Mod Your Own Bios / Discussions on BIOS Transcoding

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by hellohello, Jul 12, 2007.

1. rbjack

rbjack MDL Junior Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Here is brief answer from your question in the Request thread.

Don't use PBE to build it. You don't need to rebuild the whole rom, it will change too much; more than you want for this type of mod anyway. Download the tools from the Levono thread. Copy your new SLIC file to the SLIC folder from the tools. Since you are replacing the existing SLIC it needs to be compressed. The tool you use to dump your BIOS will show the structure of what is compressed or not. PBE, look at the ROM.SCR. In your case ACPI08.ROM is compressed, no -X or -Compress:NO.
    In the SLIC folder, edit the SLIC.SCR file and change COMPRESS NONE to COMPRESS LZINT. Make sure your filenames on disk match what is in the SLIC.SCR file. Remove the SLIC.MOD from folder if present. Run the commands from the bat script manually so you see what is going on. When you are done, you will have a compressed ACPI file. Open the SLIC.MOD and your BIOS file in a Hex edit program to swap out the _A08 mod (ACPI08.ROM). Take note of the start bytes F800. Fix your checksums and save the ROM. No need to rebuild it with PBE.

add: If you were rebuilding with PBE. With this type of mod, you rename the updated SLIC as it is (no compressing as above) to ACPI08.ROM - should be same byte size. No changes needed to the ROM.SCR file. Build it. If errors with SLIC, its the checksum byte of the SLIC file. If you are using one of the 2.2.x builds I can send you a patch to enable building the rom without making a change.

2. Fringe

Fringe MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2009
    Thanks again for clarifying process. I followed directions to compress new SLIC with slic.bat but the new compressed SLIC file (SLIC.MOD) is still file length 1A9 (425 bytes) same result when using PBE to do the compression on ACPI08. The original bios SLIC module is 1A8 (424 btyes) length.

I can calc the checksums ok and find the module in bios to replace with winhex (lol I learned something) but cant understand why I get extra byte size when I compress my replacement SLIC. Am I using a different/wrong uncompressed SLIC maybe?

Extracted from SLIC2.1 bins this file Toshiba[TOSCPLTOSCPL00-LOHR]2.1.BIN
    Renamed it to SLIC.BIN and put in SLIC folder. Editing SLIC.SCR LZINT line. Ran SLIC.bat to create new SLIC.mod. Offset 4=A9h Offset 5=01h Wont fit:(

Recalled a post Yen referred to about Byte at offset 9 in SLICS causing errors as ACPI standards require it to be 00. Checked the TOSCPL SLIC and byte at offset 9 was E0. Changed to 00 and repeated compression process. Success mod length now 1A8. Fix up checksums and all done.

Thank you greatly for your time and help. I feel I have learnt something new and maybe this helps others.

3. debiamm

debiamm MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    Same BIOS Issue

Hi qpok,

I have the same issue as you, Did you resolve it?

Can you please advice me on what to here?

TIA

4. imatrix

imatrix MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi guys,

what is the best tool to unpack an executable bios file? I use UniExtractor, but it does not always work.

Thanks,

5. brotha

brotha MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2010
    I had same problem like you with Sony VIAO exe bios file. I just run the exe (BUT DONT HIT UPDATE or FLASH button). The point is, that in your temp folder (on win 7 users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\temp) is created new folder (somenumbers-somenumber-...) its the one last created.. There you have extracted exe BIos file..

Sorry for my english ;)

6. nutral

nutral MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2010
    Hi i have a queston, ill start with my laptop specs.
    Compal JHL 90 (bto 15C27+)
    Phoenix bios 1.17 is flashed, newest bios wich i am trying to mod.

i have used the phoenix mod tool to mod my phoenix bios with an hp slic, the Read anything report was put in from my laptop and the conclusion of that is that i have to use SSV2, there is partial slic according to the tool so i turned on the overwrite current slic tables or something with that name.
    If i use that the mod fails becouse the last file is 1 byte too big to fit in again.
    I tried using the dynamic setting with the overwrite current tables and that worked but i am not sure if it's safe to flash that bios. Any idea's ?

7. Internostic

Internostic MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2010
    I think i will give it a try.

8. diNovoM

diNovoM MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    Hey guys - i got some problem here flashing an msi p55-gd65 with v1.80+ (means I also tried 1.90 and 1.A4 - 1.70 will work as it did before but it seems MSI changed something and I do need some memory fixes of the newer Versions). I tired adding SLIC 2.1 with AMI Tool (fyi it has already a SLIC inside so we talk about dynamic method) well:

- If I use default settings - flash will work but checking with SLIC Dump Toolkit it cant find any SLIC Table.
    - If I only choose replace 1B the *slicing* won't be able to complete due to size
    - Changing options in a way it will either with/without extra space will only brick the BIOS (luckily I can recover the BIOS with M-Flash)

Anyway after hours of tryouts I can't find a way to create a sucessfully bootable and sliced BIOS file. So what now? Another tool? Which?

9. Roman

Roman MDL Addicted

Jun 5, 2007
    Use SSV2 mode.

10. diNovoM

diNovoM MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    Well - I can't use that as it won't allow me to add my 2.1 SLIC? (cause there is already one: Dummy SLIC 2.0 MSI OEMSLIC in F0 Module)

EDIT1: Ok - i got it to sucessfully flash a bios with Dynamic 1B Replace Option (by changing manufacture from msi to other) but still there is no SLIC Tabe - see results in Screenshot. What now?

EDIT2: Oh, I should press cancle instead of no, then I am able to add slic with SSV2. So it should work now, thanks anyway.

11. lurch228

lurch228 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    Great info thank to all who contributed.

12. andtrds

andtrds MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2010
    Hello people

i would like to ask your help for bios mod..i have a lenovo notebook that i want to add mod bios with pubkey.bin and marker.bin from my desktop.I have the desktop pubkey.bin marker.bin and the rms certificate also i have the oem key..Can you help me to do that?Which tools i ll need and how ?
    thanks

13. hippotek

hippotek MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2010
    Hello everyone!

I wantetd to drop an Intel Q9000 Core 2 Quad in my Sony VGN-AR760U (PM965)... Although the CPU should theoretically run in this board, the machine won't POST with the CPU installed...

I am looking into updating the CPU microcode in the BIOS, but I cannot locate the corresponding Update00.rom...

I have been hunting the interwebs for BIOSES which support Core 2 Quad CPUs ... but all I could fin were AMI or Insyde and I do not have the slightes clue, how to extract the microcode updates from these :(

14. zaka789

zaka789 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    hi guys, i have a little problem with modding my bios. i downloaded a new bios for my motheboard AsRock N73V-S,but there is just a one file - n73vs1.30.exe, How to extract my bios from here,to modding??
    thank's to all ))
    the link to bios:
    europe.asrock.com/downloadsite/bios/775/N73V-S(1.30)DOS.zip

15. zaka789

zaka789 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    PROBLEM SOLVED by downloading a previous file of BIOS (1.20).everything succesfull

16. jmeno

jmeno MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2011
    What bioses uses hp compaq in business notebooks. I found no vendor strings, im sure its NOT phoenix, insyde, award or ami. Use they own proprietary bioses? Are there any tools like cbrom for modding?

17. PDS

PDS MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009