Motherboard USB header Y cable

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by cocachris89, Nov 23, 2015.

1. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #1 cocachris89, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Hey everyone,

I have a bit of a strange situation, I've got a mini itx motherboard that has two 9 pin usb headers however the case has four usb headers; am I able to use something like this Y cable to connect them? o_O

Is there one for AC97/HD audio header?

Has anyone used something like this before?
    If not, is there another way to connect all four usb headers using only two motherboard headers? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Never heard of doing anything like that before with those cables, but I do not think it will work. Your best option (imho) if your itx board has a pci/pci-e slot, then you can use an add-on usb card for those extra usb ports on your case. They make USB 2 and USB 3 types of pci/pci-e cards.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    yes it should work

4x USB 2.0 connectors on 2x 9pin headers;

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I agree, you should be able to use 2 usb ports on each 9 pin header. You should not need any cables like the ones you have posted.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I concur on this your very comment. I have seen that in many desktops with 2 USB ports connected on 9-pin header to the front of the casing.

6. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I was a bit vague before so I'll explain it in a bit more detail;

I received an Acer AIO with a dead motherboard. While taking it scrapping it, I noticed the board was just a little bit bigger then mini itx, so I decided to test fit it and it fits great, I just need to make some cables a little bit longer. I understand that 2 USB ports per motherboard header, however the AIO has 4x 9 pin cables (which I assume), one goes to two the side USBs, one to the card reader, another to the built in webcam and (also guessing here) to the light bar board.

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I would suggest you test them to find out. Speculating on what could belong to the different ports was not going be the right way to go in getting positive results.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If this is a DOA board, then why screw around with it?

9. cocachris89

Mar 1, 2013
    The board itself it stuffed and I noticed it was slightly larger then mini ITX standard, so I thought, "Why the f*** not"

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If you have that dead board, you could google the specs using the model number of that board and use those specs to cross reference the I/O ports on the board to the ITX board. Post the model and any reference numbers on that AIO board, then post the model/reference numbers of your ITX board