Moving AWAY from Microsoft products IS very much possible for many people.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by smallhagrid, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
  2. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Yes indeed:
    Piggy goes OINK too (M$ piggy, that is !!).

Those changes became too invasive with the arrival of XP SP3 for this user.

All their releases including AND after that are simply:
    Painful. Torturous. Lobotomized.

It is MY computer - for ME to do with as I wish - NOT for any company or OS to determine without any approval by me.

3. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Just a wee bit to add from the POV of a new user of Ubuntu Mate 18.04 .
    When it 1st arrived it did some really goofy stuff & had to be poked a bit...
    Then it got the 18.04.1 update which didn't seem to matter much, but:
    Now that it got to 18.04.2 it is really great, very, very solidly reliable IMO.

4. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    All of a sudden Linux is more attractive as an alternative to Windows. Linux has improved but that is not the reason, all my other devices now update/backup themselves without the need for support software on a PC [only written for Windows]. Phones, SatNavs and other devices are now totally independant, a big bonus as these products have until now locked me into Windows. Printers are still a pain, my new one [Epson] works fine under Linux and the functions are all contained within the printer [ink levels, swapping cartridges etc] can all be done through the printer control panel, PC software is there but not crucial [again only written for Windows]. Installing software in Linux [Debian] and updating the system is now a breeze, the Terminal is now required no more than Command Prompt in Windows, its an option and no longer compulsory.

I have also noticed that there is now [just about] enough alternative software out there [that actually works] to enable me to jump ship. At the moment I find Windows just has the edge overall but as Microsoft continue to make Windows more and more intrusive and annoying the time is not that far away when I will turn my back on it.

5. Xolvix1

Xolvix1 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2015
    All I know is that by running Windows I can use 100% of my software, now AND in the future, whereas with Linux that goes down to about 60% (maybe 70-80% if I use Linux alternatives that just aren't as good, eg. LibreOffice vs Office 2016). WINE might be able to do the rest, but at that point I may as well do the logical thing and SOLVE my Windows issues rather than jump ship and deal with the eternal issues that come with using a desktop system that has at best 2% market share.

I really do love Linux, but I still hate this push towards general use when it really doesn't scratch enough itches.

6. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #66 smallhagrid, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    (OP)
    To each their own Xolvix1 !!

The largest numbers of folks mostly use a browser, maybe an email client, word processor & a spreadsheet app;
    It is actually a minority who need other, special purpose s/w.
    (Photographers, coders, audiophiles, doctors of all sorts, lawyers and so on do not constitute the bulk of PC users.)

Then there are the legions of gamers - who do not fit into any group other than...gamers !!

For those who definitely prefer the visual aspects of the latest M$ O$es - with the menuing obscured beneath the 'pearls' & all the graphical ribbons - that preference may be satisfied somehow with themes & such - but I've no real idea as (frankly) I refuse to tolerate that cartoony stuff.

Truth be told - if one is happiest using some certain OS despite whatever problems they may have with it, good for them, I say - go for it !!

For those who desire certain other facets of computing=>
    It is easy enough to use 2 OSes simultaneously with Linux as the host & that 'other' OS as the guest.

This is how I solved my desires to keep certain exact s/w in use & I've been doing this for years already.

It is not quite as easy as just buying a box store PC with the inevitable M$ O$ on it, then adding the hydra of M$Office to it, then re-buying an entirely newer system later on whenever M$ orders those users to do so...

As a contrast to that 'normal', mainstream way of doing things:
    Getting into Linux or another non-M$ OS does have its high points and can be quite satisfying for those who desire to do so and who are willing to make the little extra effort to accomplish that goal.

7. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #67 smallhagrid, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    (OP)
    Hopefully some of the folks who've been frightened away from trying a Linux offering via a liveboot media or otherwise will see this thread and realize that the lies being promoted by the very lengthy 'Linux is impossible for most people' thread are just that
    - outright lies posted by folks too stubborn to be open minded about what may even be better than what they choose due to their preferences or occupational needs.

Furthermore, the 'opposing' thread which is filled with nonsense aimed at frightening folks away from even giving Linux a chance IS PINNED.

That is a horrible injustice as that thread is promoting outright lies.

If it MUST be pinned, then my more open-minded thread here in the Linux section ALSO should be pinned as it debunks lots of lies and fears which are being promoted by the other thread.

Thanks.

8. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Linux is excellent, just not as polished as Windows and lacks choice of software. 90% of the population who just browse the internet, shop online and write the odd letter would hardly notice any difference. On the plus side system updates are better, all the basic software is free, its more secure and no ads, I grudgingly stay with Windows due to a few tasks that are impossible for me to carry out in Linux.

9. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I installed MX Linux on an old machine yesterday, it took half the time to install and set up compared to Windows, everything is up and running perfectly, I had to use the terminal once to grant root privileges to one program. Installing additional software is a doddle with MX Package Installer and Synaptic Package Manager. There is nothing to be afraid of with Linux, it just has a little less choice of software, I am not a Terminal fan, you don't need to use it any more than you need to use Command Prompt in Windows IF YOU CHOOSE the right distro. MX is Debian based, another good one is Linux Lite based on Ubuntu, these are good places to start and in my case stay.

10. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks Again Kim100, your replies are very helpful & encouraging !!!
    IMO, most folks would be very surprised at how painless it is to get & try out a Linux distro - IF they will only try it for themselves (and ignore any/all naysayers).
    The (now ancient) time of being forced to get things done via the scary command prompt are long since gone and the better distributions have become incredibly easy & user friendly for folks who are tired of having to put up with the effects of buying into the wintel cartel.

11. FreeWare4Life

FreeWare4Life MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2016
    Linux OS/distros/flavours are multiple and as such could be confusing to a newbie (I count myself a noob).

Ubuntu appears to be the go to Linux for newbies.

Linux Mint (Mint) is also popular and has the added advantage of the taskbar style desktop (Mint default desktop environment is named Cinnamon). Linux desktop environments are best explained by pointed you back to Windows when you had the option of changing newer versions of windows (VIsta) to XP mode.

I personally think the biggest obstacle in changing to Linux from Windows is the navigation of the new environment. For example: Many iPhone users struggle to adjust to Android and vice versa. It is the unfamiliarity rather (or the fear of the unknown) which puts people off.

To anybody who is new to Linux and thinking of using any Linux distro I would strongly advise creating a "live" USB stick and playing around with the environment like this. This way you are not installing Linux on your machine and are not losing Windows or your data.

Also as stated by other posters Linux is highly customizable. You can change a lot of things in Linux (again think Android customization compared to Apple/Windows phones). You can run one version of Linux and use several different desktop environments (desktop appearance). This is just the tip of the ice berg.

However, just because you can customize Linux does not mean you have too!

I started off using Live USB Linux and tried several versions/distros/flavours this way. I then went to a dual booting machine and now run a Windows machine, a Linux machine and regulatory use a Live Linux USB on my Windows laptop.

Don't waste time being scared. Be prepared. Do your research and then build up slowly.

ZorinOs has several desktops built in made to look like Windows and like Mac OS. Personally I would not recommend this to beginners (I would not advise spending money on something you may not use) as only some desktops are available in the free version and the paid version unlocks the rest (it may be possible to download the other desktops manually but i have not looked into this).

Hopefully this helps somebody! :)

12. ar_seven_am

ar_seven_am MDL Senior Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I only use ubuntu for fixing trouble in m$ os or testing some android app, it's really tiresome since my work file getting ransomware or virus 3 or 5 times (yes it had an antivirus in the computer but it shutting down by my work mate) just because some stupid work mate install cracked application (which is really stupid since freeware have better and get supported and have the same capabilities rather than paid software which have lot of fake crack) or visit some fishing or malware webpage.
    If some design application (like adobe or coreldraw which is paid by my company) fully supported linux os, will be very awesome, I will migrate completely.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I have dabbled with Linux for the best part of 25yrs, it is only recently that for me it has felt like a serious contender. More and more companies are producing Linux versions of their software, its just a matter of time. Linux is much easier to use now and the choice of applications is growing by the day, Linux is almost there.

14. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    #75 rayleigh_otter, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Even if you dont use linux part time a live cd/usb can save your arse in an emergency. Have a linux live usb key sitting around just incase :) Got a laptop with a dead battery and hdd? linux live usb key n you got a working machine. :)

15. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    I used debian etch many moons ago and liked it. tried a few other distros in recent years but had troubles so i went back to debian. grabbed a few debian live images with different desktops, settled on mate. :)

16. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Debian based distros seem to be the most versatile, not as user friendly as Ubuntu but more robust. Xfce desktop for me but Mate and Budgie are nice too:)

17. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009

18. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #79 smallhagrid, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    (OP)
    In reply #72 FreeWare4Life mentions 3 distros and some info about each.
    There are some considerations which I think must be added and/or repeated here.

Topmost for me is that any OS must be undemanding after installation - what I like to call 'grandpa friendly'.
    This qualification the way I define it is that the system with this OS can be put into the hands of someone either technophobic or well on in years, and they can use it easily enough.
    It took quite a while to reach that state for Linux, but it finally did, which is fantastic as I see it.

As to those mentioned from my POV...

Ubuntu:
    Of all distros, this one has the largest userbase that is very active, reachable and it also has variants that can better suit individual desires - for example, my pick is Ubuntu Mate which suits my needs and workflow best.
    (It also has a wonderfully helpful forum...and as with all Ubuntu variants, it is still Debian-based.)

Linux Mint:
    I have tried it multiple times & find it to be too hardware fussy - and aside of that really nothing special (IMO).
    For an Ubuntu-based OS, it certainly hasn't impressed me as being nearly as solid as Ubuntu itself is,
    Nothing much else to say about it, after testing it a bunch of times I chose to cross it off my list.

Debian:
    Straight up it is definitely quite nice - but too demanding of attention to satisfy my needs or the needs of the handful of folks whom I assist with tech needs.

Zorin:
    Frankly there is quite a bit about this Ubuntu-based distro which I find to be overly disturbing...

1 - It is the product of 2 young men who are brothers, but really only develop it and do not support it themselves - but;
    2 - They want folks to pay for it;
    3 - It is mostly aimed at the 'modern' windoze crowd with that sort of dumbed down interface;
    4 - The main support conduit is a forum with users doing the support for other users;
    5 - It is very buggy, still - after being out for ~9 years;
    6 - To get it in a version that will suit classic desktop users requires payment;
    7 - After being involved in helping a friend buy it & use it, and testing it in newer versions I simply say that it is better choice, easier & much more solid to just use Ubuntu Mate !!

Once again replying to FreeWare4Life, who said this:
    For those who prefer a classic, boring, undemanding desktop PC style, Ubuntu Mate is totally simple to navigate - and I have proven this as true by setting up systems for folks of different ages and none of them have had any difficulty in navigating within it.

I have always advocated the use of live boot media to start with, and also that Linux is certainly nothing to be afraid of getting into - and those whom I've helped make the transition have all happily gotten done with windoze permanently thereby.

19. ar_seven_am

ar_seven_am MDL Senior Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Yes, only if developer of design application interested, it will be awesome. It had available in mac os, but for linux distros huufft...
    Had no idea why they didin't make for linux since mac os use the same kernel as linux too -_-

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...