Might be helpful for those that have a CU blocked by various install errors.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nosirrahx, Sep 10, 2019.

1. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I have a pretty modified image and as often happens with these modified installs I eventually had problems installing CUs. Yes, I also ran cleanup and rebase.

My build was locked at 18362.53 and none of the typical fixes had any impact:

SCF
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth <- even specifying the original source WIM
    in place upgrade install

Everything would fail with the typical errors that point you right back to the above 'fixes'.

On a hunch I decided to build a WIM specific to the 18362.53 which meant integrating KB4495666. Aside from the CU I included the other current updates (accidentally included 1909 enablement but I don't think that matters), I did not use the 'cleanup image' option.

I then used the following command to repair my install:

Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /Source:WIM:C:\Install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Using the same WIM file I did an in place install and allowed windows to get updates.

Well I be damned, it worked. On reboot I am on 18363.356.

Sure, a lot of annoying steps but some of us are kind of stubborn and like to fix things as is instead of reinstalling.

2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    but that's what you did..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Nope, installed over the top, repair install. Apps and data were retained.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Installing over the top / repair install IS reinstalling, with programs and data migration. The non-migrated old OS data is saved to C:\Windows.old.

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    You are missing my point. Until I tried the above steps for the heck of it, attempting to install over the top would fail and revert, I was frozen at 18362.53 for months. Windows updates was also broken and manual CU installs always failed.

The repair worked and now I have BOTH all of my apps and data as well as a working installs that accepts updates once again.

Label it whatever you want, a broken install was fixed and I shared the steps (steps that I have never seen mentioned before).

6. titantwo10

titantwo10 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2016
    I literally tried everything I managed to find googling...but nothing worked.
    I wasn't able to upgrade. Got stuck on 1709.
    Until...
    I used Microsoft's refreshtool to downgrade to 1607 (Anniversary Update).
    After that I upgraded to 1903 using a .iso I downloaded from Microsoft.