MSMG ToolKit

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by MSMG, Nov 21, 2013.

1. app_raiser

app_raiser MDL Junior Member

Mar 18, 2018
    loool!.. winblows analytics... read again and begin to understand!

i am fully satisfied with latest image created for my offline winblows pc! never ever again i will connect the pc to internet, because... see..?!?!

i noticed something that may be of interest:
    some month ago i took the appliance of my (ongoing) favourite vm (1607) from the pc atWork with me and extracted it on the winblows-pc atHome. i think i treated them just slightly different (they're death incarnate) or completely similar. recently i created an image, twice - on both machines, following the exact same steps.. the image created on the offline pc is perfect - better than the very pleasing result from last one.. creating the image on the pc at work:
    1. i got the meanwhile well known "system reflection" error when removing the "photo viewer app" -> once
    2. the final image was 30mb bigger than the perfect one from home -> twice

this is not a question!.. this is microslop winblows!!.. (online)

because there are no more us carriers in persian gulf.. for 2 years now! have you noticed??? a thousand billion dollars have been spent - thats why you haven't been and won't be asked! (maybe you prefer a slightly more peaceful world too, even when there is no other option)

using windows installed with custom image you created will always be "interesting" for certain analytics. i don't expect it will get easier to get rid of that "core-feature" of windows. i claim ms has to continue and increase collection and sharing peoples info. and.. they get money for it - no choice.

2. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    For what is worth, I have made many LTSC (lite) ISO's starting with LTSC 17763.1 or 17763.107 refreshed in my language (fr), and never had a problem following MSMG tips. Event Viewer is clean without any errors.

Each time I made a new fresh installation on HDD (not using VM) and let Windows update doing his job. Not a single Windows app removed was returned after cumulative Updates.

- I remove all windows components - Then advanced I remove Windows Defender, and some stuff but keep Telemetry -
    I have done the same job integrating all updates using WHD folder before removing components, and end up with a fully ready to use Windows 1809 17763.292 version.

For those having errors during ToolKit process, don't forget to use an SSD or HDD partition where the host OS has full NTFS permissions. I remember once I got problems when I copied the Toolkit 8.8 folder already used before on other HDD to spare time ... :)
    Better to decompress the ToolKit from the folder you downloaded it. NTFS and ACL will follow.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2015
    #9603 Raspberry Pi, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    1. Today, I clean installed Windows 10 RS4 en-us, installed nothing except 7zip. (HOST OS)

2. I downloaded MSMG Toolkit in Downloads folder, and Unblocked it in properties.

3. Extracted MSMG Toolkit in Downloads folder with 7zip.

4. Extracted iso image in DVD folder with 7zip

5. Run start.cmd, pressed yes on UAC alert.

6. select source & clean up source image

7. tried to remove Photos App, Telemetry Client

8. Targetinvocation Error pop up.

I used non-refresh en-us MSDN RS5 image. 17763.107
    I followed readme.txt perfectly.

I envy that you can use this tool flawlessly...

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    17763.107 actually is a refresh iso, it's 17763.1 + CU KB4464455. MSFT calls it a re-release but in fact it's a refresh iso.

5. kompassorpigo

kompassorpigo MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2016
    On 18323 and Toolkit 9.1, selecting the Remove menu goes directly to the Customize menu. How can I remove stuff?

6. windows builder

windows builder MDL Addicted

Sep 13, 2017
    There is no support for version 19H1 yet.

7. kompassorpigo

kompassorpigo MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2016
    Is there any other way to remove components prior to installing? NTLite?

8. chblock

chblock MDL Member

Jan 9, 2017
    #9608 chblock, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Tools for removing Windows components are far from abundant. I know of ntlite (which I haven't tried) and MSMG Toolkit. Just be happy it's possible at all. The tools do some registry tweaking to make these components available to remove so it's not something trivial to do manually.

It was actually much easier to manually remove components in previous versions, but they changed the component store in recent versions and it's more involved now. I've been hacking on the Windows registry since win95 and I wouldn't mess with it myself.

9. InstantAli3n

InstantAli3n MDL Junior Member

Dec 17, 2014
    @MSMG I really really hate to ask, but do you forsee the potential for a version release within the next 5 or so days that takes care of most sfc errors and allows dism (for 1809 LTSB)?

If not, or if you can release a partially updated version, could you make a quick note (again sorry!) on what I should not touch so I can retain sfc and dism repair functionality in the image. I don't like asking anything to slow you down.
    I'd much rather donate "to the cause", so you might be able to upgrade your hardware to speed up your build environment, etc.

PS, the HP EX920 NVMe SSD is only $150-160 for 1TB and is really the best bang for the buck. It does save a LOT of time with certain tasks over a regular SSD, although I imagine the CPU is the biggest bottleneck for you.

10. biatche

biatche MDL Senior Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Yeah, I need to do a second deployment also soon..... but then if its not ready................ then its not... Though it'd be nice to see the main issues fixed, just the main ones.

11. biatche

Nov 14, 2009
    We could somehow put together a joined donation for the ssd.

12. Yanta

Yanta MDL Junior Member

May 21, 2017
    I'm on a pension, but this tool is invaluable. I'd be willing to pitch in, even if it's not a lot. Personally, I would hope more people would also be willing to pitch in too. The better system @MSMG has benefits us all.

13. biatche

Nov 14, 2009
    Though, if it's for MSMG to do his testing, I do think a disk with higher rated write endurance is better. You'd want enough space to house multiple virtual machines, and a fast processor to get the installation done fast. By enough space, 256-512 would usually do. 1TB is somewhat excessive for this purpose.

14. biatche

Nov 14, 2009
    #9615 biatche, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    I still think in his case, 512GB max is enough, there's enough TBW for many rounds of testing. Reason is, in future, as ssd's get even more developed, price will drop more and so will endurance and performance.. like pcie 4.0, etc etc.

You won't stick with the same ssd forever..

15. Yanta

Yanta MDL Junior Member

May 21, 2017
    Do we know what motherboard @MSMG has? Does he have an m.2 connector?

16. chblock

chblock MDL Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Probably should ask MSMG what he needs, but if he does need better hardware I'd be willing to pitch in. I think his tool fills a sorely empty void for things helpful in Windows deployment, I sure appreciate it. Really MS should provide the ability to deselect these packages out of the box, but they won't give it up.

17. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Remember MinWin? MS dont want you removing sweet fa because it gives them all the control and leaves you with none. .

18. Yanta

Yanta MDL Junior Member

May 21, 2017