Microsoft launches free Windows Thin PC, helps repurpose old systems as thin clients

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by honey01, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    That's what I thought at first but this one can join a domain, has bitlocker and remote desktop host.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Starter = bastardized Win 7
    ThinPC = modular Win7 embedded (with minimalistic install)

sebus

3. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    #43 BMW, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
    any1 has the direct comparison chart for Thin PC vs STARTER ... I think Starter is a better option . . .

Thin PC doesn't even have all the windows system files !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi BMW,
    Which SKU is the best option, depends on your objectives.

Starter is designed to be used at 'Home' hence it has all the Multi-Media/Game playing features.
    But has builtin limitaions that are ment to get you to upgrade.

Thin PC is designed to be used at 'Work' which is why alot of the Multi-Media/Game playing features have been removed.
    Its builtin limitaions are there to stop you playing around and keep you working.

The only reason Thin PC is worth being concidered by a 'normal' home user, is if the PC your installing it on is to low spec to play most Multi-Media or Games in the first place. ;)

5. Liebo

Liebo MDL Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Agreed, hence, as WinFLP, it will not be available once finshed, to the general public, only software assurance customers (or similar).

6. fafhrd

fafhrd MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2010
    #46 fafhrd, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
    I've been playing with this ThinPC for the last day, and it seems better than Starter, (maybe because i am running it on a larger monitor) although the default UAC makes it feel like VISTA did when it was new. It's OK when UAC is turned down, and you are logged in as an administrator.
    It only just runs with 440MB RAM allocated in Virtual PC 2007, but it is fine with in Virtualbox with 1GB, - it is not really thin at all - taking up about 2.4GB for a new install excluding Swapfile, which is not set up as default - odd.

No backup and restore or create systems disk. No system restore switch on, nor a system protection option in the system properties, but a there is a system restore item in the start menu programs that tells you to switch it on!
    norestore.jpg

No turn Windows features on in control panel - administrator disabled - but can't find where using gpedit.msc or regedit.exe or rsop.msc.

It has the group policy editor, which starter doesn't, and the desktop is customisable. Windows search is missing - but I will not miss it. Search menu has a "run" item like the old days, which I like.

It has more bugs - security and although it asks you to turn the features on - Windows Defender does not work, and Microsoft Security Essentials says it is an unsupported OS, but third party tools are supposed to work.

Sharing a folder over a network works fine, except there is no little shared symbol to indicate that the folder is shared in explorer. Networking in the other direction is fine, at a map network shares level, except I haven't yet ironed out the usual networking problems from within VirtualBox. Got to go from 10.0.2.15 to 192.168.0.101. I can't get usb working properly but that's Virtualbox too! Then there will be homegroups...

Runs windows updates for embedded windows, no problem, downloaded and ran IE9 installation, Chrome, searchmyfiles, hostsman, 7-zip, Editpad, SIW - all work fine. Sound works well, no crackles. Internet fine.

Activated for 90 days eval using slmgr /ato. 5 remaining rearms to go.

Will be reporting the bugs to MS.