Merge Windows 7 & 8 Install

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by 666dsa666, Nov 20, 2012.

1. 666dsa666

666dsa666 Guest

Hello !

I'm trying to find a way to merge two install from 7 & 8.

I got the two isos, extracted the .WIM and .ESD but is that possible to merge them to have one USB stick to install the two OS ?

I'm currently trying to merge the .WIM but I'm not sure about what i'm doing ...

Do you think it's possible or am I losing my time ?

Thanks !

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I think you'll just lose your time!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 666dsa666

666dsa666 Guest

I'm currently merging a WIM from Windows 8 Pro and a WIM from 7, everything seems ok.

Will test in a few minutes...

4. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    i already tried this and tested in a vmware.
    I used Windows 8 ISO and applied the Windows 7 Images to the WIM, and installation was fine.

But you maybe wont be able to repair a Windows 7 installation with that disc.

5. 666dsa666

666dsa666 Guest

#5 666dsa666, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
    (OP)
    Repairing is not necessary, thanks for the information.

You have done exactly what I'm doing.

But it seem's that i will get a few problem with the 7 Installation.

The 7 installlation contain an Install.wim and another .wim ...
    If I look inside the second it seems to be used to replace some files from the install.wim, but I'm not sure...
    I'm trying to copy the modified install.wim and the second .wim from the 7 Installation.

Maybe if I merge the files from the second wim in the first one it will work ?

EDIT : I'm trying to install Windows 7, but it asked me a product key...
    I'm trying to find a way to install it without entering a key.

EDIT2 : Found a way : EI.CFG

6. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    #6 VelleX, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    As i wrote i applied the Images inside the Windows 7 install.wim to the Windows 8 install.wim.
    I also added the x64 editions of Windows 8 and Windows 7 to this install.wim.

Also i added a file "ei.cfg" to the sources folder with this content, so i can choose which edition to install, and also do not have to enter a serial

Code:
    [Channel]
    Retail

[VL]

7. 666dsa666

666dsa666 Guest

#7 666dsa666, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    My EI.CFG is the same as your's ;)

I have merged the 7 Install.wim inside the 8 Install.wim too, only x64 editions.

I will try to find if the second .wim is really needed.

I will also try to delete the upgrade option soon.

I have also integrated a SetupComplete.cmd.

It allow me to install some software once the install finished.

It open a menu where I choose 7 or 8.

And the If I install everything or only a few software (Office 2010/2013, Java, Flash, MSE, Activation of 7/8 + Office, .Net 4.5)

For now the install files are using 9Go, I will try to trim it later.

8. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    which second wim? Do you mean the boot.wim? This WIM is needed if you boot from DVD. The Windows Setup is in there, and also the recovery Environment.

9. 666dsa666

666dsa666 Guest

#9 666dsa666, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
    (OP)
    In my files I got :
    Install.wim
    Boot.wim
    Arium.wim

I'm not sure if I need Arium.wim as I've use an unatended called Windows Arium which seems to use Instal.wim and Arium.wim but I'm not sure...
    I will try to delete it, if it work I don't need it...

EDIT : I've sent a MP to the Arium creator, I will maybe get an answer...

EDIT2 : I use OOBE.cmd, is there a way to use it in Win 7 but not in Win 8 ?
    Thanks !

EDIT3 : Will try this :
    %RQR1% | findstr /I "WINDOWS" | findstr /I "8" >nul&&%INL% SET WINVERSOMETHING&goto :END

EDIT4 : It works !

I have a few last things to do :
    *Change OS Name
    *Delete the upgrade feature
    *Delete Arium.WIM
    *Make SetupComplete.CMD with GOTO

*7/8 are asking key at first start...

Here is the Final Result :
    Dual Install 7//8
    No upgrade feature
    Office, Java, MSE, Flash, .net4.5 installed and Activated
    7//8 Activated
    Less than 10GB ( Will try to trim it ;) )

10. DvZ

DvZ MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2013
    Hi all,i I used Windows 8 ISO and applied the Windows 7 Images to the WIM , and used the windows 8 iso as base to boot from, now i have the following issue, it boots i see the windows 7 en 8 installations to choose from, but for every windows 7 i choose i get the error it can't find the eula licence file. I tried several locations to copy the rtf files to from windows 7 , but without luck , it keeps failing on the eula. Can someone tell me how this is done. THX

11. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Do you have the EI.CFG file? What "Channel" did you use? I saw Windows 7 does not include EULA for Volume License. Only Evaluation, Retail and OEM.

12. DvZ

DvZ MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2013
    VelleX, I used the following ei.cfg
    [Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]

13. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Maybe you could look in the Log file for the error
    c:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log

But the log file will be deleted if you close the setup.

Is your Windows 7 the same Language as the Windows 8?

14. DvZ

DvZ MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2013
    The error i found in setuperr.log is Error IBS Callback_License_LoadLicenseText: SkuGetImageEulaAsString Failed to get the EULA; hr = 0x80070714:[gle=0x00000714]
    Error [0x060613] IBS Callback_License_LoadLicenseText:An error occurred while retrieving the EULA; hr = 0x80070714[gle=0x00000490]
    Now you mention languages, my windows 8 images are all dutch, while my windows 7 images are dutch and english in one . i'm gonna create a new wim.image with only one language lets see what that does, i also made one folder of licence and one folder of licences and copied that to each individual single language wim image. i'm about to combine them to one . will let you know the outcome thx for your response

15. DvZ

DvZ MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2013
    vymrdal, i created a multiboot usb , with ERd and dos utils , i only needed the option to install windows 7 and 8 to it. not familair with pe that much. VelleX you set me thinking, i added the windows 7 licence folder located in C:\Windows\System32\nl-NL to both windows 8 wim files in the same location C:\Windows\System32\nl-NL , now it boots and installs windows 8 or windows 7 :)

16. joellem

joellem MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2011
    can u upload your work sir tnx i really u did a good job and wanted to test it my self