Mod splashscreen logo on Asrock z77 Extreme 4 EFI Bios (MAYBE OTHERS)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by darkhell666, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  2. Church

Church MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2013
    Modded my logo @2.80, worked fine. Had to redo few times, as of course i managed to miss few warnings, eg. putting modified image in place after clicking Go, and made mistake hex-editing image with replacing instead of inserting needed 4 bits.

hint1: if you have wider then 4:3 monitor, eg. 16:10 or 16:9, it's worth to change aspect of images making them narrower then normaly by same extent prior pasting them on 1024x768 canvas, as it will be scaled back wider on boot display when splash image will be streched to fit screen;
    hint2: it's worth to edit small image with bios keyboard shortcut list text, or keep in mind that it will be overlayed over main image, so not worth putting anything below it;
    hint3: simpler/smaller images are, the better, as to get under 33KB limit one needs to up jpeg compression really high, with resulting compression visual artifacts. I really hope to see return of bigger image size in future next bios versions. 153KB is much more reasonable then 33KB.

3. enreka_tr

enreka_tr MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2013
    #24 enreka_tr, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    Hey guys my first message and I would like to say that Im really obsessed with this thing
    @Church can you tell us how did you do that?
    There is some missing points. (after clicking ok, will I use the DUMP/....ROM or the downloaded ROM file)
    Did you use 2.80 file at first for phoenix?(I dont understand stock rom thing)
    After clicking Go and work done did you use same "
    Z77EXT42.80" file to flash?

Here is what I did, correct me if Im wrong pls
    Downloaded 2.80 bios instant flash file( currently using 2.50, when I flashed 2.70 preciously BF3 didnt work anyway)
    Found a pic with 1024x768 and 30kb
    I assume 2.80 ROM ID is:
    7BB28B99-61BB-11D5-9A5D-0090273FC14D_0_729
    I selected this file copied first 4hex. overwrited. finished with phoenix.
    Now Im gonna flash the same "
    Z77EXT42.80" file I used right?
    Do I have a chance to brick my card?
    man this stuff is so complex, I hope you reply and we it done quickly

and @conghoaxa1 your exe doesnt work mate, 800000001h error

thx a lot

4. Church

Church MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2013
    #25 Church, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    Just do as per opening post translated part (check illustration images for reference), including warnings.

Download stock instant flash rom, unzip it (result: Z77EXT42.80)
    Download phoenixtools, unzip it

Google for mentioned hex editor (or any other) and some image editor that knows jpegs (i used gimp on linux, it also allowed when saving calculating file size, when checked preview checkbox in save dialog, so i moved compression quality slider until i got under 33KB), install those.

In phoenixtool.exe select that unarchived 2.80 rom in "Original BIOS", it will make DUMP subdirectory where that file is with contents of it.

Select SLIC/SLP files (i used asus laptop ones. i'm guessing these are needed in this phoenixtool .. if you don't use them for activating windows later on, then probably that doesn't count as piracy?)

edit your image 1024x768 24bit color jpeg, save as compressed as to get within 33KB (=crappy, high compressed with noticeable artifacts, image, unless your images take small part on mostly empty canvas and are simple). I also made photograph pasted on black canvas narrower, as 1024x768(4:3) will be stretched to 1920x1200(16:10) on my monitor. Also remember, that splash image will be overlayed with 'press # key to do #' image (264px*128px), so not worth to use whole splash image, only center and/or left side.

open in hex editor original 7BB28B99-61BB-11D5-9A5D-0090273FC14D_0_729.ROM file and your one, put those 4 bits in as in original.

select manufacturer Asrock, in 'Control Options' check 'Allow user to modify other modules', then Done.

Now press Go, it will put up warning popup: 'You can now make manual alterations to any module in the DUMP directory' <- only now overwrite original 7BB28B99-61BB-11D5-9A5D-0090273FC14D_0_729.ROM file with your one with same filename (&extension), finish with OK.
    You'll get your customised Z77EXT42_slic.80 image, in dir where original was, copy to usb stick, boot/F6(instant flash).

If you mistaken somewhere, imho at most you won't see splash screen, only overlay pic with 'press Del/F1 to enter boot, F6 for instant flash ...' text on it.

OR as alternative, if you wish to change only main splash screen, you can use changelogo tool mentioned in conghoaxa1 post. It might skip hex editing and SLIC key stuff.
    changelogo /i Z77EXT42.80 /r my-custom-splash.jpg /o Z77EXT42_custom.80 /f
    This won't work if you want to customize also other images (including ones in bios GUI) as per this thread (http_://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/37920-ASRock-Z77-Extreme-4-Gen4-Bios-FULL-G-U-I-and-Splashscreen-Mod), for this you probably need to use phoenixtool (in this thread one of download link includes all images to preview which is which by filenames and example.psd file as template for their placement). Also haven't tried with bigger ones, but probably same restrictions to image file max size aplies.

5. enreka_tr

enreka_tr MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2013
    Thank you for the detailed answer. Will try tonight.