Microsoft Office 2010 Unattended Installation (Solved)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by nate302, Jul 21, 2015.

1. nate302

nate302 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2008
    #1 nate302, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    I'm attempting to create an unattended Installation for Microsoft Office 2010, I've created a custom *.msp with the Office Customization Tool, but I ran into a licensing error so here's what I'm trying to figure out:

1)Can Office be installed silently (say with the MSP & OCT) with a trial license?
    2)Can Office be installed silently (say with the MSP & OCT) without a license to then be prompted for one on first run?

We have several licenses for Office 2010, but I don't want to put them in the custom install as this is going to be a custom package for remote deployments to computers. We use PDQ Deploy (yes I know they have a package for it but we have no need for the Enterprise level key).

3) Is there an alternative way to Install Office via an unattended (silent) install?

Thanks for any help!

2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #2 cocachris89, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    To answer some of your questions:

1) Dont think it can be done with a trial key; someone else on the forums should know this for sure though.
    2) Only way to install Office without a license prompt would be to use a volume license version; however for your needs, it wont prompt for a license on first run.
    3) I have a link in my sig that will create unattended answer files for Windows and Office. Once you have the config/xml file, you will need to run something like this:

Code:
    setup.exe /config %location_of_saved_file%\config.xml
    Setup.exe is the Office installation executable.

3. nate302

nate302 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2008
    #3 nate302, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Thanks! I'll give it a try and post back the steps I took to create an unattended setup.

4. nate302

nate302 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2008
    So far, it appears that Microsoft Office Setup checks the key and will fail (not install as trial mode) if the key is invalid.

Since I ultimately have to insert the appropriate key anyways I could always just edit the config file, but installing into a trial mode would make the process better as I can then supply the appropriate key for that machine. These are retail copies of Office.

1) I created an "administrative install" of the Office 2010 installer (downloaded the *.exe package from Microsoft)
    2) I utilized the website linked by cocachris89 and created an answer file
    3) Office Setup exited with the error that the product key was invalid.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Because that kind of setup is intended for VL versions, with VL keys (for which it works just fine)

6. nate302

nate302 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2008
    I ended up creating a deployment package in PDQ that Deploys successfully. The answer file located on a domain admin share worked great, I just have to edit the answer file with the new key prior to deploying it. Beats having to go to a machine or having to walk the install through each step. Thanks for the help! :D

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Having domain you really should have VL version...

8. nate302

nate302 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2008
    It's not always what you should have, but what you have that you need to utilize. :biggrin: