Metro apps issues (audio; video; camera...)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by guillaumeiii, Aug 19, 2012.

1. johnnygt

johnnygt MDL Senior Member

Jun 18, 2011
    new Fresh Paint that replaces Paint is available on store but cannot install .when it does it errors and say go to store

2. suasmx

suasmx MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2012
    Install the Media Feature Pack fro N versions of windows 8 (KB2703761)

3. Hentrax

Hentrax MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    Yes. The problem for N editions is easy to to solve : you need to install the media pack.

But I installed the pro edition, and metro apps that need media foundation don't work. I don't know why. (I tried to force the installation of the media pack for N edition, but it didn't change anything.)
    Maybe it was a problem with my previous Windows 7 installation : I had the shark007 codec installed, and "disable Windows media foundation" was checked. Again, I tried to reactivate it, but nothing changes.

So I think that I will need to do a refresh, but I will loose all my installed programs... :(

(excuse my English, I'm french.)

4. tianjinjames

tianjinjames MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2012
    Well, I had exactly the same problem. All you need to do is rollbacking video card's driver to system default.

5. Hentrax

Hentrax MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    Yes! It worked! thank you very much!
    And now, I need to wait for an updated version of the catalyst driver (ATI HD 4850 is not supported by the 12.8)...

6. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Also confirmed as a gfx driver problem in my case, rolled back from the most recent update to the one installed by Win 8 setup and the Metro apps music and video now work.

I spent ages trying to resolve this. I was convinced it may be because I'd uninstalled Win Media Player, even did a clean install but was updating the gfx driver straight away. Also wondered if it was something to do with installation of MPC Home Cinema, nope. Read advice elsewhere and uninstalled and re-installed the apps from App Store - no difference. Rolled back gfx driver - everything works, so I guess it's a case of waiting for a compatible driver from the card manufacturer. NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT.

btw: Can't really see much point to the video app (on a desktop machine), as it obviously plays everything fullscreen and has minimal controls. Can however confirm that from a clean installation it plays MP4 (x264 video and AAC audio) and avi (XviD video and AC3/MP3 audio).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Issue resolved. Discovered there was a newer driver for Win 8 Pro x64 (GeForece R302 v302.82). Installed and rebooted, Metro music and video apps still working fine. Any previous version of the driver had stopped them working.

Hope you folks get this issue with your systems resolved soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Misaki2010

Misaki2010 MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    I have problems with playback on Music app too... works when I'm using the default video card drivers (WDDM 1.1) but after I install the 12.6 (Windows 7) drivers through device manager, it stops working :( ... I would use WDDM but I need the drivers for games...

9. iamaliazeem

iamaliazeem MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2012
    ****RESSOLVED****
    I recently installed Windows 8 Ent. and got the OS activated as well. I was also facing the same problem with metro apps. Even i am unable to download "Music" app from microsoft.
    Thanks to "McRip" who gave the link to download hotfixes.. The hotfix at this location has solved my problem and i am able to play audio...video and also you tube app video online.
    On that site you need to go to /x64/Additional/MediaFeaturePack_forNandKNversions/

Thanks,McRip. Good luck to others.

10. DaveDeviant

DaveDeviant MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    Problems with Maps. Can't detect my correct location, always "put me" 20, 40 km away and the bad thing is that I can't change default location after that. Will be nice if they add a option to do that.