Mod splashscreen logo on Asrock z77 Extreme 4 EFI Bios (MAYBE OTHERS)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by darkhell666, Jun 24, 2012.

  1. darkhell666

    darkhell666 MDL Member

    May 17, 2012
    114
    27
    10
    #1 darkhell666, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. snod33

    snod33 MDL Novice

    Apr 14, 2011
    13
    3
    0
    Links dont work buddy
     
  3. darkhell666

    darkhell666 MDL Member

    May 17, 2012
    114
    27
    10
    Verified and fixed , try again

    I don't know exactly what's wrong but the link is virtually the same, however didn't work before.

    Ptt: If you like my work leave me a thanks ^^
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. snod33

    snod33 MDL Novice

    Apr 14, 2011
    13
    3
    0
    Modded link still not working buddy. Cheers
     
  5. darkhell666

    darkhell666 MDL Member

    May 17, 2012
    114
    27
    10
    Fixed again, at least i find whats the problem, the damn system (i don't know why) add blank spaces to the link and no appear when i'm editing the post, thats why the link shows no problem when revised it, for this reason i had to rename the file to a shorter one and now is ok, please try again.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. snod33

    snod33 MDL Novice

    Apr 14, 2011
    13
    3
    0
    Cheers buddy link works great will have a look and then maybe give it a go myself. Thank you
     
  7. darkhell666

    darkhell666 MDL Member

    May 17, 2012
    114
    27
    10
    #7 darkhell666, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    (OP)
    Your welcome, when try to do by yourself be carefull, follow the instructions and respect the image's parameters, Good Luck! ^^
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. snod33

    snod33 MDL Novice

    Apr 14, 2011
    13
    3
    0
    Just to let you know it works a treat. Thank you for a great tutorial.:biggrin:
     
  9. darkhell666

    darkhell666 MDL Member

    May 17, 2012
    114
    27
    10
    I am glad that the tutorial has been helpful ^^
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. snod33

    snod33 MDL Novice

    Apr 14, 2011
    13
    3
    0
    Bios 2.10 this is the new bios screen 7BB28B99-61BB-11D5-9A5D-0090273FC14D_0_731.ROM
     
  11. foolkiller

    foolkiller MDL Novice

    Aug 13, 2009
    6
    1
    0
    Its been updated again. Now in bios v2.20 its 7BB28B99-61BB-11D5-9A5D-0090273FC14D_0_728.rom and C6AD9672-905C-453D-9D4E-A3E9733CB0B9_0_736.rom. Looks like they use two images now. The first one is the main background and its 1024x768@33kb. The second image is 264x128@15kb. Don't know if these new file sizes are the limit, I have not tested anything I was just poking around the bios. I can tell you that the new background is very plain and boring, its just a black background with a green asrock logo is the middle. The second image is black with some white text(Press F2 or DEL to run UEFI Setup, Press F6 for Instant Flash, etc.). Its a possibility they had to decrease the size of the splash screen to make room for some new additions to the bios. This however does not make sense, because the bios file has padding files so their should be room to add new features without any sacrifices. I just don't see why use such a generic splash screen. Any guinea pigs here:biggrin:?
     
  12. darkhell666

    darkhell666 MDL Member

    May 17, 2012
    114
    27
    10
    Hello, I've been busy with other things these days ^^¡

    First of all, thanks snod33 and foolkiller for posting this new info, i will add this to the original post.

    Yes, this is the version that i have installed actually, i don't know the maximum file size accepted, i tried the image used previously (152kb) and phoenixtool don't create the bios arguing bios space problems or something like, by this reason, i just used a image with the same original image size, actually i don't have time to do test ^^¡.

    Effectively the new splashscreen is composed by two separated images (in 2.10 is the same thing), like you say the smaller file sizes apparently is because they need room for new code, prove of this is that other modules are bigger now; with some testing (not now ^^¡) I will find out how big can be larger images (i have two bios chips and a spi programmer and can do test safely); please don't risk to put bigger images, there is a high probability to crash the system.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. tigger95

    tigger95 MDL Novice

    Oct 18, 2012
    1
    1
    0
    I did what I could to translate your tutorial but posted it on reddit, It's kind of messy... I don't own an ASRock motherboard but had nothing better to do except printing my Resume for a job interview lol w+w+w+.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/11mqb6/something_fun_to_do_once_youve_built_your_pc/c6o4qya Please feel free to use/modify/translate/proofread it. Thanks a lot!
     
  14. darkhell666

    darkhell666 MDL Member

    May 17, 2012
    114
    27
    10
    Thanks to you for the translation, i'll take a look to your post ^^
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. schmibble

    schmibble MDL Novice

    Dec 22, 2012
    8
    0
    0
    This procedure no longer works

    DH666, nice tut--now outdated, though. I got stuck right at the beginning, intending to add my splash to ASRock 2.70. However, using the latest version of PhoenixTool, 2.11, but after loading the ASRock bios file (Z77EXT42.70.EXE), I went to my PhoenixTool folder only to find no directory (nor file) named "Dump." The app asks a couple of questions about extracting an HDR file, but no matter whether you say Yes or No, there's no Dump at the end. The only folders are KEY, SLI, SLIC21, and SLP. So that pretty much puts the kabosh on the process right there.

    I'm not complaining--just want to warn anyone getting excited about doing this that the directions are now outdated and won't work. I assume if you can find the 2.5 version of PhoenixTools used by the OP, it will act as he described and create a "Dump" directory. But 2.11 does not.

    It seems like it was great while it lasted, though! Cheers.
     
  16. Tito

    Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

    Nov 30, 2009
    17,574
    15,382
    340
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. snod33

    snod33 MDL Novice

    Apr 14, 2011
    13
    3
    0
    When you have opened the bios file dont close the confirmation pop up leave it open and there will be a dump folder where the bios file is stored. I did the same thing at first. Then edit what you want, then continue with slic.
     
  18. darkhell666

    darkhell666 MDL Member

    May 17, 2012
    114
    27
    10
    #18 darkhell666, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    (OP)
    Thread updated with 2.70 filenames, REMEMBER, the tutorial is based on instant flash rom files, any other files are not tested or used here.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. schmibble

    schmibble MDL Novice

    Dec 22, 2012
    8
    0
    0
    thanks for correcting my mistake. However, I'm not adding a new slic (& don't even know what an SLP is), and as a result I don't press Go at that point, and I don't get the message to leave open. (I can't press Go; I tried and it asks for a SLIC). So PheonixTool just sits there, giving me no feedback or anything. Is the Z77EXT42.70 bios file modified as soon as I put the new image file in the Dump folder? E.g. is Dump an automatic mirror of the bios file?
     
  20. darkhell666

    darkhell666 MDL Member

    May 17, 2012
    114
    27
    10
    As far as i know, in phoenixtool is not possible to modify a bios file without slic and leave it that way (without slic), YOU MUST ADD A SLIC AND SLP TO MAKE THE "GO" BUTTON AVAILABLE TO DO HIS JOB.

    -The bios file is not modified at any moment before you press the "GO" button; you are correct, the dump is an automatic mirror of the bios file, is just that is uncompressed.

    -I don't know what is exactly the slp or his role, but is just a *.txt file with a specific text, the slp is manufacturer specific and must match the slic manufacturer, if you don't have the slp files you can find in the forums or you can google it

    Good luck
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...