Moving User Profile in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nouvomx, Jan 8, 2009.

1. nouvomx

nouvomx MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2008
    Can I move or make a user profile to a different partition/disk for example, instead of accessing it in C:\Users\username

I'll move it to D:\Users\username

What's the best way to achieve this?

2. nacor

nacor MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2007
    i dont think there is a way to move the complete user folder in one step but you can rightclick all your user folders like desktop,downlods,etc. and in the location tab enter the new one. win will prompt you if you want to move the folder. i do this since vista so i have my pernonal folders with my data.
    this will not affect %appdata% folders so not all data is on a safe second drive.

3. nouvomx

nouvomx MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2008
    thanks guys,

so zaford, I need to edit the windows7 iso for that? how do I actually use WAIK, any painless guide out there?

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    HSChronic, could be right there it may not be such a good idea to use the Vista WAIK on Windows 7. :(
    Altho, If you download it you still use it to 'Mount' and 'Unmount' the .WIM files (in Windows 7 not Vista) and the help files explain how to move the 'Users' folder. You might find away to do manually.

Something eles that may help you.
    If you right click the folders inside the Documents folder theres a 'Location' tab that will let you move that folder, but it only works with some folders and it drives the 'Libaries' nutz :D

5. nouvomx

nouvomx MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2008
    thanks for your heads up guys :)

I'm mainly interested in just moving one profile to another partition, the reason for this is that, I want the settings of my programs to retain, like photoshop, my browsers etc, even if I restore my C: prompt to the original state.

Moreover my files, documents and pictures will still be intact, it should be that way in my opinion, since the user profile tends to grow large which leads to fragmentation of c: drive.

Now if only microsoft make an option to locate your userprofile in another drive, that would rock!

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @nouvomx,
    Try searching for 'Roaming Profiles' that may give you want your looking for.
    But even so it will probably need to be setup 'at' or 'before' installation. :(