1. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    - Remove Windows components -> Windows Apps -> System Apps -> Advanced Windows Components these menus uses the manual method to remove a component.

- Remove Windows Apps/Packages using Apps/Packages List uses the DISM to remove a App/Component.

Both the above operations are different and the Remove Windows components does the job completely, the Remove Windows Apps/Packages using Apps/Packages is given for people who wish to remove any other Apps/Components not listed other than those in the Remove Windows components menu.

For many components there are no proper packages names since MS has been merging several components into main packages and so for many components you won't be getting any list.

To get the list of packages present in the image use the install_wim_tweak.exe tool or use the command DIR /B C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\*.mum | clip, this will copy the list to clipboard, paste it into notepad and find and remove all occurrence of .mum.

Customize-> Remove default Metro Apps Association XML, this is not required if you remove all the Apps/components using Remove Windows components -> Windows Apps -> System Apps -> Advanced Windows Components

2. boo123

boo123 MDL Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Is there a way to remove those without having to go through the process of individually removing each component?

Code:
    Microsoft.AdobeFlashForWindows
    Microsoft.AssignedAccess
    Microsoft.CEIP_SQM
    Microsoft.Cortana
    Microsoft.DeviceLockdown
    Microsoft.EasyofAccessThemes
    Microsoft.EdgeDevToolsClient
    Microsoft.FirstLogonAnimation
    Microsoft.HomeGroup
    Microsoft.KernalDebugging
    Microsoft.MultiPointConnector
    Microsoft.RemoteAssistance
    Microsoft.SmartScreen
    Microsoft.SystemRestore
    Microsoft.UnifiedTelemetryclient
    Microsoft.WindowsDefender
    Microsoft.WindowsErrorReporting
    Microsoft.WindowsMediaPlayer
    Microsoft.WindowsMixedReality
    Microsoft.ReaderPDF
    Microsoft.SubsystemForLinux
    Microsoft.WindowsToGo
    Microsoft.XboxApp
    Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI

Microsoft-AADBrokerPlugin-Package
    Microsoft-AssignedAccessLockApp-Package
    Microsoft-BioEnrollment-Package
    Microsoft-ContentDeliveryManager-Package
    Microsoft-LockApp-Package
    Microsoft-MapControl-Package
    Microsoft-ParentalControls-Package
    Microsoft-PeopleExperienceHost-Package
    Microsoft-RetailDemoContent-Package
    Microsoft-SettingSync-Package
    Microsoft-SkypeORTC-Package

3. Windows 10 User

Windows 10 User MDL Expert

Feb 2, 2017
    #9523 Windows 10 User, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    I don't want to remove Edge but only Windows Reader. Is it because of Edge removal one can't remove Windows Reader in Windows 10 RS5 non-LTSC versions?

Since some components still appear in NTLite I thought they weren't removed.

I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about randomly removing components in the same section and by the mentioned order in the README file, like one or more components in Windows Apps, afterwards, one or more components in System Apps and finally, one or more components in Advanced Windows Components, not according to the order in which they appear in each of these 3 sections.

I removed Internet Explorer with MSMG ToolKit and it didn't break Settings->Apps->Default Apps->Web Browser.

EDIT: I activated the DISM ResetBase Functionality option in NTLite without configuring and removing more things with it (and without having previously and afterwards configured and removed things with MSMG ToolKit) and the Reset This PC function worked but afterwards I activated it in NTLite and configured and removed more things with it (again, and without having previously and afterwards configured and removed things with MSMG ToolKit) and it didn't work so it might have nothing to do with this (DISM ResetBase Functionality) option.

EDIT 2: I activated the DISM Image Cleanup with Full ResetBase in MSMG ToolKit without configuring and removing more things with it (and without having previously and afterwards configured and removed things with NTLite) and the Reset This PC option worked.

4. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
  5. mstms

mstms MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2018
    +1 ???

6. mhussain

mhussain MDL Senior Member

Oct 1, 2012
    hi there,
    is there away for more than one package to be removed at once?
    i.e assincrinus removal?
    or any way to configure this?

7. hoxlund

hoxlund MDL Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Yes use the search feature of this thread. It's been answered DOZENS of times.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    ? Please link to a recent one? I have seen some modifications, in the past, that ran subsequent commands in MSMG Toolkit, but never official support for it.

9. mhussain

mhussain MDL Senior Member

Oct 1, 2012
    yes and don't blast other people
    there is a reason as to why I did not search the thread,
    I use a screen reader, does the search box at the top search the thread or the hole site?
    the only thing that my screen reader tells me when arrowing over the edit box is search...
    thanks Enthousiast for not blasting me also.
    sorry for bringing down the tone of this thread.
    am I forgivven?

10. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    you search and show us the link, k?

11. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    That's why I proposed the FAQ section for the toolkit.
    It avoids people having to ask multiple times.
    Most other threads of this kind have their FAQ section.

Cheers.

12. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    I'd definitely give it a read if there was one.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    A FAQ for what, for all the options and their consequences? Even MSMG can't know what impacts all the chopping can have in the future, would be a neverending list, with every build release all is compacted and interacting more, and the methods of removal (if stuff still can be removed, after the next official build) will change with every build.

I've said this before, if people have to ask how to mount a wim or how to run a command manually, maybe it's not for them to chop at all.

14. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    In this thread, you either help each other out or you don't. There's no need for charity moderation (Hi ffs_)

15. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Command line skills are probably a prerequisite for doing any of this stuff.

16. hoxlund

hoxlund MDL Member

Nov 6, 2017
    I'll edit myself as to not cause tears

17. rwayboy

rwayboy MDL Novice

May 17, 2017
    #9539 rwayboy, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Do I have to integrate updates to Boot image and Recovery image as well or just to the install image? I am asking because I don't see any point in integrating updates in Boot and Recovery. Thanks.

18. ffs_

ffs_ MDL Junior Member

Sep 17, 2016
    No, you don't have to.

LOL, still can't get over? You remind me my ex. <3