Monitor turns off after about 5 seconds on boot

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Puremin0rez, Sep 3, 2012.

1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    It should not be driver if it cuts off in the BIOS. However with some of the Nvidia bugs it can make the PC unstable after a crash.
    Would make sense to power down the PC for about 5 minutes and then power on and see if it crashes in BIOS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    #22 Puremin0rez, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    (OP)
    Ooo I see I got some replies after a few days!

1) I'm running NVIDIA - Geforce 306.02 (Windows 8 RTM); I've been running these drivers for a few weeks now though... I don't know why they'd decide to cause BEYOND driver level issues...
    2) I am very positive it's not drivers... It does this way before Windows is loaded.
    3) I tested the original monitor I had problems with on another computer again and it CAUSED THIS to that computer now too... I had to hookup another monitor to that one and "power cycle" to "Flush out the signal"

Is a scenario like that even possible? I didn't know a Monitor could cause temporary malfunction of a GPU... Maybe it is the monitor after all? I don't know - this is a weird situation. I don't understand how a full shutdown would still cause this sort of deal. (PSU switched off too)

I cannot do anymore testing until I get some new parts but I can confirm I've been using the problematic computer for a few days now and ever since power cycling the very, very low resolution monitor I haven't had any drop outs - although I'm assuming if I hooked up the original (faulty?) monitor it would happen again.

Edit: to the person who asked, It's a 24 inch Dell Monitor from 2008.

Edit Edit: Okay so I got a new Monitor and everything is working fine now. I guess my old monitor got shot and somehow temporarily messed up my GPU, oh well, fixed now, thanks for the support everyone!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...