOS drops timings,
    6-6-6-15 timings are normal for the 800, I thought you had really working memory at 1333 when I said that it is too low 6-6-6-15 timings for 1333
    but 6-6-6-15 is too low for your DDR3 which is designed to operate at 1333
    6-6-6 is normal for 800 but not for your memory stick
    - Lowering timings it is like the overclocking, it requires a voltage increase
    As I said above - you have to find the option and try to increase the memory voltage.
    3. You can try to exchange your RAM DDR3 1333 -> DDR3 800 for compatibility and stability
    but I think that you will not find DDR3 800 in our days
    from information you provided, I still see only one way:
    - again, as I said above - you have to find the option and try to increase the memory voltage.
    Try it :)

12. pirategeek

pirategeek MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2013
    Thanks for the detailed info Vogt. Thanks for taking the time to reply.:worthy::worthy: