Microsoft gets personal on Windows 7 "show stopper" bug

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HSChronic, Aug 6, 2009.

1. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
  2. fabsta

fabsta MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    i dont get it . :S should i remove the updates from my computer

3. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I would not have installed updates that are not even released on WU to begin with. Should you uninstall them it is up to you.

4. fabsta

fabsta MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    so will my computer seeze up and crash with the updates

5. hersounds

hersounds MDL Junior Member

Jul 24, 2009
    well,i have last chipset drivers,last drivers of all components...i have patches installed and I DON'T HAVE ANY BUG :D

6. windows7cy

windows7cy MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009
    yeah man intel and other companys have already support windows 7 look at the ftp page of any company and you will see that windows 7 utilities and drivers have uploaded to every company's ftp site... :D

7. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    nah install updates and then do clean install after a month when they will start to release them on WU and grab them there :) at least this is my plan, but i was used to reformat every 2 weeks for every beta anyway...

8. fabsta

fabsta MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    i think i might just remove them yeh?

9. Para

Para MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    This is not even a bug. It's just a complete misunderstanding of a feature that was built in. The Chkdsk utility is designed to use all the AVAILABLE memory for its scanning, and will NOT cause the computer to crash.

Try it out yourself.
    Chkdsk C: /r

10. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Well it's nearly 100% true what you have said, just some small corrections :
    - It was intended to use all memory (to speed up the chkdsk operation) except ~50MB which was designed to be left for other appz.
    - Some users were able to replicate crashes during chkdsk operation, but it was narrowed to faulty/outdated chipset drivers and not the OS bug, now confirmed by MS directly.
    - There are several unreleased (officially) patches floating around (on MDL too) that are told to fix the crashes, but I would advise to update the drivers first ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...