[DISCUSSION] Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by SAM-R, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Leopeva64

Leopeva64 MDL Expert

Oct 4, 2016
    #701 Leopeva64, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad

Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad MDL Junior Member

Mar 28, 2018
    I liked it better the other way :31:
    ---------------------------------------------
    When I hover over tabs, that information card rapidly flashes. Also in order to change page, I have to click multiple times on a tab for it to work.
    This build is a bit more buggy than the ones I've tried so far.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad

Mar 28, 2018
    Yes, it gets even worse! but it does solve the multiple click problem.

5. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    Microsoft says it will be adding Fluent effects like light, acrylic, connected animations, and more to the new Chromium Edge over time.

6. bonesz

bonesz MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2013
    in new version 76.0.151.0

• Spell Check Enabled
    • Can remove/delete the default search selection (Bing) and others, and has Google, DuckDuckGo, and Bing pre-installed
    • Other stores option, now maintains its enabled/disable status. (I would enable it, and when closing the browser it would disable upon restarting.)
    Did not see dark mode. but happy with the above new/improved settings

7. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Go to edge:flags

Search Dark Mode = Microsoft Edge theme / #edge-follow-os-theme

Hit Enable... enjoy :)

8. Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad

Mar 28, 2018
    #713 Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  9. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    is there a portable version of the latest? :)

10. Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad

Mar 28, 2018
    Yes. :)

11. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
  12. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Ain't nothing but these two options in Canary 151 (latest), and I use an extension to always give me about:blank personally, can't stand the "start page" crap myself, just gets in the way of what I want to do but I realize other folks do love that NTP stuff. As far as sluggish performance, nothing like that on my machine with 10 extensions installed. It starts in under 1 second, loads pages lickety split, no RAM issues to speak of, beats the equivalent version of Chrome in benchmarks in my testing (mainly BrowserBench.org tests). It literally "just works" for me so far, it's been pretty damned impressive considering how much time has passed since it was announced and where are already with just a few months in the bin. I haven't had one single crash of "Edgium" so far, not one, nothing to complain about at all really.

Microsoft did a smart thing by not really caring to continue developing native Edge and just grabbing the Chromium base to work with - they're letting Google foot the bill for the overall development but yes Microsoft has already dropped like 400 commits to the Chromium codebase so they are actually improving it along with Google so it's a very good thing.

151_NTP_Flags.png

13. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    I agree 100%. This collaboration will be beneficial for the future of the world wide web. I also believe that Microsoft themselves (when they get caught up) will start to add security features and mitigations into Chromium code base which will benefit Edgium but also Chrome and all other Chromium-based browsers. So I am quite excited about this collaboration from a security perspective. Also I believe that Microsoft will add performance related fixes in general for Chromium based browsers on Windows OS since they know the OS better than anyone else. It will be interesting to follow development, for sure.

14. Leopeva64

Leopeva64 MDL Expert

Oct 4, 2016
    I used to use that flag, the problem was that the same background image always appeared, since they removed the white strip at the bottom I no longer use the flag, the NTP is now quite "clean" and neat, I mentioned it in this comment:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/microsoft-edge-chromium-based.79237/page-32#post-1520848