Moving AWAY from Microsoft products IS very much possible for many people.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by smallhagrid, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
  2. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #223 ipx, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022

3. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    :g: mavericks choise missed that one, i think..;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #225 ipx, Sep 10, 2020

5. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    I visited the linuxreviews site and it shows this funny image at its top:
    lxreviews.jpg
    I think that is very cute !!
    (Yes, this was when I was using a browser under XP...)

6. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #228 ipx, Oct 18, 2020

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    To each - their own choices, live and let live I say.
    No condemnation or name calling follows, merely factual comparisons as well as my own position as far as what works best for ME.

To the wonderful folks who are happy with handheld only & limited options I say:
    Bravo !! Good for You !!!

I do actually have a very nice, mid-range Chromebook, which sits very quietly inside a knapsack here.
    It has gotten maybe a total of a few hours usage since I bought it...almost a year ago.
    A big attraction for me was seeing that it could run some Android apps, until it became clear that it had limitations in that regard which disincluded much of what I wanted to do with it.
    It would have been a great deal too - if it was actually useful for me - and maybe it will be in the future, before 'support' for that model evaporates.

I bought it as a hedge against nearly ALL 'modern' browsers becoming merely chrome-ized clone things, which is why I dumped firefox.

BUT:
    Its OS should rightfully & correctly named OnlineBrowserOS.

In this overly chrome-ized world it is obvious that a great many folks are 100% fine with being service & server dependent AND that many folks also do not have any clues about actual file ownership or even what would happen if they lost access to the server(s) where they've been using 'their' stuff from.

Some few of us DO want all our stuff stored right here at home though, and as such I respectfully disagree with this opinion:
    No, it cannot give anyone even remotely close to EVERYTHING that most good Linux distros offer, and what it cannot do is quite a lengthy list !!

However I do agree with part of what was quoted above=>
    Yes, depending upon its configuration/version etc. it CAN run some Android apps fully, and;
    Most likely it is also 100% fine for switching away from the 'modern' windoze versions that already have folks doing everything via some server that they do not control & for those folks who don't care about that fact.

BTW:
    I tried for those hours with the chromebook to make it more tolerable for my uses - but I found that its enforced workflow & its lack of things I could truly tweak to my preferences soon got to be too long of a list, so I quit trying & put it away, knowing that in truth it can make a splendid small Linux netbook if I decide on that path for it.

I also looked into the idea of running the ChromeOS as a VM, but at the time there were some strange goings-on about that & sources had become hard to find;
    That may have changed by now, I really don't know,

As things stand, I'm sticking with my wonderfully configurable & configured OS & browsers that have NOT gotten brain & feature wiped.
    Thank Goodness for Basilisk & Mypal Browsers & Ubuntu Mate !!

9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    You're wrong, I've been using it for nearly 2 years now. My phone and a chromebook for work, I don't need anything else!

10. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Great - congratulations, you are comfortable & satisfied with this solution, a very good situation - for YOU:
    You are a member of the group of people whom I've described in my reply, above - and as such you do not mind or care about the concerns mentioned;
    This does NOT make me 'wrong' nor does it make you 'right' - but instead merely different in our differing needs.

For me & folks who desire those other, different things - this is NOT a satisfactory solution, and is as I've described.

Taking this one step further:
    Using anything, be it an OS or a browser so firmly controlled by any giant corporation is totally unacceptable for me as well as for a great many others who wish to have local file storage as exclusively as possible and maintain at least a small amount of our little remaining privacy.

You have stepped away from microsoft, and stepped into google;
    Both of which create situations of total non-privacy and openly regard people as their 'products'.

Is one any better of a choice than the other ??
    I've no idea really, thus I choose to avoid any connections with BOTH as much as possible.

11. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    not since ms fixed that nearly 10 years ago
    lemme guess ur still using ancient win7 ?
    hell there have been .reg files floating around since nt4 that fix it 2

12. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    As clearly indicated in other threads which you have replied into, my Dear Follower:
    I have clearly said that I quit being a windows user a bunch of years ago.

That was also after supporting many, many businesses, individuals and families with their (often self-inflicted) windows problems for 20+ years.

Meaning:
    Walking into someone else's situation where they'd messed around & brought on their own BSOD, then called me for help.
    (Yes, I made what have been named 'housecalls', in this rural area.)

The point made above is that there is NO SUCH THING as BSODs for Linux users like myself, thankfully.

Suggestions for you my Dear Follower:
    If you are so determined to follow me around here so faithfully, perhaps you may also bother to read what I've written rather than responding so irrelevantly ??

Best Wishes to You, Dear Follower, and as always:

:hug::flowers::kissin::giverose::gkiss:

13. bear_aussie

Jun 8, 2015
    #236 bear_aussie, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    yeh their are
    u just call em "kernel panics"
    exact same thing

14. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Yep, sho' nuff' are sort of related, thanks for your reminder Dear Follower !!:
    And in my ~20 years total of Linux exposures I've seen all of...
    One, EVER !!!
    Those are so rare (in my experiences) as to be almost forgotten.

15. bear_aussie

Jun 8, 2015
    bcuz linux in my experience prefers 2 just hang ur system when it craps itself
    the only time ur likely 2 see a kernel panic is the "can't mount root fs, vfs not synced, yadda yadda..."
    which funnily enuff is the exact analogue of windows INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE (status 0xc000007b) :D

16. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Maybe ONCE per user every year or so & after all that time using the system every day browsing, videos, the works:
    So sorry Dear Follower, in the 'crapping itself' department, ALL the M$ OSes that I've been exposed to are far more likely to hang, and need rebooting and other sorts of attentions than the Linux systems I've been involved with for years now.
    And the folks with the Linux PCs are not shy - when (very seldom) anything seems amiss to them, they call and text me - but it happens so seldom that I've become like the old Maytag repairman.

In my windoze days I was also on call 24/7 - and had folks needing my work all 7 days of most weeks when they fubar'd their PCs somehow.
    The pay was quite good, but now that it is over with I do not miss that running around at all.

17. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    #240 nodnar, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    windoze may be very comfy, and it may be all you know, but you might consider to try out linux mint, berin. [ not so impossibly hard if you have got an obsolescent lappy lying around...]
    it actually installs without asking daft questions about keys, and without the spyware from m$.. and it will usually be faster than under windoze too.. and you wont need to have
    m$defender phoning home every 5 mins... linux has come a long way, and the price is right too..:)