Microsoft Anti-Spy PeerBlock List

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by thorin0815, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Trickz

Trickz MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2015
    Do not use any download managers when downloading from workupload.

2. sjaak1234

sjaak1234 MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2012
    #42 sjaak1234, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Hi guys,

I think I found a couple of IP's that should be on the list. I'm no networking expert by any means but I've recently been playing around with pfsense and logging the traffic coming from my windows 10 vm.

I already removed/shutdown some other things before installing peerblock but these IP's are still going through.

# settings-win.data.microsoft.com

# fe1.update.microsoft.com (or
    dmd.metaservices.microsoft.com.akadns.net according to some links on google)

65.55.54.43 can't find what this one resolves to.

111.221.29.174 is the background intelligent service so this is safe I think.

Other than that I only see akamai and spynet ip's being contacted.

PS. i'm only logging port 80/443.

edit: wow okay, PB just borked itself. Tried adding those ip's to the original text file but that didn't work. Redownloaded the file and put it in PB but it just stopped blocking one IP that is one the list... made a additional list for my IP's but those aren't blocked either.

Is there some kind of special magic required to make your own list? It seems pretty simple (apart from the weird wording in the interface) but it doesn't seem to work...

3. sjaak1234

sjaak1234 MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2012
    Does the paid subscription give you a list of only IPs? Peer-block doesn't boot before network connectivity is established so there is still some communications with the MS servers.

Tried grep to filter the files but as I don't have experience with grep that isn't working too well. Doesn't help that all windows grep utilities seem to be rather s**te as well... simply saving output seems impossible on most software (because hey, why provide users with decent documentation).

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    For the life of me I've tried to look at both sides of this, even tried some of the blockers, ended up with y/n.
    So I made my decision on what would repair Windows 10 if it broke or needed repair, so if you try and block,
    forget sfc /scannow and DISM repair, there are so many things going out, stopping a few serves no purpose besides messing up your OS, I do not agree with the information gathering, but I do want a OS that works as it should, so shoot me (with BB gun), I'm leaving Windows 10 alone, it has other problems besides Sware:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. agalipe1

agalipe1 MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2009
    #47 agalipe1, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    having problems with default list updating saying needs subscription. any one else having this trouble? Was working fine until a few days ago

Attached Files:

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes, I had that, too, but it seems inconsistent. Maybe a fluke, or multiple PB instances behind one router.

7. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    @agalipe1

Had same problem. Just uninstall and reinstall and it will reset counter for max free downloads.

8. agalipe1

agalipe1 MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2009
    Thanks works again

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I am not going to block anything but ads. I have read many posts in many forums, and the only people who have issues are the people who hog-tie windows with anti spyware programs. Then they cry and moan when windows doesn't work like it should, and say how evil MS is when they themselves are the ones who broke windows. This is the age of the cloud so we had better get used to internet communications. I have dreamed of this day since I bought my first computer umpteen years ago. Now, it is starting and you guys are crying! It doesn't make sense to me. I'm lovin' it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    #52 Super Spartan, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  11. shanye

shanye MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2015
    I use the same list, and like yourself I find nothing of any consequence is broken.

12. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014

thanks bro, same here, just wanted to make sure