Microsoft slips in a hidden update w/o consent

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by masterz87, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterz87

masterz87 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    #1 masterz87, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    Ok, as we all remember that "hidden" update that microsoft was saying was goign to be downloaded with your permission has just gotten onto my system even though i told windows update to not download s**t w/o me giving it permission. So watch out everyone, that dammned thing's coming to a system near you very soon. It just was ran on my pc w/o me noticing it till today when it decided to come alive. So now i get to do a reinstall and find some way to get rid of this damned thing.

edit: Nevermind that's just apparently some office bulls**t update. I don't know where this windows update thing came from... but reloading the crack seemd to work for now. I need to find out where this update's hiding...

2. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    What the hell are you talking about

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. masterz87

masterz87 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    i just booted up my pc todya to find out that M$ said "your copy of windows isn't valid. You may be the victim of counterfeit software". So that means that someone they installed some update which caused this thing to go off. I don't know where it is, i don't know how it got on there. But i do remember them saying that they were going to make an "optional" udpate about it. Still though, i don't know where it is/or how it got on there. Just warning everyone else and saying that the Windows Loader 1.7.7r(i think it's called) is still workingyou just have to reapply it.

Since as i said i don't know where the thing came from but it wasn't an "optional" update it was a forced one they slipped in some where... b/c i remember reading about them pushing some update to try to cut down on piracy.

4. dkizzy

dkizzy MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Mine installed the WAT even after I unchecked the box. Clearly they are going back on their word. For a brief while they did not force the checked box on, but apparently they are.

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #5 acyuta, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    I had unchecked and hidden this update and so far no hidden installation (activate windows was genuine as of 5 hrs back and no kb97... in installed updates). Will check again after 6 hrs (when I reach home from work).

The thread opener edited from Windows to Office, but then the subsequent post confused matters. What is on??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Did you uncheck it and hide it? Mine is still there and hidden.

7. Thanos_The_Mad_Titans

Nov 22, 2009
    to be honest.. my PC still Activated, Genuine, & WAT Passed w/ KB971033 installed, & I ran Daz's loader 1.7.7r and also, I tested all loaders & it's working.. 1.6.9, 1.7.3... Hazar's loader 1.6.1d & Omrhar 2.4.8 working also :) I don't know you guys have problem with the loaders or something.. I follow Opa's instruction..

8. hernandez3674

hernandez3674 MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    Mine passes also as of today. I made an image too just in case .. I also went one extra step and remove the task of checking every 90 days but left the folder in case it doesnt find it..Now everyday when i boot i find myself checking to see its still active. Im good for today.;)

9. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    We really do not need another topic dedicated to the KB971033 update, use the search function and use existing topic