Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP 107.2, (will become v108), is in progress and at the moment one new option in testing...

Disable OS Upgrade - This should delay 'feature' upgrades to the next build, such as RS4 to RS5... It does work on my own PC which is still on RS2 and on my other test laptop which is on RS3, it has denied upgrades to RS4+ so far in testing.

As a secondary measure it will also set the delay in the Advanced section of Windows Update in W10 to 364 days. You may wonder why i chose 364 and not the maximum of 365, well in my tests if it is set to the max WU has a sneaky tenancy to revert it to zero!

As M$ keep messing about with WU i cannot guarantee this option will work all the time so it is best to keep a check on the WU advanced settings page to make sure they not reset the delay settings when a new CU has been applied.

This does not affect normal SSU/CU/etc updates only for the 'forced' upgrading to next build. For Home Editions this may also not work due to the nature of those OS's, but there are other options such as 'Metered' which may slow them down.

I have put the option in the Extra's tab of the ConfigCreator/Editor as an 'Advanced' option, it can also set for other OS's but it is primarily designed for Windows 10 as the older OS's may just ignore the registry settings anyway.

Failing that you can use the other tools found on MDL to prevent/hide such upgrades/updates etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
  3. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    QT v85 as you can see is in testing :)

The DMI routine has been upgraded, (again), to check for any invalid characters which some manufacturers, (Zoostorm being one), that have sneaked in a '&' character which causes part of the script to glitch, this has now been fixed and it will now filter the entries, plus hopefully remove any leading, within and trailing spaces.

Sadly this adds about 2 to 5 seconds to the overall processing depending on the system being checked CPU speed etc, a small contribution which does prevent those one off faults. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Ampersand is known to glitch many scripts. MS used or still uses it internally to mark hotkey letters in menus (so &Save becomes Save). Also used as control and concatenation character at the command line.

Other potential troublemakers: ! " ' < | >

7. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Oh, so you have an "emo" filter routine. What's her name? :D

Aye, take your time. No need to rush, we're not MS.

9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Sadly no name for the routine, although i have said a few choice 'names' when trying to fix things :D:D cannot type them here or i be banned :p

10. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Progress has been made with the OS Upgrade blocker routine....

On 1607 it used to do the updates and then sneak on the list the upgrade to a later build, this is now appears prevented. :) thanks @Enthousiast for the many tests when i was refining the right reg entries.:hug2:

Same with RS2 it tried to upgrade to 1709 then 1803 etc, but that too is now prevented.

Not that we get any new CU's for those older 1703 or less builds now. It just stops them from whining about upgrading.

Hopefully it will also prevent 'forced' upgrades for say (RS4) 1803 to 1809 (RS5) +, so far it has not been offered on my tests...

Has took quite a few goes and refining, as i mentioned before it is experimental and may not always work due to how m$ likes to 'tweak' things... If they change stuff again the routine will be updated on the next MRP release to compensate.

There is a revert script to undo the option if required and a reboot is needed after the script has been ran and this should return the OS back to default un-deferred.

Cannot
    100% guarantee it will, as there may be other areas in the registry that could be affected as a side effect, so use the option with caution!

Note using this 'Advanced' option you may have some areas greyed out in PC Settings>Windows Update>Advanced section this is normal as some are policy edits.

More info later... :)

11. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP is now at 108.0.RC1 (Release Candidate 1) stage..... :)

All being well a new baseline release will be very soon...

12. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  13. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP 108 is now at RC3 stage and looking very close to becoming BC1 (baseline candidate 1).

Took a while to get this release sorted as the Disable OS Upgrade stuff is quite complicated, well m$ seems to have made it so because they keep changing things about and their documentation isn't always correct/up to date, plus the subtle changes for different Win 10 builds they sneak in not help matters either!

There has also been some internal restructuring to the whole project done to help prevent strange things happening when using 'other' external scripts.

Query Tool 85.0 is about code complete, so that will be released maybe sometime today. :)

14. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Query Tool v85.0 has been uploaded, 2nd post download link, password and hashes updated. :)

+ Updated DMI checking again to prevent a specific crash that can happen if the DMI data contains invalid characters.

+ Extra filtering on critical areas to prevent odd results in the text output.

+ Added Branch Readiness Level, this may not always show if the values are not set within the OS. This usually indicates the current branch/channel such as CB/Semi Annual [Targeted] or CBB/Business/Semi Annual it can sometimes indicate Insider/Preview channels.

+ Added CPU Max Speed data.

+ New code added to be ready for 19h1 builds.

+ Code restructure in some areas.

15. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  16. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  17. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Fantastic work as alwaysD