Microsoft to modify WGA for SP1 Final, might kill OEM BIOS MOD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by indabox, Dec 4, 2007.

1. SumitB

SumitB MDL Novice

May 20, 2007
    I have the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard modded with the BIOS Mod patch available on this site. Ran the script provided by Yen to activate the downloading of SP1 directly using W-Update. Installed SP1 and I am still activated :D

2. DorkimusPrime

DorkimusPrime MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2008
    That'll kill things like Vista Loader and the OEMBIOS.BIN cracks that are out there, but will most likely not affect SLIC modifications in motherboard BIOSes. People are getting the two confused because the names are similar.

3. sccrbrandon4788

sccrbrandon4788 MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    i hope thats all it is. im building a new computer and it'll be a while but i hope all this will become clear when i get to the point to install ultimate x64

4. Mtthwpez

Mtthwpez MDL Junior Member

Jan 29, 2008
    As i have said before, the only way microsoft could detect if you are using a modified bios is if you have say an asus slic table but your mainboard is gigabyte etc.
    They can find this out simply via the hardware device drivers, ie you wouldn't have gigabyte drivers on an asus mainboard for instance!

This is the only way i think they could do it. ;)

5. DorkimusPrime

DorkimusPrime MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2008
    And I don't expect they'll even mess with that, we are the few, the hardcore, the BIOS modifiers. :lol:

6. Kyle

Kyle MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Im not confused, my bios is modded. Yet still i got the activation screen after trying to install sp1

7. Kyle

Kyle MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I do have a gigabyte mobo and the slic that china4ever provided me with was infact an asus slic, so if this is the problem how do i go about correcting this?

8. DorkimusPrime

DorkimusPrime MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2008
    the only "correction" would be to get an ASUS motherboard. I just switched to a Gigabyte P35 board with a new CPU, so I'm really hoping this isn't really the case. I'm going to find out as soon as I get SP1 downloaded, because I'm going to blow away my Vista install now that I've decided I really want to use it full-time; I'm going to repartition my drive anyway so I might as well find out if there's something that's going to kill Vista and force me to go buy it first.

9. Kyle

Kyle MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Well i have the p35c-ds3r mobo with the following modded by china4ever:
    PHP:
    Motherboard Manufacter And Model Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0
    Bios Revision F9
    Bios Type AWARD
    Bios SLIC ASUS
    Bios Modder China4Ever
    and sp1 wouldnt work and reverted me to non genuine, I dont know if ive done something wrong during install or anything but it looks to me like what your suggesting might be right

10. SumitB

SumitB MDL Novice

May 20, 2007
    So is it that an ASUS board with an ASUS mod will not be detected?

11. Kyle

Kyle MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2008
    sounds like it, if this is the case then loads of people will be affected surely?

12. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    well why wouldnt we get gigabyte slic if we have the motherboards? i got my x38t bios modded and asked for ASUS slic because at the time it didnt matter. does nobody have the giga slic??

13. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    well thats till about the emulator, but nobody uses that, or shouldnt use that, anymore.

14. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Oh should also say seems some ga boards unregister vista if you use S3 sleep

15. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008