Moving Win10 installation from MBR SATA drive to NVME GPT

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Dgk, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Dgk

Dgk MDL Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Anyone has experience in this field? It is not a problem to image disk data and restore it, my issue is the booting part. Is there a way to make that installation boot with GPT partitioning system after it is restored on NVME drive? I know it is fairly easy to restore MBR and bootloader on any drive you want, just copy installation over, assign proper letter, make partition active and do some CLI tooling.
    The whole UEFI/GPT thing is a bit more complicated even so when you need to do everything manually and migrate to it.

2. Dgk

Dgk MDL Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Asking for manual way, to understand the process and understand how to debug

3. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    You can easily move a windows install from mbr to gpt, all that has to be done is make sure the windows install remains on the same partition number on your new drive--easiest to just make sure your current setup has a separate boot partition at the front of the drive, then setup your new nvme the exact same way except for the boot partition, it will need to be made specifically (current windows 10 versions) with diskpart as an efi then assign it a letter, make a wim of the old, apply the wim to the same partition number as before (ie. harddisk 0, partition X to hardisk X, partition X making sure the partition number matches from the old to where you will have the windows on the new.

however, your problem is going to be that the nvme drivers are not going to load automatically at boot so your newly applied image won't boot no matter what you do, I don't think. If you were just replacing your mbr disk with a normal sata ssd, the above method will work without a hitch, as I've done it many many many times now. and it's a fairly quick process depending what you use to make your image. dism works just fine for all of it.

4. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    "No matter"is a bit of a stretch..

The simplest and more obvious thing to do is to boot once our old OS from SATA with the NVME disk connected, BEFORE cloning it.

It's a general rule that works since the days of win nt3.x