Monitor Opinios, Please

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by dragonfire665, Feb 6, 2009.

1. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #2 HMonk, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    holy crap, ok MONK let me start by sayin damn u kno your s**t. Man i can always can on ur on my post for help, and every other great person within in here. But man look at how u just explain to me the details point and needs of a monitor, i will be honest to u i was just lookin for a monitor, but you just made my choices more difficult and clear at the same time. N what i mean by that is the fact that now im clear on how i should look at them but now is difficult on what to get.

When i reread my options, i did see the difference, like you said apples with oranges. But i most say that i can go for Widescreen at most, which is why i will stick with 16:9. The second reason i was goin really hard on the ASUS HDMI, is cuz it has the capabilties to do 1920X1080, which as i bet that i kno nothing, i though that me having a 260GTX it will be much better for my games. But i kno that i can be wrong. As you might already notice, i wan nothin more than 22in.

Regarding your monitor, man it does look nice. I like it alot, but as you said, it doesnt have HDMI, but as u also said, is it truely needed? i guess not, i bed the picture might look just as good with DVI as with HDMI, but please correct me if im wrong.

So here is the thing, i kno you just gave me a huge and i mean huge help on deciding on a monitor, but man now i dont kno what to pick, lol

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Thank you

First off, I appreciate your kind words. I share what I know and research what I am not entirely sure of before I share. My bias is to know as much about a system as I can so that I can more accurately predict how it will serve me, and possibly others.

For instance: HDMI. Most people seem to agree that as far as video quality is concerned, there is no difference between DVI and HDMI and HDMI is backward compatible with DVI. The difference shows up by being able to route an HD device through an HDMI compliant video card to your monitor. In other words, HDMI is more about being able to connect your TV, Blu-ray, PlayStation to your PC. HDMI also carries the audio signal which DVI does not. For me, the bottom line is, if you do not intend to connect any of these devices to your PC, HDMI is unnecessary and, therefore, I am not going to limit myself to only those monitors that are HDMI compliant. Although my gfx cards are HDMI compatible (ATI Radeon HD4830), I purchased the LG L227WTG because I have no intention of connecting external devices to my PC. By the way, one reason for not doing so is that PC LCD monitors cannot hold a candle to TV monitors as far as ghosting is concerned; TVs don't ghost!

What to pick? Your choices will narrow as you decide on the features you must have. In order of importance to me was: 22-inch; fast response time (2ms); glossy screen; dual-link DVI (v. single link).

I think the best thing about knowledge is its ability to slash through hype. Add to this a focus on your intended use (or, conversely what you do not intend to do) and you end up with a device that suits you. Finally, add budgetary considerations. If I am going to configure a Crossfire set up and, if I want Radeon gfx cards, and if the HD4830 is rated essentially as good as the HD4850, why spend an extra $200 for two HD4850s? That, to me, is silly but some folks have to have the latest greatest whether they appreciate the differences or not.

I'm rambling but consider another example: AMD v. Intel. I use AMD processors because Intel prices are bloated: "Intel Inside" - give me a break! Are the differences worth the extraordinary difference in price? I don't think so and I bet the average user could not tell the difference outside of spec sheets.

Anyway, get what you want for your reasons to suit your intended use. Then enjoy.

Monk

5. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Age/Research

@ Fast1: We all know lots of stuff just because we have been around computers for a while - some longer than others so they may know more.

My LCD knowledge comes form an extensive search I did before I bought my first LCD; they came with a number of specifications I never heard of! Secondly, I always take into consideration what users say. For example, I am a gamer so I checked out forums at game sites as well as tech sites for reviews.

With the advent of Google, it's like having a research library in your home. I noted in this thread a link to another post I made which is more complete. In that thread I have a couple of posts which reference links that provide a good bit of info - all of which came from Google.

Monk