Microsoft to phase out support for older versions of Internet Explorer (Jan 2016)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JP2015, Jan 10, 2016.

1. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    #21 JP2015, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    (OP)
    S5000XVN ??? Google up this modal up when you get a chance this week next week in a year, I wonder who manufacturered that modal let me know via private message I have at least another half dozen models for you to check the manufacturer for me when you get some free time...

Get prepared for Android Nation in the private and general user spectrum regarding enterprise wait till 1Q or 2Q 2017 when the new devices get dropped into the enterprise sector by Apple in conjunction with Android and Google and least but not last Microsoft, if you don't tie your platform with Android your toast everything revolves around Android as we speak and for the next while of many years

JP2016

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @JP2015: No offense, but your statements just don't hold water.

[REALITY CHECK]Try running Cubase 7 or even version 6 on a tablet. I don't need to read Forbes or talk to any CEO
    in -any- company to know that this is an impossibility.[/REALITY CHECK]

If there -was- a tablet that could do this, I'd have purchased it already. And I'd be running my recording studio on it.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations. For nature can not be fooled."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    #23 JP2015, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    (OP)
    Well again, Michaela

Thanks again for your comments, Michaela

Here below is something that might clear some of the air waves regarding your Cube app :harp:

Cubase 7 and Bay Trail Windows 8.1 tablets

OK, I've finally received my Dell Venue 8 Pro 64gb and proceeded with DAW tests. I know there are quite a few people here interested in such ultra-portable solution and this is my report on how such a device works with audio in general and with Cubase 7 in particular.

First, the bad news: the USB 2.0 port (micro USB, requires OTG cable, presumably it's the same with all the 8" W8.1 tablets) doesn't provide sufficient juice to power external drives and audio interfaces (tested with RME Babyface and Focusrite Scarlett.) Yes, there is a solution, but you will lose some "portability" there: you will either have to use powered external drives and interfaces, or you can use a powered USB hub. Since you'd need a hub anyway to hook up an interface and an external drive (you only have ONE USB port), you might as well get a powered one. It's true that this device comes with a microSD slot that can give you an additional 64gb of storage, but I'm not sure these cards are fast enough for audio recording, even the super-duper "X" types. I guess I will have to test that later (I have a 64gb SDXC on order, should get it next week.)

Since I had many licenses I never used, I installed Cubase 7 AI (the free version that comes with Steinberg and Yamaha hardware.) I really didn't want to bother loading the full version (or buying Essential...) and having to cope with the additional hassle of accommodating the dongle. So, that means I couldn't test Cubase's more advanced features. But seriously, you wouldn't be using Vari-Audio or Note-Expression on a tablet. After all, this is a super-portable solution for quickly sketching ideas and recording on the go. I also installed Sonar X3c, because so far it's the only DAW that has been optimized to run on a touch screen, and I just wanted to see how good the experience is.

Cubase loads fine and works fine. Of course this is not an RT app, but a "desktop" application that can hardly take advantage of touch, but you can still pin it on the start screen for quick access. Now FORTUNATELY the V8P (like all 8" Windows tablets so far) doesn't have a super-high resolution (it's 1200x800), which means that albeit tiny, icons and buttons aren't impossible to deal with, unless you have really fat fingers. But even if you do, you can still manage to accurately point, click and drag with the active stylus, which is quite precise and does the job sufficiently well (yes, there are few annoying bugs, especially with the inking, but Dell has promised a software update for next week that will take care of that.) Unfortunately, the stylus is NOT included with the V8P, it's a $35 accessory (rather pricey IMHO, especially considering it's not a top-quality Wacom device.) Don't bother trying with other active stylii, because they won't work (I read that on the V8P forum.) Sure, a capacitive stylus would work (the kind you can buy for $2 on EBay), but it wouldn't provide a better experience than your index finger.

Performance is quite acceptable. Of course I did not try to push this system by exercising ridiculous CPU demands, I just wanted to see how it would perform in a typical on-the-go "hotel room" session, where the system would have to handle maybe a dozen instrument tracks and a couple of audio tracks. And everything went fairly smooth. So, I believe Steinberg should definitely start working on a touch interface (assuming they haven't already done that), because this type of device will definitely become popular.

And here lastly a word on Sonar X3. Man, that was really FUN!!! Despite the tiny screen, pinching to zoom tracks in and out was more than doable and overall the experience was a hundred times better than Cubase's. Because the X3 interface is also scalable, I found no need to use the stylus at all, everything worked pretty well with my fingers alone.

To sum it up, if you want the "ultimate" no-compromise tablet DAW experience, definitely get a Surface Pro 2 or equivalent device with W8.1/64 and 8gb of RAM. Dell also has a Venue 11 Pro with either i3 or i5 CPU, which still costs a couple of hundreds less than a similarly-configured SP2, but consider that the latter comes with a Wacom stylus that's MUCH MUCH better than what Dell gives you. If you only use it as a pointing device, however, there will be virtually no difference. Bay Trail tablets provide a more limited experience, which is still acceptable within the parameters of an on-the-go session are okay working with iPad or Android tablet . Particularly, the 8" tablets provide an unmatched level of portability. After the "briefcase studio", now we have officially entered the "coat pocket studio" era.

Plus Google and Apple will be brand new spec tablets that will be in par with your typical desktop " as same as and better then the desktop we all know in the current times " expect to see these new devices later part or 2016/2017 in the consumer markets with optional screen sizes and optional hardware upgrades to fit your needs in the new way of computing in the very near future.

And all of these new devices will be all plug and play for Android and their super 4G and 5G and 6G wifi networks that will be in place when this madness starts to deploy the fatal blow the Desktop/Workstation box as we/you all know it ...

RIP Desktop......

Michaela you should come around my area and see how people are putting their desktops on the front step to be removed by the city, in my area and how many people are bringing these desktops to the big box stores like Best Buy and other Big Box Computer stores as they are not needed any more, due to the fact tablets and smartphones fill in the void for their every day needs and stuff they used to do with the desktop box, also have a look how many desktops are up and given away on kijiji and Craigs list in your area, lol

If you have questions on this setup, feel free to ask.

JP2016

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Goodbye to Internet Explorer era. There is no more support for it. I think it is the right thing to do for Microsft Edge to make sense to people who have negative views of IE.

5. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    btw, today all IE version will get cumulative security

@Hadron-Curious
    IE11 will be still supported til they remove it from Win10
    at least not before 2022
    stop spreading FUD

6. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    #26 JP2015, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    (OP)
    abbodi1406...

Not so fast " Big Guy"

there is a report from Microsoft that is on the internet an email from MS to undisclosed partner and it states that Internet Explorer 11 will also be phased out by year end of 2016 with the new and ongoing builds and also the classic control panel and other services...

Windows 10 is full steam ahead with every new major build of Windows 10 heading sooner then later to the Tablet game and Smartphone environment and that kind of specific hardware in the very near future, you will all see with you own two eyes as these new major TH updates start rolling down the windows update servers...

Yes and there will be a time where each and every desktop or workstation will get this message " Sorry This Update Is Not Compatible with your current Hardware " till then enjoy the ride while it lasts...:harp:

This isn't just a single personal insight many everyone is informed of this move that's going to take place down the road in the very near future

The Desktop is PASS A to Microsoft and Apple and Others they had their day, Now is full steam ahead into Tablets and Smartphones where the action and coin is " you can all thank Android for this change that will be brought forth "

EX, CEO Jim Balmer has made it clear the day of the Desktop is very near and toast in the very near future

abbodi1406 the writing has been on the wall for the last 5 years as soon as windows 8 came into the picture and then windows 10 that will be an easy transformation for Microsoft through updates transform only to a tablet and smartphone OS

JP2016

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Sure.

People should stop to have a negative view of explorer and start to have a negative view of Edge.

It's the evolution :p

8. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    abbodi

Windows 10 all I am saying will be transformed as time goes by and I agree with you and make no mistake yes win 7 and win 8 IE is core/part of the OS

and IE 11 could and will very easy be put to rest, but not tonight or tomorrow but in the near future that's not speculation or being sinister, IE 11 is a part of my world and life I need it if you seen my comments here and there around this forum

9. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I am talking about the ERA when Internet Explorer is the only browser brand by Microsoft. It is stated that by 12 January 2016 IE 6 to 10 will not longer receive updates(cumulated or security updates) from Microsoft. IE 11 will only exist for compatibility reason in Enterprise and those who want to use it have to migrate. In a nutshell it is dead because it is not as it used to be in its era.