Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. gu mail

gu mail MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2019
    Out of curiosity, since Windows Loader is not supposed to work on GPT format, and the process did work as you suggested. Did Windows Loader just do what MRP was supposed to do?

i.e. if I understand correctly Windows Loader injects a script that runs each time windows boots, but in my case, this script injection did not happen because I have a GPT format.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Windows Loader works on GPT, ONLY when a valid slic is found. On GPT it won't install the bootloader emulation, only the oem:slp key and the corresponding certificate.

And yes, that's what MRP is supposed to do too.

3. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5243 mxman2k, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    (OP)
    I edited a m/board to match your HP dmi data... Also added the HP SLIC...

My debug results:
    Code:
    ====================
       DMI Processing
    ====================
    CSNAME             : DMI + Database = Possible Match [HP]
    CSNAME {Conf}      : DMI + Database = Match [HP] - via Conflict Resolution.

DMI conflicts was detected.

DMI query routine has completed.

Checking any SLIC Data.

HP [#08] SLIC v2.1 found for possible Windows 7 OEM activation.

Bypassed Virtual Machine data checks as DMI [HP] was detected.

HP [#01] manufacturer was detected for automated theme/branding.
    Checking database for OEM-SLP Product Key
    HP OEM-SLP Product Key was found and applied.
    Check for OEM XRM-MS Certificate.
    XRM-MS OEM Certificate will be applied.
    Which is correct...

The only differences was that the board i used did not have UEFI bios or GPT HDD format and so only MBR was available, also no NVMe slot/capability. Not that those should of made any change to the results...

I have now added more error checking in that area and the next MRP should show a code if it fails to find a SLP-Key etc for whatever reason caused the failure.

I have had a friend who has a HP desktop to do a test w7 install and the results was activated, like my test was, however his newer desktop had UEFI/GPT but no NVMe.

I doubt the NVMe drive could cause the strange glitch.

Therefore i can only say it is one of those weird HP/Compaq scenarios where a combination of factors caused the project to fail activating Win 7 via the usual SLIC+Cert+Key methods.

That manufacturer has always been a thorn in the side of MRP, with Lenovo being a close 2nd! :D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gu mail

gu mail MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2019
    Appreciate the follow-up!

So then could you simply have MRP run the same code that Windows Loader runs to insert the key+cert ? Also, is there any reason this couldn't be run on-demand by the user after Windows is installed?

5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Technically MRP will 99.9% of the time insert the key+certificate which matches the SLIC within the bios.

The Loader i believe is written in c# or c++ which i am not familiar with, but MRP does do a similar job, but for some reason in your case it failed.

The code within the project is quite complex because of all the changes over time, sadly there will always be something new that trips up the project, i try to eliminate as many bugs as possible.

The project is designed to be only run during windows setup. I have not changed the process to allow manual activation etc later as to be honest there are other methods such as the loader which can insert the key+cert.

At some time in the future i will be working on a 'after install branding' which may add SLIC activation but due to personal reasons i not have the time to do this yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. gu mail

gu mail MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2019
    I understand. Was just curious. I'm all set up on my end now so wasn't looking for a new solution from MRP.

Good luck whenever you decide to undertake the after install branding project!

7. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    HP/Compaq has always been an adjustment from time to time. You would think they would use one damn name and stick to it. lol

8. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
  9. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  10. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP 117 is now in RC1 stage :)

Mainly a 'bug' fix release for Win7/Vista/Servers for the SLP-Key/Cert routines which has new error checking.

Also a W10 {19H1+} only option which is under testing... Disable 'Activity History' data collection, this should stop any of the user's activities being 'recorded' and potentially sent to m$ etc.

Some of the MRP's internal code has been updated which should help to be more efficient in operation.

11. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  12. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  13. JanCerny

JanCerny MDL Senior Member

Sep 13, 2012
    #5254 JanCerny, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019

Attached Files:

14. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5255 mxman2k, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    (OP)
    Re-checking MRP code to see why it is failing....

*EDIT* 7+ hours later :p

Hopefully have now sorted the key/cert glitch. :)

For some weird reason a variable was null'ed, (set as nothing), when it should of contained the 'Edition' name, took a few hours to sort it and several failed installs.

It was not just on HP/Compaq it also could affect other OEM brands.

Have now done a few installs on different machines i have - that have a SLIC 2.1 and now they all install the required OEM-SLP, (which can be a default one as they are not brand specific, such as Gigabyte which does not have a Professional SLP-Key,) also the Certificate routine is now used as it was bypassed before if the 'pidkey' or the 'Edition' variables was not set.

This did not affect win 8.x/10 as they not use OEM-SLP/Cert's.

15. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  16. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5259 mxman2k, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    (OP)
    MRP is now at Baseline Candidate 1 stage :)

Two new options added for Windows 10 Only:

1) Disable Activities - as mentioned in a previous post.

2) Prevent Telemetry - This attempts to stop most 'Telemetry' aspects such as: Setting Feedback/Reporting to Basic/Never, disable Digitrack, CEIP and AppCompat. You will still need to do your own tweaks or use Wintel.cmd if you wish to go further.

Note: Using either one or both of the above options you may notice some OOBE screens do not show. This is a odd side effect but MRP should set the Telemetry ones to 'off'. Works same sort of way if you used AutoUnattend.xml to skip those screens, but this is not using any XML - it is done purely by reg entries and disabled tasks. :D

Also fixed the EnhancedSearch routine which sometimes not set it and left it as Classic. Plus added new error checking so that if SSDTweaks or DisableSearchIndexing is used then this option will not work.

QT v99.0 is also almost ready.

17. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Query Tool v99.0 has been uploaded, 2nd post download link, password and hashes updated. :)

+ Will now show if Windows 10 has either the Feature or Quality Updates status has been 'Denied/Disabled' or Enabled {=default}.

+ Shows the status of the 'Windows Firewall', if it is enabled or disabled etc.

+ Shows the CPU0's Microcode data.

+ Updated Reason Codes.

+ Some internal code re-optimization.

MRP v117 is at BC5 stage and will be ready for release by the end of this weekend.