Microsoft Crippling Windows Updates on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Super Spartan, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
  2. allowingtoo

allowingtoo MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    OK, this does NOT make any sense. I just realized that the computer I had bought had the original Windows Vista Premium Home Key on the bottom of it. So I loaded Vista on it and decided to upgrade it to Windows 7 with the legitimate Key. Right?

Vista loaded and accepted the key. No problem there. I burned the Windows Home edition to DVD and loaded that. It went through all the updates and then it wanted the key! I wasn't expecting that. I tried the Vista key and it would not take that.

I thought it would be an easy upgrade. An in place upgrade. What am I doing wrong?

3. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #43 Skaendo, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

It will only be eligible to upgrade legitimately if the BIOS has SLIC2.1 in it. There are a lot of utilities that can check for it, I use Aida64. If it doesn't have SLIC2.1 then you can search for or request a modded BIOS in the BIOS forum. Or you can just use Windows Loader.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Some manufacturers sold Vista machines around 2008/2009 with a promise of an eventual free upgrade to Win 7 when it was available. If this is the case, there would probably be a bios update available from the manufacturer web site. Other than that, there has never been any sort of official and free Vista to Win 7 upgrade.

Even if he has slic2.1 in bios, he would still need the correct oa 2.1 certificate and serial to upgrade to or install Win 7. He said earlier that Daz loader didn't work, but it seems really odd that it would not work on a Vista generation machine. He might need to install with legacy mode checked.

5. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    My thoughts on M$ screwing with Win7 updates is that I don't think they are. There is probably just too much traffic these days with all the upgrading and downgrading going on.

That said you are doing a lot of work and trying to fix this updating thing. It's not going to happen. I have been there and done that!! Nothing worked for me, I still had to wait it out.

>Install Win7 Ultimate
    >Use Daz loader
    >Start windows update
    >let it run and walk away
    >It may take an hour or it may take a day but it will go through

You have already spent over a week now trying and this could have been done a long time ago. Just stay cool and let it run. I have gotten through in just under an hour at times and other times I had to let it run through the night. All on new installs of Win7 Ultimate. After you get through this first update the rest will happen much quicker.

6. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes indeed, I saw Win7 updates running slow long before Windows 10 was released, perhaps now it is just getting even slower. The idea that it is something they do deliberately is a bit far fetched. Let it wait, or try using the Simplix pack often mentioned here.

7. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

After performing clean Win 7 installation just download and install IE 11 manually. Then reboot and install latest Windows Update Client.

8. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    #50 Bat.1, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Well, Bat gotta give the M$ Gurus credit for being more smarter than He thought they were. Since they can't "Legally Force" Win-7 users to upgrade to Win-10 they've pretty much made Win-7 unusable by this updating mess. Yesterday I upgraded a Compaq laptop with a Celeron 900 and 2GBs of 800 Ram from Win-7 HP to Win 10 Pro. Pretty much didn't have any other choice. I'd run it for Three 16-18 Hour Days at 100% CPU usage and 98% RAM usage and it still hadn't found any updates. Even with a box fan blowing directly on it I was afraid it'd set the House on fire. Today I'm attempting to update My Wife's Rig as well as another similar PC with an extra Win 7 OS drive. Both have Athlon 2x4's running at 3.2Ghz with 8GB of 1333 RAM. Both have been "searching" close to a Hour using 25-30% CPU and 2.0 to 2.2GBs of RAM. The "Spare" OS is just for testing purposes, But with My Wife's Rig it's Important that I stay with Win-7. Looks like I'll have to manually install updates from now on. Thank You MicroSUCKS :mad:
    Edit: Both finished finding the updates after 70 minutes :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. shtrumf

shtrumf MDL Junior Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Maybe this will fix your problem guys : hxxps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
    Quote from description : "Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2"

10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    #52 Bat.1, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Found the "FIX" for the problem on the extra "Test" Rig but it's not working on The Wifey's :( I'll have to do another restart maybe :confused: Anyway all I did was un-hid the hidden updates. :eek:Restarted and then checked and installed everything except the optional updates. Checks for updates in no time now and CPU is down to 0-1% and RAM usage is 1.3GBs at the Normal 16% idle usage. Wife's Rig is giving a Red Failed message so I just re-booted and I'll run fixit if it fails again.
    Update: SOLVED..Still slower searching than 8.* or 10 but it finds updates and resource usage drops to normal. Damn, that was at "Stupid Bat" Simple Level :p
    No guarantee it'll help everybody or it'll even stay working, but that's what worked for me

11. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I too have a "test" machine. I created an Acronis image of a Windows 7 Professional SP1 clean install. I have restored the image many times to see how long the updates took. Very inconsistent so far. Sometimes it takes hours, but I have also seen it done in 30-40 minutes. Not convinced MS is doing anything on purpose. Just seems to be random, so far.

12. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    I also thinks it's not intentional
    but it's definitely caused by the upgrade offer and gwx stuff, because it's start to happen when that stuff started

13. Mavericks Choice

Mavericks Choice MDL Guru

Aug 5, 2015
    The rate they're going will have to go back to XP or Linux :lol:

14. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
  15. wmh

wmh MDL Member

Jun 30, 2015
  16. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #58 tonto11, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Exactly, and when you're done , from Windows update "view update history" will show only the updates after simplex , click on "installed updates" to show all the updates,
    and look in c:/windows/ updatepack7.log to see which were installed by simplex.

And when doing nothing the cpu now rests at between 2% and 15% like it's supposed to.

...T

17. patriarch

patriarch MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2016
    Thanks chris I didnt know about that. This is super helpful! I had the same problem from s**tty M$.

18. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Just last week I installed Windows 7 x64 SP1 into a VirtualBox VM. Following that, I used WSUS Offline Update (from inside the W7 VM) to download updates and install them. Following that, Windows 7 update ran as fast as it ever did on any platform.

WSUS is my chosen vehicle to get initial updates following a new installation; there are others just as good if not better. The whole process took something on the order of 30-40 minutes, but as long as I saw actions being taken I was happy. The time to completely update is irrelevant to me, I just started the process, made a mug of coffee and did other stuff.

I like things to work as intended and designed too, but it's just not worth my time to put up with how slow Windows 7 update can be when there are simple fixes available.