Microsoft Security Essentials is the $h!zn!t!!!

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Ancestor, Mar 6, 2011.

1. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    #21 CRA2YHAVOK, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    +1

Already brought this up elsewhere but I'll say it again, Multi-layered Security is the best way but even then that sometimes isn't enough.

1. Add Tiers of Protection
    2. Reduce System Vulnerabilities
    3. Back It All Up

If 1 & 2 aren't enough and your system is compromised, simply restore using 3 :)

Some may say what a crock of shi... but that's what works for me & I'm not changing it, on every computer I maintain I use those 3 rules, works out great.

Each to their own.

2. Visor1

Visor1 MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2010
    I second your philosophy. Words of wisdom.

3. Buster Bunny

Buster Bunny MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2011
    Avira is much better

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mrthuvi

mrthuvi MDL Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Agree with number 2 and 3. Back up is the most important thing to do, regardless of whatever protection you use. But i think that Multi-layered Security can seriously slow down your computer, especialy old computers.
    I also monitor running processes and startup programs in my computer frequently. That way i can make sure nothing suspicious running behind my back.

5. CRA2YHAVOK

Oct 23, 2009
    Yeah very true, but for those that can I think it's worth doing :)

6. chameleon111

chameleon111 MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2011
    That can be changed in "settings/advanced". Un-check the box: "Scan archive files".

7. slyphnier

slyphnier MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
  8. mockingbird

mockingbird MDL Member

Mar 13, 2011
    WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT MSE:

If you have Windows Update set to only download important updates, your MSE Virus definitions will sit there indefinitely and not update unless you do so manually. For this reason alone, I cannot use it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. mrthuvi

mrthuvi MDL Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Actually i never tried Eset online scan before. It seems that there are differences between results of the web-based scanner with installed antivirus. My installed Eset doesn't picking up anything you said. :) .

And with MSE, my friends get prompted with infected file notification after they edited the host file themselves to reroute some connections.

10. exo-dan

exo-dan MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I have MSE & edit the host file with no alert or problem at all

11. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    put this in it;

# Microsoft Activation
    127.0.0.1 mpa.one.microsoft.com
    127.0.0.1 sls.microsoft.com
    127.0.0.1 genuine.microsoft.com
    127.0.0.1 wat.microsoft.com
    127.0.0.1 mpa.microsoft.com

and watch mse tell you that you have the worst outbreak of any virus ever recorded.

12. creamhackered

creamhackered MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    MSE is great, amazing that it's free :)

13. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I don't know if anyone already answered this, I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, but MSE does have an option checked by default to scan inside archives. However, you can easily turn it off. It's under Settings/Advanced "Scan archive files".

Cheers!

14. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I have all these in my HOSTS file right now, just put them there earlier this evening under my latest Windows 7 installation, and MSE didn't even react.

15. Airbus

Airbus MDL Member

May 10, 2010
    MSE+MBAM (instead of KIS)

This past few months i've been using MSE [i still am].

I was using KIS for 5 yrs and now i turned to MSE (+mbam) for the laptop's performance sake. My laptop is now a lot faster BUT i'm afraid that MSE is not that good as KIS.
    MBAM was blocking my internet connection at startup [automatic startup delayed at mbam], so i've changed mbam to automatic startup.
    that was weird but i found a solution. [i think]

Now i wanna ask u something:
    What dya think guys? Should I return to kis? I am afraid that my laptop is now more vulnerable.

16. CRA2YHAVOK

Oct 23, 2009
    Well I've been using MSE since beta, never had a problem/infection, I too use MBAM and for extra peace of mind I use Hitman Pro as well (All on-demand scanners).

At the end of the day use what you feel comfortable with, I'm sticking with MSE as it doesn't slow my computer down & is simple to maintain.

I used to use Comodo Firewall alongside it but after a while I thought I'd just use Windows 7 own firewall, again I've never had a problem yet :)

17. Airbus

Airbus MDL Member

May 10, 2010
    Is it safe just to use MSE [without anything else]?

18. Airbus

Airbus MDL Member

May 10, 2010
    #38 Airbus, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

I am most comfortable with KIS but KIS slows down my laptop.
    And the keys get blacklisted very fast.

19. Taser

Taser MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Eset Smart Security has very low consumption of system resources

Download a trial version from their website and a trial key which is good for a month of updates

20. Airbus

Airbus MDL Member

May 10, 2010
    My main concern is:

KIS or MSE ?

Which one?