Microsoft Windows Vista Vs Windows Xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by RACERPRO, May 4, 2008.

?

Microsoft Windows Vista Vs Windows Xp, What do you Use

1. I Use Microsoft Windows Vista 32 or 64

45.7%
  2. I Use Microsoft Windows XP 32 or 64

54.3%
  1. RACERPRO

RACERPRO MDL Senior Member

Feb 13, 2008
    #1 RACERPRO, May 4, 2008
    Last edited: May 4, 2008
    Many people have been talking about vista flaws and xp wonders. I started from ms-dos and been upgraded to windows 3.0, windows 3.11, windows 95, windows 98, windows millenium, skip windows 2000, windows xp and now using windows vista. In every new release microsoft stated that the new os was better than the previous one. But as always they started with flaws and the release os service packs have make them a little better and so on. Today nobody remenbers the release of windows xp (with the errors unknown, blue screens, ect...). Has most people say xp is better than vista, but xp is in the third release of service pack (sp3). Windows vista is the fist release of service pack (sp1). At my home i use windows vista in 5 computers and is the best windows till today (some errors, every software will always have flaws in the future), make a normal use for internet, office work, gaming and everything goes well. The next windows 7 when release i will upgrade my software to it, because we need using new software and upgrading hardware (most people purchase a computer and want to use it about 10 years, if so ten years back you can only use windows 98 maximum). We need to follow industrie with new hardware and software and not complaining about software releases better than others. i´m not a microsoft fan but i use what i can to help me with what i need at the moment, and in the future i will see what comes.

Leave here a comment on windows vista vs windows xp.

2. ajaypathak

ajaypathak MDL Novice

May 4, 2008
    XP

i think we have to wait for the windows 7 and i think vista is not as good as the xp

3. RACERPRO

Feb 13, 2008
    Why Xp And Not Vista

My problem is why people don´t like vista!

What are your reasons for not liking vista?

In the past lots of people have problems with others softwares (windows, linux that i use at my work and it´s the most problematic software that i ever find to use, mac software problems in security the double of xp and vista together), so why people don´t like vista?

4. Big Dave

Big Dave MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2008
    Hey bro I love vista, I just don't know why people don't like it. Like u say is just the beginning, there is more to come.

5. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
    I heard all the ugly rumors about vista... how slow it was etc.

I think Vista is much faster and less buggy than XP

Of course I say that because I vLite and tweak my ISO allot, I have never used Vista out of the box/vanilla

6. RACERPRO

Feb 13, 2008
    #6 RACERPRO, May 7, 2008
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
    (OP)
    Windows 7 Pics

I agree that all software have problems, but vista is normal software to me. People that want xp its only because they are use to work with it (people don´t like changes very much). But wen windows 7 come in 2010, computers will need to be more powerfull, and still windows 7 will have problems again like all others softwares. Some people say they will use xp until windows 7 come to the market? They never have seen pics of windows 7 (its an upgrade of windows vista). I don´t understand. For me my computer works very well and have few errors.

People, try to find windows 7 pics to be desapointed (xp to windows 7), lol...

7. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I'm using WinVista and it works absolutely perfect. Crashes rarely happen...95% of everything runs at once and stable.
    To that day I've never had too serious problems getting something to work.
    I think that Windows is like a child. If you don't educate and guide it, nothing good will be the result ;)
    These pictures will be fakes, or just early versions; probably...we'll have to wait until things are confirmed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. RACERPRO

Feb 13, 2008
  9. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    They [winsupersite forum members] say it's fake... I'd say even M$ doesn't know what it exactly will look like. See, this is a process in development.

And time will show...doing anything against bios modding, will they, huh?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. RACERPRO

Feb 13, 2008
    Windows 7 Bios Slic

I do not know but I think that it goes to continue to exist
    activations of slic or any similar thing, because OEM still need to activate in factory, because clients don´t need to worry about those problems. And the support for windows OEM are made by those OEM bulders.

Let´s hope that something will appears to make genuine windows like xp and vista OEM SLIC table (original and modded).

Until now vista slic modded work very well. I have broke a asus striker extreme with a bios modded, but i know the risk of modded bios (most work, some don´t), even with normal bios it can append.

11. SKJoy2001

SKJoy2001 MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2007
    Windows XP & Windows VISTA cannot be compared because the later is always released as the better (at least to be better) unless it is a workstation/server platform question.

I myself wanted to use Windows VISTA for a couple of times and had to revert back to Windows XP.

I also started my life with MS DOS 5.0 back in 1994 with those golden days of 37 MHz desktop computers with orange text on black background monitors... lol

The issue I think is the USER HABIT COMPATIBILITY. The first time I wanted to use Windows VISTA, finding out the commonly used toolbar buttons almost turned me nuts. However, the change is easier to those who are not techies and spend hardly 2/3 hours with computers, basically for fundamental email stuff and multimedia. But professionals like me, who spend more than 16 hours a day with this 2nd wify ;) I feel it is a little hard to get used to it keeping in mind of the habit that grown up with Windows XP for years.

12. RACERPRO

Feb 13, 2008
    Open Mind Into The Future

Yes but like you said, you come from ms-dos like me and does software have change however since that time, and we need to adapt (more dificult was office 2007 changes from office 2003, but i beleave that now is much better), but at the begining i was looking for somethings in office and it takes so much time because thinks where i diferents places, them had use to it and now i don´t want any other office like the 2007 one. For windows vista its the same because now i have dificulty to use xp because i only use vista and don´t use xp anymore.

13. SKJoy2001

SKJoy2001 MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2007
    Yes you are right, especially for the Office 2007, I had difficult times with it and now I simply love it.

However, there is another issue involved, the availability of the product in a legitimate way. In Bangladesh, it is not that easy to get/purchase Windows in a legitimate way and computers sold here are 99% clone systems equipped with pirated copies of Windows XP, for this, mass users don't even care to get into the extra upgradation process.

14. RACERPRO

Feb 13, 2008
    #14 RACERPRO, May 11, 2008
    Last edited: May 11, 2008
    (OP)
    Protection Of Software By Companies

Computers in this past years have drop fast in price. My first cumputer in 1990, a 386 pc with ms-dos, hard drive 10 mb, 4 mb of ram, ect, i purchase it at 2000 Euros. Now 18 years after, i have a intel quad core, windows vista ultimate, 4 gb of ram, 500 gb hard drive, ect, i purchase it at 1000 Euros. Most of the software around the world is pirated, but microsoft has the importance in the world today, because of pirated software in the past that everybody ad use, from windows 95 till today. It´s a shame that companies do not change the way they make sales today. Music industry in the past have made the same in protecting digital rights for the musics. Nowadays nobody purchase cd´s or dvd´s, not because of the price, but because cd´s and dvd´s are bad to worse. In the past i go to my rental shop and rent 2 or 3 movies per week. Now, this month and the past one i haven´t rent none. Why ? Simple there aren´t good movies at all, only stupid low budget movies made by studios that say that the new winning format (the blueray), will make their sales go up again! What movies are sold in blueray today ? Almost none, or old success in dvd remake! Compagnies that think this way will always loose their clients because people tend to use what they can (if windows is to expensive), them we can use free software (linux, ect). The money they spend on protecting software, they must use in developing better and cheap software to people to use around the world.

15. guarias

guarias MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2007
    Im gonna tell you why? I dont like vista?
    1- It is slow. Even in a PC or Laptop with good resources.
    2- It is taking a lot of time copying o moving some files.
    3- The security ask for everything you want to do.
    4- Sometimes duplicate the desktop many times.
    5- Is a little complicated to move the files to another driver, when you are working with partitions in your hard drive.
    6- Always is downloading actualizations. I hate that. I ask why we can not buy a final working product. Is like you buy a tshirt and keep on being called for the designer telling you you need a new color or new desing, or new cotton for more security. It is boring
    6- if you need to know more is cause your are using vista just for browse the web, write some letters with office and send some mails. But I tell you something, when you go farther with Vista doing more that that you will desire to go back to Xp, even when Xp it is not good enought it is better that vista.

16. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    As seen from my position:

It is not. I'm running a machine with 2.13 GHz and 2046 MB RAM, and 256 MB video card. Vista = fast.
    No. Copying files goes very fast, at least not slower than at other OS.
    This can be switched off ;)
    Never happened to me.
    Also a no.
    Windows is like a child. It's developing and thus needs this.
    I'm using Vista for nearly a year now. Everything works perfect and fast. No problems at all.

17. RACERPRO

Feb 13, 2008
    #17 RACERPRO, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
    (OP)
    Vista Vs Xp

Like Ancestor(V) i think that he as explain everything very well. I use vista ultimate from pré lauch back in november 2006. The first problem was the drivers (when xp was release the drivers had been a problem also), today xp have five years of drivers updates and are in the third service pack, so something is not good today (five years later). Vista in the first year of release must be perfect (after the first release pack)? People that want xp its only because they are use to work with it (people don´t like changes very much). For me drivers are the common problem, and old software too. I read that 80% of vista drivers problem are from drivers release from nvidia and ati (video drivers). I agree that some video problems are because nvidia and ati have release bad drivers in the past. Today i can play any game that i purchase or old games that i have, and they work very well (and fast too). Only games with protection software like (STARFORCE), don´t work in vista because of the protection that is not compatible with vista security (GOOOOOD for us and bad for rootkit software like Starforce). I read also that 80% of the people that don´t like vista never had use vista and only have friends (ect...), that have told them that vista is not a good software! If you have a modern computer try vista and them make your own decision.

18. RACERPRO

Feb 13, 2008
    Top 6 Vista Application Incompatibility Reasons

Application incompatibility is one of the aspects that have managed to deliver extensive damage to the adoption rate of Windows Vista.

However, as Vista matured throughout 2007 and with Service Pack 1 in 2008, so did the ecosystem of software solutions orbiting around the operating system. Despite this, the actual perception of application incompatibility managed to survive, especially in corporate environments. If one end user can deal with a program that is incompatible with Vista rather easy, the same cannot be said about an enterprise dependent on a specific business application with tens of thousands of machines.

"Part of this is perception based on fact - Windows Vista is built on a new architecture that promises tightened security and reliability. Consequently, the applications that ride on top of Windows Vista need to communicate with the kernel in different ways. So what has helped fuel current perception around application compatibility? Why did many applications 'break' in the migration from Windows XP to Windows Vista?" Microsoft asked rhetorically.

And it seems that application compatibility issues consistently point to a single culprit: User Account Control. The watch dog Microsoft introduced in order to train both end users and developers to utilize and respectively build applications running with standard privileges for security reasons has come back to bite Vista uptake.

"Standard user mode limits file and registry access by applications on the computer. User Account Control exposes non-compliant actions, with permission prompts to standard and administrator users. Changes in permissions will cause most of the issues with earlier versions of applications, where administrative access was assumed during development and testing," Microsoft explained revealing the first reason for Vista application incompatibilities.

But two additional sources of compatibility problems are also connected with the UAC. Microsoft pointed to Internet Explorer 7 Protect Mode killing web-based applications as well as the Windows Resource Protection preventing programs to writing to protected areas of the operating system. In the end, the Redmond company traded flexibility for security, and legacy applications tailored to Windows XP running with administrative privileges bit the dust.

Additionally, Microsoft informed that "operating system and browser version numbers change with each release, which might cause issues with applications that check for a specific version number upon installation. Application shims are available to fool the application into thinking the operating system or browser is the application-required version."

And on top of it, the new driver model introduced in Vista, that enables the eye candy Aero graphical user interface, along with undocumented APIs, also caused compatibility issues. Over a year since Vista hit the shelves, the Redmond company claims that the operating system benefits from in excess of 15,000 signed devices and components and the advances brought on by Service Pack 1. In this context, Microsoft is not shy to put forward an invitation to give Vista, now with SP1, another try.

source: news.softpedia.com

19. RACERPRO

Feb 13, 2008
    Windows Vista SP1 outperforms Windows XP SP2 in file copy

"Its interesting that people seem to think that Vista under performs in every area of the system which is quite an incorrect perception.

In this demo I show how Vista outperforms Windows XP and I show the under the covers process traces of just how it achieves it."

"Demo environment consists of two images. One Vista SP1 and the other Windows XP SP2 both on the same HDD IO and communicating across my home wireless network to a Windows Server 2008 box on my main LAN. Once the two images get going latency gets introduced and things start to slow down....except Vista doesnt slow down." Watch and see at Edge TechNet.

source: edge.technet.com

mms://mschnlnine.wmod.llnwd.net/a1809/d1/edge/9/0/0/1/Windows Vista against Windows XP-1.wmv

20. RACERPRO

Feb 13, 2008