Microsoft: Edge is a fail

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Joe C, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #2 Mr.X, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Are you sure just Edge?

Windows 10 Perma-bloated Edition
    sku: ConvolutedSpyingCloudGossipyCortanaCoreFailure

:tooth:

3. lolnothankyou

lolnothankyou MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2018
    If you're going to let a company spy on all your Internet activity, why choosing Google Chrome over Microsoft Edge? I mean Windows 10 is already spying on all your computer activity, Edge comes preinstalled, why bothering installing Google Chrome and let yet another company spy on all your Internet activity?

If you're going to install a 3rd party browser, why not install Firefox and configure it properly?

https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js
    https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/blob/master/user.js

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    :rofl:, I agree 100%

5. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #5 Muerto, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021

6. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    I think most people care ZERO percent about privacy these days. And I think much of the blame is due to smart phones. The fact is: most people use their smart phone for just about all of their interaction with the internet. And those devices have TOTALLY unbridled operating systems and web browsers. You have to share every aspect of your existence (location, contacts, ad infinitum) simply to install a free game app. It's scary to me how quickly our entire society has been conditioned into accepting all of this as "normal."

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I couldn't agree more. But that can change if your Identity is hijacked or your credit card info stolen.

I would change one word here...

Change "ad infinitum" to "ad nauseum". :D

I just got rid of my cell phone. I still carry it around with me (911 calls are free) I put the money I save each month into 220 mb/s internet.
    A better investment, I think. :)

8. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    You're one smart lady. On a tangent, maybe 15 years ago I went to a buddy's house and he said, "I want to show you this cool website. But I need to go to the store first." So we went around the corner to the store and came back 20 minutes later. The web page still hadn't loaded on his dial-up modem! LOL. So I had to tell him about my cable internet connection. :biggrin5:

9. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    as long as mozilla and 3rd party firefox forks do not adopt chrome we are good.

i value my browser as it is right now, customized to the max.

btw since edge is now chrome does that mean it has no sidebar? because chrome doesn't.

10. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Really fast browser! yikes :thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Edge is not becoming Chrome. It's becoming a Chromium-based browser. There is a difference, namely the Chromium engine is not the Google spying.

If you want privacy, there's another Chromium-based browser named Brave that might be worth checking out.

12. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    MS browser have always been garbage IE edge is all s**t...im FF man all the way.

13. Alukhau

Alukhau MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2019
    Anyone with any idea on proper "FireFox" setup? Please share...

14. JohnDeWoll

JohnDeWoll MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2019
    Mricrosoft is a fail with their software

15. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #15 CHEF-KOCH, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    https://www.github.com/CHEF-KOCH/FFCK

Back to topic:
    I don't understand why people bashing Chrome(ium). Like every software it has flaws, bugs and there are all sorts of people and interests behind the "concept Browser". Not everything is good in Firefox, and not everything is good in Chrome, Chromium.

Saying a browser "sucks" basically shows disrespect for all people who work on the source code and the idea behind the browser itself. We should not forget that a modern Browser is not only "a Browser" there are all sorts of external projects involved and included, like for reading PDF's, Video/Audio etc. So, if you say "Browser X suck" you basically also bash every single included third-party project/lib. I think that's unfair and people are really fast biased and "obsessed" in defending "their favorite browser".

To be honest I go with the Browser which (according to my own needs and philosophy) is the overall winner, if it would be Internet Explorer, fine! Chrome(ium) same like Firefox is not bad, I would not call any of those projects a "failure", it's more like that MS realized that open source can be helpful, and they used Chromium as base now because it's FOSS, widely used and it supports all modern web standards (which are been more or less dictated by MS, Google, Cisco & Co, but that's not a Browser problem overall).

I think MS as well as Chrome and Mozilla in general should be forced to use only web-standards and not some self-cooked standards. This way, Google would also be forced to not implement some BS in their own websites to "cripple" other Browser like Firefox.

Even the old MS Edge wasn't that bad, especially in Audio/Video, it had it's benefits but competing against the well-known engines is difficult and costs a lot of developer power (and money) and that's why not much browser engines overall exists, the "alternatives" are not really a competition because more people are involved in Chrome/Chromium or Firefox development.

I think MS Edge (Chromium) is a step forward and is better than IE/MS Edge, however it's a bit unfair that MS did not provides patches to the original chromium project which is really a bitch move (imho). Other Chromium based Browser like ungoogled-Chromium as well as Brave at least providing in public patches, so that others can use/adopt those changes.

Just re-labeling Chromium is IMHO not enough, especially because MS tries to advertise it as "secure and private" even if such Chromium based forks already existing since the beginnings of Chromium. I'm also not sure if the opt-in telemetry will really help to improve the product, at the end user will report it manually and there are some features which might raise privacy concerns...

16. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Yea, you use Revo Uninstaller. It will wipe all traces of the dreaded FireFox from your system.

17. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Only a very small amount of users would report issues, and they would not send back all the data necessary to resolve issues. Telemetry is a much better way to go as it can report which other programs are running when the issue happened as well as perhaps the computer hardware, etc. All this is done anonymously I will add.

18. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I disagree, Chromium bugtracker as well as Mozilla bugtracker are "full". I would not call that "a handful". MS own feedback program is also not empty (from what I can see). The problem with automatic reports are that no one can see them (because there is no page for such reports provided) and no one actually can see what is "bugged" and what is under review or what is on the "to-do lis".

19. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    :chef: I couldn't agree more with you. I've witnessed the same "pissing contest" take place between text editors, programming languages, etc.

If you don't like a piece of software, then make a list of what you don't like and bring it to the developers' attention.
    If enough people feel the same way, it would be worth it for the devs to invest the time in fixing or redesigning it.