Modified Start menu and Taskbar layout .xml

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by CommanderHK47, Apr 24, 2019.

1. CommanderHK47

CommanderHK47 MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2012
    Hi, i am attempting learn how to correctly write and deploy a modified layout .xml for simple customized start menu and taskbar for Windows 10 LTSC 1809. I'm just pining the file explorer to the taskbar, but windows is adding in theses three tiles that i don't want.

I tried to force the modified layout to not include any extra tiles, but that didn't work either, and Windows is still defaulting these 3 tiles if i use a modified taskbar or start menu .xml file.

upload_2019-4-24_7-11-27.png

If some one has a completed template file, or could provide detailed instructions on what i must be messing up, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. CommanderHK47

CommanderHK47 MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2012
    I finally figured out what the issue was thanks to some reddit post that talked about the same issue.

You need to delete the following key from the default user profile NTUSER.dat for window 10 170X and above:
    Code:
    Computer\HKEY_USERS\Default_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore
    After you do that, then your LayoutModification.xml file will be read by Windows correctly as long as its stored in:
    Code:
    C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
    I've tested this as working for local accounts as well as domain accounts, but i am unsure if it would negatively impact Microsoft online accounts. That would need to be tested before saying that deleting the CloudStore key is impact free.

Thanks for sharing your layouts though.

3. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    I don't delete that and don't have any issue :)
    maybe because i always use local account

4. CommanderHK47

CommanderHK47 MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2012
    hmm i could not get it to work unless i deleted it, and may others have reported having to do the same since 1607+

Also i am running:
    and not Pro or Enterprise.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I wanted the menu to STAY as I configured it. So I needed to COPY CloudStore/Caches/Explorer folders the destination profile