Microsoft Security Essentials & Windows Firewall Combo

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by CRA2YHAVOK, Oct 31, 2009.

1. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I actually use Comodo, I got no knock on Windows firewall. I found it pretty good when used along with Firewall Control. Blocks inbound by default, allow rules and outbound control. Can't go wrong with that.

With Comodo I don't see the point of Defense+. I installed it barebones.

2. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    'Outbound protection' is highly relative and does not equal leak protection.

And it is the leaks (a.k.a. bypassing of your Firewall) you want to avoid.

But then i said all this multiple times already so i guess im starting to repeat myself. If somebody really wants to know more about this, go read the page i linked to. All the info you need is there...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall and UAC is more than good enough to keep your computer clean. Do not install third-party softwares which will make your system slow as hell.

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    There are enough possibilities in AV and FW, that will not slow down your system at all. ESET AV, Comodo FW, Outpost FW, Avast AV and Avira are all very little in resources. And those are just a few that are even lighter then the built in sh**t from m$.

But as fazor allready said, we're beginning to repeat ourselves, so we're gonna stop this discussion now. Y'all got enough info and proof to read about.
    Use your sence, and be objective. I had to switch my security also for something better, so believe me, it's a common mistake...

sincerely

5. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Ok, thanks to everyone who answered, been a big help, think I'm gonna have a look at Comodo's firewall an see how that performs on my system

Thanks again :)

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Please take in consideration, that the first days, you WILL get a lot of poppups when using apps and installing stuff...just choose : "use this app as a trusted app" and check the "remember" box each time, and after few days they will diminish. good security takes some effort ;)

7. Gonzakpo

Gonzakpo MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Windows firewall DOES have outbound protection. The only problem is that is a pain to configure.

Anyway, I think I'll give a go to the combo MSE+Win Firewall.

8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Windows Firewall with Advanced Security is fine if you know how to use it right.

Also a good router goes a long way too.

Windows Firewall has been able to block incoming and outgoing connections since Vista. Most people don't go into admin tools to look at Winfirewall with Adv Security.

Forefront and Forefront code name sterling both use Windows Firewall with Adv Security and they are very highly rated.

9. snowflake

snowflake MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2008
    #30 snowflake, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    Give as much correct information as you like, as long as you do not state that Windows Vista/7/2008 builtin firewall only has inbound protection. By the way, have you tried the advanced security configuration settings? The builtin firewall is FAR more useful than you think. MSE + competent managing of the built firewall + UAC gives a REAL solid and good protection. But of course, to use the advanced fueatures of the builtin firewall demands a knowledgeable user. Competence goes a long way.

You could use Sphinx-softs solution to control the builtin advanced security if you find the original GUI too daunting.

10. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009

A firewall is not solid and good when it will not pass the leak tests. If you do not believe me then run them yourself and see. Comodo firewall passes the leak tests at 100% from levels 1 through 10.

11. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Quite obvious actually, isnt it?

Prime example of 2+2=4

In the words of Matousec Labs:

Wonder exactly what part it is thats so difficult to comprehend here?

But as the old saying goes; you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. In the end people have to decide for themselves what they do or dont want to use, so if the Win solution is what they want then the Win solution they shall have. If their sensitive data gets sent to some hackers-headquarters its their own fault...after all they have been warned...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Thanks, this topic was very helpful.

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    yes i have. tried it in xp, then in vista, now in win7. Still convinced that it can't compete with most thrid party FW's.

I have 3 firewalls at the moment. 2 built-in in my routers, comodo on my main pc, that also acts as aDC when AD is up & running. 2 other pc's & 2 laptops in the network also running comodo now. Studying Network Infrastructures (win & linux) in a fulltime 9 to 5 schoolprogram for adults, so i do know what you're talking about. Read up in google, you'll find many articles and test results if you do some research. My beliefs about winFW go years back untill today. My beliefs are still the same. Leakage in winFW is higher than you might think...

sincerely

14. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I think most people have a bad vibe with Windows built in firewall since XP SP2. It got alot of bad rep cause it just got in the way alot. Everyone thought it stunk and disabled it so everyone they knew did the same aswell... I'd admit that I myself used Sygate instead of the built in fw. You can't compare and say this version is sh!t by just taking some sites word for it and call it gospel.

That being said this built-in firewall when configured correctly is sufficient. Even XP's SP3 firewall has come along way with outbound protection aswell.

15. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    It has improved much over the years, let's not make any assumpions on that.
    When it first came in xp, boy oh boy...what can i say...let's just say i second your statements on that...at least !
    It's come a long way, and for many ppl it will suffice, yes. But someone who cares a great about a full circle protection fence, it just won't.
    It's still no comparison to many third party FW's...and a no go for me...yet. To say it's full blown "firewall"...no...not yet.

16. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    It really is no bad vibe for me. That i had but is long gone. I just still don't prefer it over a few others.

17. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    the big issue with windows firewall is the way it picks and chooses to allow and disallow things. You might have rules setup but sometimes win firewall just decided it is going to be retarded. The only other firewall that I have used that I really detest is SEP's one. It might be the old sygate but whatever symantec did to a great product is long gone (wow symantec bought a product and made it s**t...)

18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Symantec = sh**t

Biggest recource hogg EVERRRRRR

Install the symantec suite...good way to ruine a perfectly good working system.
    Have you ever tried to uninstall it ? GOOD LUCK

I know their last product supposed to use less recources, but i've tried it briefly, and let's say they're still a long way from home? Also gives more false positives then all their previous products.