Microsoft launches free Windows Thin PC, helps repurpose old systems as thin clients

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by honey01, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Rudi1

Rudi1 MDL Member

May 30, 2007
    I am try this new os windows thinpc but looks like that windows features is turn off and so far I have a problem when I try to install program which one need NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and I always get the same error when I try to install NET Framework 3.5 SP1.The error message is:use the windows features to install or turn off NET Framework 3.5 SP1.Does anyone know how I can install or enable NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in windows thinpc?

2. Rudi1

Rudi1 MDL Member

May 30, 2007
    So far I can't find the solution to install NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
    Is it posible to install NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in this locked windows version?

3. ft@t@lk

ft@t@lk MDL Junior Member

Apr 15, 2011
    try Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ft@t@lk

ft@t@lk MDL Junior Member

Apr 15, 2011
    some more info on this WinTPC

c/p MSDN Blogs

Today Microsoft announced the availability of the Windows Thin PC public Community Technology Program (CTP) release.

Windows Thin PC is a Software Assurance (SA) benefit that provides a low footprint, locked down version of Windows 7 that enables organizations to repurpose existing PCs as thin clients with RemoteFX support included. Any registered user of Microsoft Connect can try it out. To do so, sign on to Microsoft Connect and search products for "Windows Embedded" to find the program "Windows Thin PC."

and here's details about what RemoteFX is

c/p MSDN

RemoteFX enables a full 3D experience in a virtual machine by using 3D graphics and USB redirection. The functionality is included in the Remote Desktop Virtualization Host role service. A user connecting by using Remote Desktop Connection will be able to run rich PC applications in their virtual machine enabled with RemoteFX.

RemoteFX is available in Windows Server® 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1 (SP1).
    ---------------------------------------

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Liebo

Liebo MDL Member

Jul 9, 2009
    I've downloaded this but not really sure if it is worth the bother of installing. The guide I downloaded from Connect says to leave the "key" on install empty as its only valid for 90 days and expires in November or something.

6. Rudi1

Rudi1 MDL Member

May 30, 2007
    I see now,Thanx :)

7. Liebo

Liebo MDL Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Didn't think you could nLite WinFLP? If I remember correctly, it used Vista/7 style install process using the WIM format?

8. Liebo

Liebo MDL Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Oh and this Windows Thin PC will NOT be free for the general public, only Software Assurance customers (corporations for the most part) will be able to obtain it once it goes gold.

9. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
  10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Or use the modded ZWT KMS emulator!!! ;)

11. Rudi1

Rudi1 MDL Member

May 30, 2007
    I try this method on first release but I don't know if I have the correct KMS activator because is not working for me.Which one moded version you mean?

and b.t.w the Windows Thin PC RC is out.

12. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    The RC is the one that works with KMS.

13. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Any KMS that works for Windows 7 Pro or Enterprise (not Office) will work. That's been discussed plenty already.

14. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @Myrrh,

I don't think KMS activation will give Full Activation.
    According to this quote from the connect site, it just extends it from 30 days to 90 days. :(

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Well, its the default rule of time-bombed eval version... The above quote is nor applicable for kms activation!!

16. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I don't know whether it will or not, likely another build or the final release will be out by then. I think it might be likely though, as noted it changed out of the "timebased" channel when activated this way. What the connect site is talking about is activating it with the embedded retail key.

I would guess this is very similar to downloading the Win7 Enterprise evaluation disc. Does that one expire if activated against a real or emulated KMS, or does such activation turn it into a "real" copy?

17. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    The only Eval i've seen of Windows 7 is the 'Enterprise.vhd' which can be forced to active by KMS, but still dies.

The Server 2008 and R2 based Eval's are ISO's which once installed can be activated as either OEM or KMS and work just like regular installs once activated.

Either way to point is mute till it RTM's :biggrin:

18. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Ms offers enterprise 90 day trail.... And yes, they can be easily converted into kms channel and after activating by real or emulated server, they acted as genuine...... U should just activate after 180 days!!

I actually have those isos...

19. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    STARTER vs Thin PC ?