Methods to deal with Windows Updates

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pf100, Dec 7, 2016.

1. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    WUMT = WUA API interface

it's not a downloader for complete update packages

Offline mode = Offline "check" with wsusscn2.cab
    the actual downloading/installing is from WU servers

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  3. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    I've gotten Win10 to NOT update by running a cmd script to disable the various updating services. So far it has worked, not a single update seen. Then those version upgrades come along and all of a sudden I get a message box saying Windows is ready to install the next version.

It seems to kill the small time patches, disabling updating services will do but does NOT work on version upgrades.

What do I need to do so Win10 never downloads "Upgrade Assistant" onto my Win10 PC?

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Or you can simply block svchost.exe in the firewall. :31:

But you have to setup DNS servers first, disable DNS Client service, restart.
    Code:
    wmic nicconfig where DHCPEnabled=TRUE call SetDNSServerSearchOrder ("1.1.1.1")
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "4" /f

5. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    #46 eatup, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    OK. So after reading the few pages of this thread, I've come up with a new cmd script to permanently disable Win10 updates and version upgrades.

Would someone more knowledgeable than me critique the following script (are there any relevant services I might have left out?):

Code:
    :start
    net stop "BITS"
    sc stop "BITS"
    sc config "BITS" start=disabled
    net stop "wuauserv"
    sc stop "wuauserv"
    sc config "wuauserv" start=disabled
    net stop "dmwappushservice"
    sc stop "dmwappushservice"
    sc config "dmwappushservice" start=disabled
    net stop "DiagTrack"
    sc stop "DiagTrack"
    sc config "DiagTrack" start=disabled
    net stop "AJRouter"
    sc stop "AJRouter"
    sc config "AJRouter" start=disabled
    net stop "DcpSvc"
    sc stop "DcpSvc"
    sc config "DcpSvc" start=disabled
    net stop "WSearch"
    sc stop "WSearch"
    sc config "WSearch" start=disabled
    net stop "Wpnservice"
    sc stop "Wpnservice"
    sc config "Wpnservice" start=disabled
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService" /v "Start" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "4" /f
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UserDataSvc" /v "Start" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "4" /f
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UnistoreSvc" /v "Start" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "4" /f
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PimIndexMaintenanceSvc" /v "Start" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "4" /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\current\device\System" /v "AllowExperimentation" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "0" /f
    erase c:\windows\updateassistant\*.* /q
    net stop "UsoSvc"
    sc stop "UsoSvc"
    sc config "UsoSvc" start=disabled
    net stop "RpcSs"
    sc stop "RpcSs"
    sc config "RpcSs" start=disabled
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" /Disable
    ren "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" "Schedule Scan.bak"
    md "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan"
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" /Disable
    ren "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" "Scheduled Start.bak"
    md "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start"
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot" /Disable
    ren "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot" "Reboot.bak"
    md "%WINDIR%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot"
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot" /Disable
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "DisableOSUpgrade" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "1" /f
    pause

(P.S: Before running this script, first turn off Wi-Fi/disconnect LAN. Then go to Control Panel and uninstall Windows Update (Assistant) patches/software from 1. "Uninstall a program" and 2. "View installed updates" (this is found in the left panel of "Uninstall a program". Finally, reboot and run the above script as Administrator...)

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Just a quick review: Disabling those tasks does not work since 1709 or 1703, at least not like this, you need more permissions. UsoSvc/wuauserv services will start, even when disabled.

7. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    #48 eatup, Apr 14, 2018
    OK. I went to c:\windows\system32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator and I see...

in addition to scheduled scan and USO, there are a bunch of things dealing with UpdateAssistant.

How come no one did anything to UpdateAssistant among the pages of this thread?

(I did add a one liner in my above script to delete everything in c:\windows\UpdateAssistant)

8. JWilly

JWilly MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Also
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\DisableOSUpgrade
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess
    Set to 1

9. JWilly

JWilly MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks. DisableWindowsUpdateAccess works though. I couldn't fetch updates with the Windows Update service running. I still think firewall is the best solution.

10. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    I don't see this key in regedit (my version of Windows 10 is really old). How to recreate the key?

Anyways I think the root of the problem is the Update Orchestrator (USO).

Basically, USO downloads UpdateAssistant.exe which then does the rest. Take care of USO, UpdateAssistant never gets the chance to do its job...

11. JWilly

JWilly MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Create new DWORD 32-bit value and name it DisableWindowsUpdateAccess and set it to 1.

12. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    #54 eatup, Apr 14, 2018
    OK. So tell me if I'm doing this correctly:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "DisableOSUpgrade" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "1" /f

13. JWilly

JWilly MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2010

Yep that's right.

14. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    It's weird. I fire up regedit. The keys show with two options: Hexadecimal (selected) and decimal.

Is this correct?

Anyways, I added those two new lines to the bottom of the script in this post:

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...ith-windows-updates.72328/page-3#post-1427152

15. JWilly

JWilly MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2010
    It's right. You'll notice you can't check for updates even with the Windows Update service running. You'll get error 0x8024002e. When you change it back you may need to reboot for it to take effect.

16. sr3tlaw

sr3tlaw MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2013
    Like your straight-forward attitude on remaining sane dealing with these damn updates.

17. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. eatup

eatup MDL Member

Jun 22, 2014
    ^ It's a nice suite, but it doesn't deal with telemetry nor when UpdateAssistant gets downloaded onto your PC and perpetuates itself no matter how many times you uninstall it. My script above (post #46) covers everything in the suite (I think) plus kills telemetry and UpdateAssistant as well...