MS Store tracks across fresh installs

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by youmustlogin, May 10, 2019.

1. youmustlogin

youmustlogin MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2017
    Hi

I have a question that hopefully some of you more technical people can help me with.
    I recently discovered that across fresh installs of Windows 10, the store remembers under "My Apps", what apps you've "purchased (free apps)" and when.

I have never used an online account, only offline local accounts and have never signed into the MS Store app.

I had assumed and read that most identifying IDs are generated at first boot. What sticks across installs that MS Store can pick up to assume it's the same computer?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If your computer uses any Microsoft product or service, it will be registered in a Microsoft account with Your computer identification code.
    If you use any Microsoft service (live.com, hotmail.com, msn.com, bing.com, skype.com, OnDrive.com etc.) and log in, your computer will be registered there.
    All this is the same ie your Microsoft account. Also all apps, what You have used with Windows 8 - 8.1 are also there if You have ever loged in to one of these Microsoft accounts at least once.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. youmustlogin

youmustlogin MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2017
    That's the thing, I've never logged into an MS account. What is this computer identification ID that persists across fresh installs? It is generated from the motherboard or a combination of hardware?

4. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    Hardware ID by Mainboard.