MS U-turn about Start Menu in Win8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by steven4554, Nov 16, 2012.

1. tazd

tazd MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2009
    3r1c give startisback startisback.com a try it restores the start menu which is still in win8..

2. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    To answer @the OP : nope. Julie Green, new director of Windows dept, is the creator of Metro UI.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #23 Shenj, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    You probably did not buy a device so you probably don't know that you can find a Tile on the Startscreen that brings you to Microsofts website with little Videos and Tutorials about this new interface.
    "normal user" that can't even find basic stuff typically don't update their OS either (it's a different story on Android/iOs where they just come as update for free and only Android actually changing every major release in layout while iOS is still the same since release), typical User buys and keeps.

Also Microsoft did not plan to add a "Close" Option, but because of feedback they actually added one. You really do not need to close any Metro app in Windows 8, all they do is keep RAM while suspended, if there starts to be not enough RAM, Windows starts to close unused Metro apps itself.
    Now because they added a Close Option, many will think you actually need to close, now everyone will complain about slow start times because it was designed that Metro apps once started are basicly instant access as they are only suspended.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Even if they patched it I have found that I like classic shell better.

5. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    I know that, but at the time she would still need to work with Sinofsky, and it was he that persuaded Ballmer to go along with the Start Screen idea for Win8.

6. lnstevens1976

lnstevens1976 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2012
    It's not hard to close an app, once you learn how. On a desktop, I'm not to sure about Windows 8 (haven't installed it on my desktop yet). On my laptop though, which is a 2760p elitebook tablet, I actually enjoy it. Unfortunately I will be going back to Windows 7, but not because of the reasons people list here. I use security software from HP to lock down my tablet and it isn't Windows 8 ready yet.

Personally I think this sort of feels like Vista. Bunch of upset people who don't like change, a user interface that still needs tweaking to be right, etc.... By the time Windows 9 comes out it will probably get good reviews just like 7. lol

7. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I installed some app that made my desktop icons Huge like the 2" x2" you discribe and I was like WTF! Metro has taken over my desktop! :eek::D

8. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Apples GUI isn't even this bad. :mad:

9. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    #29 pii, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    It may work! I wasn't going to buy win8 (first win os I didn't want to get) but for 14.99 I figured what the heck! I was going to buy another copy for 14.99 but they plugged the hole so only one copy for me. :cool: So if they sell it for 15 bucks it might make it!

10. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    "I want to upgrade to windows 8 (for the security and performance enhancements), but I will be installing start8 and get rid of all the things that open metro like when you open a pdf or mp3 so I never have to see it again."

I hated win 8 until I installed start8 now I don't ever go to the metro start screen unless I WANT TO
    Now I just have to get rid of those ugly flat metro looking windows and I'll be happy again! :)

11. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    True Apple even invented the Internet and your god damn microwave!

12. Sugadevan

Sugadevan MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I Love metro, and i don't want the start menu back!! I already have start screen which is better than start menu.. you people can u get? The start menu features are not removed,:excl: the start menu is replaced by start screen with additional features.. :excl: those who dont like win8, please stay with win7 or go for Linux, Mac :)

13. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Or get win8 and make it work like a desktop PC and not a tablet/phone.

14. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    I agree completely. Server 2012 has new features that are absolutely CRITICAL for me (like the new VHDX format which is now 4kb aligned and doesn't destroy performance of SSD drives).

But I hate Metro with a passion. Have you ever tried to use remote desktop in windowed mode to connect to a Server 2012 remotely?? IT'S EXTREMELY ANNOYING!! Clicking on what used to be the "start button" becomes a hugely difficult movement with the mouse, requiring surgical precision.

It's absolutely ridiculous!!

15. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    The world doesn't revolve around your belly button... people aren't saying they want metro removed and replaced with the old start button; they're saying they want the option to choose between the new metro interface and the old desktop interface... you know like to work with Windows 8 efficiently on a non-touch device like a desktop computer, workstation or a server..

16. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    There are 0 reasons that you can not work efficently without W7 Startmenu, unless you still use Windows Developer Preview :D

17. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    That may be true for you but it isn't true for everyone.