Monitor turns off after about 5 seconds on boot

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Puremin0rez, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Basically here's the backstory.

My computer was built in May. I have not had a single issue with it.

Today I went away for about 5 minutes and came back and my monitor was in standby, something that happens normally in Windows when you go away. I moved the mouse, and signal came back! However, it once again went away after about 5 seconds.

I am able to get a signal on my monitor for about 5 seconds everytime I turn it off/on.

I have tried 3 monitors and 2 different cables, it happens on all of them. Using onboard video this does NOT happen and it does not happen on other computers.

I have no idea why this is happening. I have tried everything I can but the monitor simply refuses to stay on for more then 5 seconds.

It DOES happen during POST, I loose signal about 5 seconds into post.

The computer is still working 100% fine. I can run games, etc just fine but my monitor keeps turning off every 5 seconds. I am litteraly tapping the power button as I write this post.

Overheating / Temps is NOT an issue. It's running cool, fans are good, and I have never had the card go visibly above 70c.

My Graphics card is a EVGA GTX 560 TI
    My Power Supply is an ANTEC 750w PSU

So what do you think? Is this a PSU or GPU issue?

Solutions I've tried:
    Remounting every part in my computer
    Diffrent Monitors
    Diffrent Cables

I cannot test another PSU or GPU as I do not own anymore.

What I did notice and find very strange is, If I use my 800x600 very old monitor, after turning it off and on about 100 times, it will continue to hold a steady signal until I reboot - then issues arrise. I cannot get my 1080p monitor to hold a steady signal no matter what I do.

I have never experienced anything like this before so I hope someone can help. Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #2 Muerto, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021

3. ELiTEFX

ELiTEFX MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2012
    #3 ELiTEFX, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
    IMHO definitely a hardware issue. Is this a PSU or GPU issue? Best guess (because you were very thorough in your testing/post): Tough call. Using onboard video this does NOT happen; Why?: Onboard video requires very minimal power. Solution: Buy yourself a power supply tester. I own one. Thermaltake (works on all makes). Checks voltage supply on every rail. Best support tool I ever bought. Don't use it often but when crunch time comes it's there. $20-$30 and worth every penny. Has saved me a bundle diagnosing problems correctly.
    ALSO: Buy yourself a cheap PCI (not PCI-E) video card. Excellent for troubleshooting graphics related issues (but you also have onboard).
    And try using a different video output on your video card eg switch from DVI-D to VGA or HDMI and see what happens. Could be a driver issue with the video output you are currently using (I had this happen recently). Test every option before you spend any cash .........And it goes without saying: make sure the video card is seated properly.....Good Luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I tried switching both the 6 pins out with different ones and it didn't make a difference. I notice no other PSU related problems (all of my harddrives are functional, etc)

I did absolutely nothing related to drivers in like a month. This is not a Windows issue, the screen does this in the bios too.

Yeah, I'm very confused on this issue to. I mean no matter what the problem is, it's probably all under warranty, but It's just annoying to find the BAD part.

I guess I'll have to test with a meter then and see what's up.

I have tried the HDMI port on my graphics card and monitor, it still had the same issue.

I have indeed remounted every power plug and the graphics card with no luck.

Thanks for the help guys :)

5. ELiTEFX

ELiTEFX MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2012
    #5 ELiTEFX, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    easiest and fastest solution. pull the GTX 560 TI and take it to a shop, give them $20 and ask them to test it (or go to a buddy's house). Either that or just RMA the thing. wouldn't be the first time a nVidia card quit (ATI fan here) If your rig runs fine under load with the onboard we have to lean in the direction that the PSU is OK.....:cool:

There is a second option if you have 2 PCI-E slots. Install the card in the second slot, go into the bios and set the video to boot from slot 2. Great way to test the card yourself (once again, assuming the PSU is OK). If it don't work there it's definitely RMA time. If it does work there it's new motherboard time.....:cool:

6. Computers Plus

Computers Plus MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    you have a bad video card for sure

7. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #7 Muerto, Sep 4, 2012

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    bad monitor.
    component in monitor causes it to shutdown.. seen it before. repeated power on MONITOR power button.

edit i see he tried 3 monitors. bad video card

9. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #9 Muerto, Sep 4, 2012

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    What happens when you remove all video drivers ?

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    truee could be the ATI bug .. try booting in safemode or in VGA mode
    VGA mode lets u work with drivers n stuff not safemode .

12. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #12 Muerto, Sep 4, 2012

13. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    is monitor made by samsung?

14. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    How can it be an ATI bug when he has an Nvidia card ? :eek:
    Nvidia have had some terrible drivers recently that caused the monitor to disconnect.
    Just a guess, but I find it a bit ridiculous when people jump to faulty hardware conclusions right off the bat.

15. Computers Plus

Computers Plus MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    traditional drivers only load within Windows if your having issues with video while inside the BIOS it's only using the preprogrammed DOS base it then becomes a hardware issue

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    didnt know nvidias did it too. i only knew of ati doing it since vista days.

17. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    There is a whole list of bugs in the Nvidia forum, which is down due to hacking.
    Some forceware can cause your pc to freeze at boot screen or it can go black before the login screen and disconnects from monitor.
    That is just one option though, worth checking before you jump to hardware faults.

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    For me never ever had problems with ATI but my M8 with Nvidia card :yucky:
    Anyway don't want another Poll on which is best we just want to try and solve the problem if possible ;) :D

19. RommoR

RommoR MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2011
    try reinstalling video driver

20. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #20 LatinMcG, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    when it cuts out in bios.. thats no driver, correct.
    however power 6 pin on videocard might have bad caps on it or a transistor or mosfet.. but on some rare occasions could be a bios issue.