1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep dude of course so all users can see and avoiding useless posts

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. akq

akq MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2015
    Yo, @MSMG ! (or anyone else who has enough knowledge to answer)

Question:
    If a user would be to edit and cut down a Windows 10 ISO image with your amazing toolkit, as much as possible, to still keep it functional and a working PC-gaming-wise, and not using any other tool or software to do additional cuts, which version of the Windows 10 would be the slimmest, fastest and non-bloat after the procedure?

How much, for instance, would it matter if the target version is Windows 10 Pro or Windows Enterprise LTSB? Could the resulting image be so close to each other in performance, that it wouldn't matter which one to use? Or is there more to it?

I do not know if this question or similar to this question has been asked & answered yet - there is 185 pages of messages in this thread alone, not even mentioning all the threads in the depths of Windows 10 -sub-forum. Forgive me for not being able to find any other info regarding the matter.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Chopping for performance is futile ;)

4. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Is that general?
    So any chopped Windows 10 doesn't gain performance? No benefit?
    That's hard to believe.

Cheers.

5. daveo76

daveo76 MDL Expert

Nov 9, 2009
    It true. You don't gain much performance. The toolkit just adds and/or remove unwanted components.

6. kronflux

kronflux MDL Member

May 11, 2011
    Yes and no, removing components doesn't really affect the active system, because the majority of what you're removing wasn't running by default anyway.
    The best way to optimize for performance is disabling services you don't need.
    It is worth noting that removing Cortana and Windows Defender will help to some degree, but most other components won't do much.

It's also worth noting that the latest major update(creators update) is actually(in my testing, non scientific so don't hold me to this) the best update in terms of performance since Windows 7. By disabling several services, I managed to get the system down to around 500MB idle ram use, while I could only get previous updates down to 900MB-1GB without damaging the OS beyond decent usability.
    Again, none of this is scientific and may vary, this is only my own experience :)

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm I agree in part, because I think that best performance is reached through degree of knowledge of user no only disabling services but severals another "things" principaly how to configure gpedit.msc correctly is not easy and inside of Registry also, Windows Firewall (including Windows Firewall with advanced security) so I don't agree that using MSMG Toolkit no make difference is obvius that make! still is simple when MSMG develop Toolkit in times of Windows 8 and 8.1 as he is one great developer your clear intuit is eliminate all "things" in original ISO and all users know all benefits using MSMG Toolkit; I'm not one good developer but I know and can see clear as water differences in chopped and no chopped ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. valued17

valued17 MDL Member

Jul 1, 2013

Very nice discussion. May I know what exactly do you remove and how you go about it ? Thanks a lot in advance.

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi valued17, of course is simple you only need go to first post from OP in there you have all info needed right :)

10. valued17

valued17 MDL Member

Jul 1, 2013
    I know the features. I wanted to know what he removed and everything about his process. Sorry if you misunderstood.

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hehe maybe dude :D so is better you ask to him:)

12. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    I join others in the request:
    Could you please post, if possible, the list of services you disabled and components removed?

As for the services, I went through them one by one and found that all unneeded services already were set as manual, in other words
    the whole services thing in windows is rather optimized.
    It's difficult to disable any more services without breaking some functionality.

Cheers.

13. akq

akq MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2015
    BlackViper has some kind of website that seems to have some sort of research about what services can and cannot be disabled. Google the name. I don't want to link external site here.

14. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    I tried this Tool out to see if I could un-bloat Windows 10 a bit. I removed Cortana, most metro apps, OneDrive, Defender and System Restore. It turned my 4 GB install iso into a 6.5 GB iso, It installed and ran fine but, my fresh new WIN10 (no third party programs, drivers or anything yet) install took up 26.6 GB instead of the usual 14.5 GB. Kinda defeated the purpose.

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Did you rebuild the wim, that should decrease the size of the install.wim. Did you perform a cleanup image, to see if it cleans up the install?

16. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I have read several people complaining of large install image when removing components using MSMG toolkit, and I do not know how this is accomplished. When I remove everything I get down below 10 GB on HDD. Interestingly enough the space for install is much smaller in hyper-v at around 6.5 GB if I remember correctly. Currently I have a 15 GB installation of Windows 10 Pro for Advanced PCs with all apps removed, all windows components removed, IE removed, but I added WSL, Hyper-V, .NetFX3.5, WMC, Windows 7 Games, Sticky Notes (Classic,) DaRT, and Windows Remote Server Administration Tools. So I really am not sure how you are getting such a large installation. Also, the install.esd is about 2.6 GB. Go figure.

17. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I just do it to see what I can do to the install.wim. I have a whole portable file with a batch script which adds stuff, and changes registry stuff, then I use MSMG toolkit to remove apps, and Windows components. Do the wrong thing, make the wrong registry edits, and you can get the BSOD, or GSOD. :roll1:

18. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    #3699 Dude Guyman, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Honestly, I am not sure exactly what I did. I followed the youtube tutorial thing pretty close. Basically load up the source, remove a bunch of stuff, apply and un-mount, then remount and remove other stuff, apply and un-mount, then create iso. I figured I probably removed something that took out whatever cleanup/compression Windows install may have? I did not see any option for a "cleanup image". I may give it another shot and see if I can nail it down later.

EDIT: Yeah, I tried again with my 2016 LTSB ISO. Made sure to rebuild the source, etc. It made the 3.x GB iso into a 4.13 GB iso....not going to bother installing with it because I'm sure I'd wind up with another 20+ GB install.

/shrug

19. TimeScape

TimeScape MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2012
    This is and continues to be an amazing tool. The hard work of the MSMG team is greatly appreciated. Thank you all! :worthy: