MSI Laptop BIOS with SLIC 2.0 to SLIC 2.1 update method

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dryicemax, Aug 3, 2009.

1. dryicemax

dryicemax MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    This method works 100% if you have a MSI laptop (may be others as well) with SLIC 2.0 AMI BIOS. Here is a way to update the BIOS with SLIC 2.1 tables.

Background:
    MSI laptops usually have SLIC (2.0 or 2.1) info stored in the F0 module of BIOS. This method works if your BIOS already is SLIC 2.0 in the F0 module.

What you need:
    1. You need to have your original SLIC 2.0 BIOS
    2. Download the MSI ex723 bios from msi.com. This bios has the SLIC 2.1 info in the F0 module.
    3. MMTool.exe

How to work it
    Run MMTool.exe
    Load the ex723 BIOS ROM
    Export and save the F0 module (Uncompressed or Raw format doesn't matter)
    Now load your laptops BIOS ROM
    'Replace' the F0 module of your BIOS with the exported F0 module from ex723 ROM.
    Save your BIOS and Flash it to your laptop.
    Use a matching certificate to activate your windows.

2. TheGuysGuysGuy

TheGuysGuysGuy MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2010
    #2 TheGuysGuysGuy, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
    Wow, your post is over a year old, and not a single thank you. I've been struggling with my bios having dummy 2.0 rom's, and my inability to mod them to 2.1. My attempts even led to bios corruption. This one little piece of info could have saved me so much aggravation, if only I had read it sooner. This is definitely being added it to my bag of tricks. Thanks again... :biggrin:

3. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    ^ all you had to do was use the AMI SLIC tool.
    If it's a real SLIC 2.0 you use Dynamic Method, If it's a dummy SLIC 2.0 you cancel the Popup and use SSV2 Method.

4. TheGuysGuysGuy

TheGuysGuysGuy MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2010
    One would think so, but its never worked out that way. I know the profile says novice, but I assure you I'm not. I just do my best to avoid chatter.

Even with the most up to date slic tools, I couldn't cleanly introduce a slic to a few of my roms. SSV2, even with the automated MMTOOL, wouldn't flash. And the Dynamic method was so forceful it more often than not resulted in bad checksums, and also failed flashes. And honestly, cramming data in that manner can't be a good thing. Its got to affect a motherboards performance in some way.

I'm basically saying that the resulting slic failures were neither a fault of the tool, nor myself. I could only duplicate the problem on a few machines. Others with similar dummy slic's caused no issue. In this instance, this was by far the simplest method I've used with these troublesome dummy files.

5. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #5 NoJuan999, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
    ^ That must be the case for a few specific MB's because most (about 99% so far that I have done), worked with one of the two methods I mentioned above.
    Thanks for the info.

6. fudda

fudda MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2010
    Bricked my notebook doing this :/

7. fruttifresh

fruttifresh MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks for the hint! - this worked for me with an MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 (MS-7309 Ver: 2.3 / BIOS Version A6) - with amitool162