Modding Windows 7 installation media?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by flyboynm, May 1, 2011.

1. flyboynm

flyboynm MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    I cannot find my guide on how to do this anymore. There was a guide that showed you what files that can be modded and how to use DISM to mount the install.wim and such. Does anyone know where I can find this document or one similar?

Is there any way to slipstream a folder into the root of the Windows 7 install disk? I want to put a folder that I can put files in that can be accessed via the media after installation. This folder would be full of documentation, specialized patches and installers.

Thank you for your help!

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    A search of this forum will point you to numerous threads on slipstreaming/integration, DISM usage and so forth.

When creating an installation .iso, the folders you desingnate will be included in the process. I do that by having all the files and folders I want included in a "source" folder. I generally have several custom folders: Standard Programs, Registry Edits, Utilities and etc. When I subsequently burn the newly created .iso to disk, all the files and folders are included, original OEM and my custom ones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. flyboynm

flyboynm MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    Thank you! I found the other information and feel stupid about the folder. :p LOL