Microsoft Update Tuesday - Deja Vu All Over Again

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Rock Hunter, Nov 14, 2012.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe some of your 3.party tools were triggering the problems?! Or some Games?

I done 5 computers right now, 2 with Windows 8 Pro, 2 with Windows 8 ProWMC and 1 with Windows 8 Enterprise! Not any problem, all updates, without any exceptions installed, a total of 327MB. All those computers are used in my office with mainly Business Apps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Certainly, but which one (from the 150)? :)
    ...I blame MS for releasing such huge "Semi-SP" each month.
    That isn't good...

3. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    sadly, it appears win8 is a beta product. MS has to fix and patch a large chunk of it from time to time.

4. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    This will also disable custom themes...
    ...no one will patch uxtheme each month :)

5. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Interestingly I was unable to install the last big update, but this one installed successfully. Which is nice, because I now no longer need the previous update.

6. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    they are not cumulative (2nd doesn't contain the changes of 1st)...

...but that doesn't mean, that you need them at all :))

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Better every month some fixes than maybe after 3 or 6 (if ever) as Apple is doing!:p

Serious, in Reality Windows 8 were released to early and may that's one of the points why Steven Sinofsky has leaved Microsoft, for not to be responsible for the mistakes done by Balmer and company! It';s sure that for such a new system, there will be a lot problems. On the other hand it seems to be that Windows 8 just running very well if used for working in offices and for business.
    In that regard I didn't have any problem with it and it run much better than Windows 7. Beside of that, also most of the other Apps I use for Apps-Development, Web Application dev, Website Design, some 3D stuff and even some old Apps, I've very little problem, less than I had with the same Apps etc. in Windows 7!
    That said, I truly admit to be happy with Windows 8 as it is right now. But I wouldn't deny that there still a lot problems, special with Games and Non-Business apps. And for sure with 3.party tool apps! It's anyway depend on what you use the computer for and which kind of apps you running.
    I use one computer for to test apps before moving/installing them on one of my office computers, for to be sure that there wouldn't be any problems, which didn't means that there wouldn't be any! It's possible that even than some problems will coming up, only it would be less.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Oldy

Oldy MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2011
  9. CyleR

CyleR MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    Anyone tried it with KMS + WMC? I'm still at work and can't do a test on my laptop and desktop.

10. Oldy

Oldy MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2011
    Tesla don't put on 8 things what not belongs on 8 and everythings will be fine.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Both not a single problem!

12. altclick

altclick MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2012
    Windows 8 KMS plus WMC permanent activation - 10 updates including the anti malware, total of 360 MB.
    After 20 minutes of downloading and applying updates - rebooted - Failure to configure updates, reverting.... it went through three long cycles of "reverting" and rebooting..... and then booted up normally - i.e. it seems to have reverted back to previous state just fine after the mysterious failure to configure the updates - just required a lot of patience to sit through the entire process.

13. Huddie

Huddie MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2012
    Installed ALL 16 updates this morning without any problems, including KB2770917.

14. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012

Same here, 10 updates (314,5 MB) installed flawlessly in Win 8 Pro WMC, step-by-step-intall, no backup. Only patch i´m running is service based uxstyle version for Win 8 x64, so absolutely no systemfiles touched :D.

Other option would be, leaving this, you-named-it-that-funny as it is...not a proper alternative i guess :cool2:.

15. robmadden1

robmadden1 MDL Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I am kind of scared to install these updates dont want to f**k up my HP G7 2010nr laptop. Should I just wait till a fix is inpalce for the failling updates people are getting?

16. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
  17. Johnny222

Johnny222 MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2012
    Guys.. I can only thank you for testing Windows 8. :biggrin:

I deleted my Windows 8 Pro RTM installation some time ago as I couldn't find a display driver for notebooks with 1280x800 display resolution. The NVIDIA driver was only beta, crashed a few times (but also automatically recovered) and extremely slow graphics rendered certain games unplayable.

Like the thread title says it's a "Deja Vu All Over Again". Just wait for SP1 and try again. I suggest Microsoft to enable F8 again, make METRO selectable, and add the start button again. Then PC/notebook users should be happy.

18. altclick

altclick MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2012
    After redoing the updates piecemeal, I've confirmed that in my case also, KB2770917 is the culprit. Meanwhile, during this whole update fiasco, the windows partition has grown by 2.8 GigaBytes ! with the Windows/winsXs folder contributing to 2.3 of those GigaBytes.

19. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Updates went OK here, however win8 sat on 15% for maybe 4 minutes or so after finishing install and attempting to restart. I didn't have any other activities going at all so that may have helped. Oh well, looks like we got SP1 already :D

20. stonyi1

stonyi1 MDL Junior Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Before you install latest round of updates, make sure you uninstall the theme patcher, Start 8, or Stardocks Startscreen customizer. They will break Windows and it won't boot to the desktop after restarting.