Moving Windows 10 installation to another hardware does not break activation!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by arifkarim, Aug 9, 2015.

1. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I think it likely just re-activated using the different hardware since the hardware was already on MS's servers.

2. deagles

deagles MDL Developer

Feb 22, 2013
    #42 deagles, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. arifkarim

arifkarim MDL Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Ok, guys, after enjoying activated Windows 10 Pro on my new hard disk, it finally got deactivated today :(

But thankfully, my firewall found the culprit:

C:\Windows\System32\slui.exe

So I took a system restore and blocked this little activation checker. No problems so far... :biggrin:

@murphy78

4. arifkarim

arifkarim MDL Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Any news on this? o_O

5. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#45 Smart86, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
    My understanding of this transfer over thing is if you have an windows 7 or 8 oem and you upgrade to 10 that 10 is an oem which does have some hardware limits but if you have an W 7 or 8 retail and upgrade to 10 that 10 is an retail . And retails never had any limits as long its on one comp at a time ... So how has that change . Oh yeah, but if you get the free upgrade its only good on that comp for the life of that comp but after july 29 / 16 and your comp dies or make 2 many hardware changes you still can use the W 7 or 8 retail disk again but you will need to buy an upgrade to 10

6. Jacoub

Jacoub MDL Member

Aug 14, 2011
    I noticed today that if a PC running windows 7 Pro activated by DAZ loader or Windows 8.1 activated by KMS after upgrading to windows 10 Pro it will be activated but later when you have a fresh install on the same hardware Windows 10 Pro is no longer activated. I would appreciate if somebody can try & confirm

7. arifkarim

arifkarim MDL Member

Feb 17, 2011
    This is not entirely true. I used DAZ Loader and reactivated on same drive at least 3 times fresh, still got permanent activation!

8. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#48 Smart86, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
    I visit another forum site which are more into doing things the legal ways, you know the types ? Those sites which have connections with MS . 2 of those guys there were saying how Microsoft will be going after people with illegal copies who have upgraded to 10 . At first I just laughed but now that I heard about how 10 is I'm thinking who knows . Though I wouldn't want to be first in line to upgrade that for sure

9. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014

Right--they use differing algorithms, but I have no idea what, of course--they change them constantly. If you have a retail license and do a mobo swap, if you do not immediately get activated it will be because the servers think you are already activated elsewhere--but in that case, phoning in will solve the problem and you can activate that way. Retail will survive mobo swap, by phone if not automatically. (OEM will not, I would guess.) I put a new boot drive into my wife's machine today and cloned the old drive to the new one (without copying over the drive ID, too) and as I figured her previous Win10 installation booted right up and was activated...So I doubt they're looking much at hard drives if at all.

In fact, I suspect they'll be very lax on the whole enchilada for the first year...it just makes sense that they would. The whole point of the free upgrade thing is to get people on 10. There will be plenty of time to tighten the activation screws after the upgrade period has elapsed, after you've gotten the bulk of your market on 10...,imo...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. zaphod77

zaphod77 MDL Junior Member

Nov 6, 2014
    LOL! there's no way they can tell after the upgrade, which removes all the evidence of loader use for you automatically.

Don't worry, people.

I know how they could catch this, but i'm not gonna give them any ideas.

Bottom line is if you are activated permanently, it's too late for them to catch you. :)

11. LOQUILLO

LOQUILLO MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2012
    I had changed my Network Adapter and I did a clean installation (before I did an upgrade win7 to win10, all ok here), now is asking for activation.
    ~

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. arifkarim

arifkarim MDL Member

Feb 17, 2011
    You can make a system restore and block slui.exe in the firewall. If you do not have a firewall, rename slui.exe to slui.bak and you are done. It can be found here:
    C:\Windows\System32\slui.exe

13. Jacoub

Jacoub MDL Member

Aug 14, 2011
    just a small reminder when windows 8 was release people used to activate by copying a dat file after a certain update all these activated became none active. of course you can argue that they are checking dat file contents ... etc but what i'm sure about is that MS activation server keeps a track of previous license info hence even after full format/hd replace ... etc they can still know how you became activated. I didn't go anywhere yesterday & I did different tests on a dell optiplex 9020 if you activate windows 7 pro by Daz or KMS or Windows 8.1 by KMS then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro it will be activated if you do a fresh install on the same hardware it will no longer be activated
    I did the same with windows 7 pro retail activated upgraded to window 10 it is activated. Made a fresh install it is still activated. Replaced HD & fresh install Windows 10 Pro still activated. A fresh Install Windows 10 Pro on VHD still activated. Changed UEFI to BIOS & a fresh Windows 10 install still activated.
    I can't say it is for a fact since some people confirmed they did the same with loader but Windows remained activated. All I'm saying it worth checking

14. Slamtilt

Slamtilt MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2014
    Changing the Network card, which changed the MAC address, de-activated a Win10 user on another forum. Install Win 7 with your new Network Adapter in the pc, activate, upgrade to Win 10 and let Win 10 activate. Might be easier to do this on an extra hard drive if you have one. Once you have that pc activated again I expect your older Win 10 installation would activate if you swapped the disk drives.

15. zaphod77

zaphod77 MDL Junior Member

Nov 6, 2014
    This could be the usual activation servers are overloaded problem.

click the go to windows store button like MS tells you to do and it should be able to confirm the license.

If that's not the issue, then it seems we've found the bog catch to the free upgrade. :(

16. LOQUILLO

LOQUILLO MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2012
    #57 LOQUILLO, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    I did a new Win 7 installation with new network adapter, check activation with legitcheck.hta, later I did upgrade to Win 10, then have a new Win 10 activated, again. After a new and clean installation of Win 10, and all is OK.
    I have another computer to which also put a new network card and Windows 10 has automatically recognized, even keep activation.
    As I can know or I have to run commands to know that Windows 10 has fully recognized this new device?.
    :g:

17. vanhoivo

vanhoivo MDL Junior Member

Mar 23, 2015
  18. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  19. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    OK, but what about this:

I have a few laptops, all of them are the same specs except for a few with a different GPU. All of them run the exact same software. I'm planning to upgrade them all manually to 10 first to register the machine, then create an image so in case a drive goes belly up, I'll just restore it from the image created. I'm going to take one machine, sysprep it then keep a copy of that image for restoring on to the other machines.

In this case would it just reactivate properly?