Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Well the waiting is over and after a few glitches which delayed things a bit I am now happy to say....

MRP 106.0 Baseline has been uploaded, 2nd post download link, password and hashes updated. :)

+ Added removal of some 'Safe' Apps from the OS/Edition during Oobe/Windows Setup.

The 'Safe' list that can be removed are:
    Netflix, Twitter, Messaging, Skype, Zune, SoundRecorder, Office (Hub/OneNote), CandyCrush, Farmville, Minecraft, RoyalRevolt, Facebook, 3DBuilder, 3DViewer, Wallet and SolitaireCollection.

You can select them individually or all the list if required. It is experimental and may not always work as expected on some Languages or Editions. But in testing they was removed and did not come back!

When using this new 'feature/option' MRP will automatically set the 'Prevent Store from Auto-Updating Apps' this allows the feature to work properly and stops the Windows Setup from reinstalling them within a few minutes. The Store works as normal and if you wish to revert the 'Prevent Store updating Apps' there is a script within the 'Optional\Misc_ExtraScripts\Windows8.x-10_General' folder within the Archive to re-enable that option.

Other Apps such as Edge, Cortana, Feedback etc are more tougher to remove during Oobe/Setup stage for those you will need to use other tools which are outside the scope of MRP.

Using this new 'feature' and the current 'Slim' Menu option things look a lot neater on the Win 10 Menu(s).

+ Updated Reason Codes for more clearer information on some descriptions.

+ Updated memory used percentage to be more accurate. If any problems it may not show, not important.

+ Updated more of the log design.

+ Updated the MRPConfigCreator (v10.0) with the new W10Apps tab so you can make your removal selections, you will need to run the Creator as Administrator to access the 'Advanced Mode' to make your choices.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  4. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    @mxman2k, can you include the ability for MRPConfigCreator to look for a "saved" MRPConfig.ini file in the MRPConfigCreator folder and if found, to load that MRPConfig.ini file using the MRPConfigCreator GUI?

I realize that the MRPConfig.ini file can be edited with a text editor, but the GUI is so much easier to view and modify what has been done previously… Just say’n… :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    its a bit difficult as there are so many elements to the config now, may not be able to do all the options, will see what i can do in the new year. Can't promise anything at the moment.

6. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Sorry for the confusion, I meant, just be able to edit the entries previously made by the user instead of starting over from scratch each time with the GUI...

7. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    i know, i was explaining that it awkward as there is over 100 options to parse into it and recheck etc.

8. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello and Merry Christmas,
    I have a quick question. Can I put any batch/script file in the \Optional\Misc_ExtraScripts folder, will it be executed? Let say I name a batch called runme.bat, will it be ran, or will it be ignored/?
    Thank You.

9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    The Optional\Misc_ExtraScripts folder contains scripts that are designed to be run AFTER the OS has been installed to either undo a certain option or to use one that was forgot.

They are not intended to be run during OS installation and they are not looked for/used, plus if you tried to rename or force use them you could end up with a screwed installation as most use the PAUSE command and you would not see any messages so the installation would appear 'stuck' or 'hung' as it is waiting for user input.

There is a ReadMe file within the Misc_ExtraScripts which does explain this.

10. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you, you remembered what I was trying to do. Do you think in the future n\you could include some of the stuff from the answer files?

11. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #4471 mxman2k, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    (OP)
    I'm not quite sure what you mean or what specific options are needed to be included as separate scripts.

Quite a few of the options are not reliable as extra external scripts due to the nature in how they work as during oobe/setup they are done with System or NT_Authority permissions by default.

This is why not every one is also a separate script.

Likewise a few of the extra scripts cannot be used during oobe, such as change Computer Name, only m$ knows the specific timing for that and all my attempts met with hung installs or total aborts.

Plus you cannot change DMI entries such as Model Name etc for the same reason as Setup will read those in and if they are changed midway during install then it confuses the Setup and a screwed or aborted installation will occur too.

12. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #4472 mxman2k, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    (OP)
    **Edited 27th Dec**

Working on MRPCreator v11 (with partial editing)

I now have a 'working' test version.

There are some limitations and i may not be able to fix those.

It will check for a MRPConfig.ini file in the same location as the Creator EXE is, so if your ini is on the desktop and the MRPCreator is on the desktop too, it will detect it and ask if you wish to reload the ini.

However as mentioned there are limitations and they are as follows...

Will not read in:

On Tab 3 - C/T Menus {Advanced Mode)
    Administrative Tools - any User entered text renaming entries.

The above is done by design as they have very complex option sections and it not always work when being parsed, so have ignored this section/tab in the load and parse routine, to prevent errors.

--------------------------------
    But the majority seem to load in ok.

You will have to check each tab to see if you need to adjust anything.

If it works then great, if not, then it is better than nothing at all and having to start from scratch each time as you only have a few bits to check or edit/enter etc.

To get this far has taken since 8 am this morning until 7 pm (GMT) and happy it is in some sort of functional state.

I may release it as a beta or on a PM for a test version only, it is not finished as i still need to do a few other bits besides the ini parsing. The code has reached over 4,300 lines and growing needs a bit of sorting out!

13. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Updated this post with developments with the Creator/Editor :)

14. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
  15. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Update for MRPCreator/Editor V11.0

The only items that cannot be read in and parsed are now:

Custom Theme selection - You will have to set that again.

Anything on the 'C/T Menus' tab - You will have to re-enter your new wording if you had done before. - This is because this uses a special InputBox which is awkward to set because it is a user selection system.

Other than the above the reading of a previous ini file contents all works - even the 'Control Panel View' and 'Allow Apps From' radio selections, also 'Drive Name' and 'Model Name'. :)

For best results use a ini from version 9.0 onward as some older ini selections will not work.

16. AsaadSoft

AsaadSoft MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2015
    when v11 will be released ??

17. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Very soon :)

Just a few last minute bits to sort out.

Will release it as a separate entity until the next MRP as it will be included in that anyway.

Not even started on the next MRP or QT as taking a break plus it has taken all my spare time to sort this Creator/Editor out which was something i wanted to do for ages but never got the time, now that 'to-do' is in progress and is almost done.

More info soon, as working on a part of the code which needs testing more. Results so far are looking hopeful. :)

If this part passes the testing stage with minimum glitches then there will be only one limitation which is not really that important as far as i am concerned and not want to spend any more time on the Creator/Editor than is needed or it will never get sorted.