Migrating Windows 10 Storage pool to Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MacAddict01, Sep 2, 2016.

1. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Hey folks,

Looked through the forum and couldn't find an answer on this problem I face. I've got a client PC that has a simple "Storage Space/Pool" consisting of 3 HDD with no redundancy setup. For backup purposes I'm using Syncovery with realtime backup to a remote server over VPN. This PC is running Win10 RS1 14393.105 currently.

What I would like to know is if it will be possible for me to move this "Storage Space" over to a Windows 8.1. Has anyone attempted this? I have my doubts that 8.1 is using the same implementation of Storage Space pools but I couldn't find any concrete evidence of this.

Wasn't sure which forum to put this subject in:confused:

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Obviously i stay away from SS (I use the great and surpriseless Drivepool, for the purpose). All I can say is that the deduplication implementation of W10/Wserver2016 is not backward compatible with w8/w8.1 ones.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same will apply to SS as well.

Anyway I did migrate back my deduplicated disks (that wserver 2016 migrated silently to the new protocol) using Hyperv, a virtualized Wserver2016, and the disks partly connected to the real machine and partly connected to the WM, then I just moved the files trough a standard SMB share.