Move Win 8 Pro OS to new motherboard and cpu

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Mac25, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Mac25

Mac25 MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2008
    old 775 system dying so I need to move to a 1155 system, would like to keep all program installations and system settings as they are, don't mind having to activate, replacing the motherboard/cpu/ram, is there a prep tool to help make it a smoother process than the earlier OS's ?

I never loaded system specific drivers when I orig installed the OS, so all generic win 8 drivers.

2. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I use Acronis 2013 and find it works very well ... (IMHO) better than the others... faster also.
    but requardless here is from a fellow that:

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could try to use a same MB Brand with same CPU Brand and it may just works. Done that 2 times with customers computer and hadn't any probl;ems, except some drivers which was need to download new.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mac25

Mac25 MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2008
    used Acronis in the past since V7,8,9,10 & 11, and Universal Restore, never had any luck with UR, win 8 image works very well tho.

never used [ and not to lazy to read ] sys prep but may try it without oobe as Im not looking for the oobe, just wana change mobo and proc let win load the needed drivers and activate, I can uninstall the proc in device manager before shutdown, mobo drivers a lot harder, all other software I have loaded is compatable with win 8, maybe sys prep will work, its in win 8 folder.

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    The thing about Sysprep is to make the system ready for different hardware, sysprep will remove specific device settings so when you boot it up again, it will be like your first boot after you installed Windows 8 on a new PC.
    You don't actually have to sysprep, if you are a bit lucky then it will work without doing anything, just switch HDD and see if it works, if it doesn't then you need to Syprep if you don't want to re-install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    #7 Boyfriend, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  7. Mac25

Mac25 MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2008
    thanks for the link, I was looking on the TechNet site but could not find sysprep related to win 8, if I read correctly sysprep/oobe will leave the programs installed but will reset all programs to clean install status, which is what Im looking to do, I think.

esp concerned with thunderbird mail and all my folders, received/sent.

gona image win and test sysprep today, keeping fingers crossed, pulling the drive and booting to diff hardware will be last resort, if nothing else works.

8. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
  9. Mac25

Mac25 MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2008
    created image and took the chance [ fingers crossed ], uninstalled all I could from device manager, even hidden devices, shutdown and installed the mobo and cpu, booted to windows and installed all drivers, called in for automated activation of win 8 and office, all went very smooth with no complaints, no bsod's or hangs, no errors or reloading programs and all updates, what a blessing.

10. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    In theory it shouldn't be nessasary to uninstall drivers, drivers for nonexistant devices just won't load. The problem are bundled utilities and services that load even if the driver doesn't.

I install all my devices by letting Windows find the INF file and never had a problem moving a HD since Vista.