Migrating to higher diskspace with internal imaging backup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TR2N, Aug 28, 2009.

1. TR2N

TR2N MDL Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Hi folks,

i hope, someone of you already collected skills for this subject.

I have Windows 7 Professional installed on my system and i plan to upgrade my current 2x250 GB Raid-0 on ICHR9 to 2x1TB disks, again at Raid-0 (stripe). I am using the internal image backup software every week for a full system image with all partitions included to an extra internal backup harddisk.

It it possible to restore the images to the new array and if yes, can i adjust the partition sizes because of the more disk space i have after changing the harddisks or does it do some suggestions, e.g. autosizing? Or does the internal Win7 image backup software a restore with the sizes of the partitions, i had before (1:1) on my 500 GB array, so i have to adjust partition sizes with a third party software after restore?

I don´t want to install Acronis or something else, because since the new Backup & Recovery 10 i very dislike it, and it doesn´t fully support Windows 7 for now. Would be nice, if the internal backup function of Windows would feature it.

Thanks for your helping comments!

TR2N

2. paperinik

paperinik MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2009
    Since windows 7 can restore images I do not see any problem on moving to a new array. (all imaging apps that I have tested are capable of this; and I have tested alsmost everything outhere.)

You can resize your partition after you restore the image within windows, as long as there is free space available.