Modify the default context-actions on "desktop apps" in Metro start?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by hmemcpy, Dec 30, 2012.

1. hmemcpy

hmemcpy MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2012
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a way, if possible, to modify (or more specifically, add) a new action for the "legacy" tiles (shortcuts) in the Metro start: hXXp://i.imgur.com/6g1yE.png (sorry, too n00b to add images :))

My goal is to add a new action Create on Desktop, which will copy/create the selected shortcut in the desktop folder.

I've spent some time in Process Monitor, trying to find how Windows decides on what shortcuts to add, and it led me to an interesting registry entry: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.DesktopApplication\Shell. It seems to define a set of default actions, each of them invokes a command via DelegateExecute. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to add my own commands (I tried adding it in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Launcher.DesktopApplication\Shell, to avoid modifying permissions, but without much luck).

Has anyone ever spent some time with custom shell operations?

Alternatively, what's the quickest/best way to copy "legacy" shortcuts from the Start screen to the desktop? I currently click Open File Location, and then copy the shortcut manually, but it sucks :)